Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I had the same issue installing from the setup file. As you i tried to download via the STO downloader. As i deleted that file from my downloads the setup file continued to work as needed.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Thank you for all the cool responses! It is nice to see the community being supportive. I hope to have this worked out by tomorrow night.

It appears that after poking around the corruption comes form the data files. While it tells me the DL was successful, the files uncompressed were only about 2gb on my drive. It is most odd. I have been trying to get a second download ging for .. well since I posted so thats about 5 hours ago. It tells me it may start in about 3 more hours. I stuck up a picture of the some of the directories on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2482912...71185/sizes/l/

Anyhow I told the darn file planet down loader that I wanted to use a third party extractor this time. I will give this 7 thing a try if it will run on XP. Someone said it would. I appreciate any help wiht this. It was nice to see a moderator poking in too. I did not try to remove the exe from the uncompressed folder, but I did try moving the uncompressed folder from a few locations. It looks like none of the data files actually were more than about 12k in size, and most were placeholders only. I am trying file planet one more time, then I will consider paying GameStop's restocking fee and buying the game again from one of the places that could actually let me download the game.

I only have two guildies coming over from my current game and one of them is already regretting ordering from GameStop as well. Neither of us will be pre-ordering any upcoming MMO's from this retailer again because of the frustrations caused by lack of dedicated delivery system. I probably would go with Direct2Drive. I did that back when the Vanguard beta came out and their support and download time was wonderful. While the people at Cryptic probably got their hands full, I will be complaining long and loud to my local retailer about the lack of dedicated servers for 'thier' customers. And frankly while I realize that the main thrust of the sales is to the released game on DVD rather than a download source, it still should be a consideration. The wording of pre-order language on the GameStop materials was rather misleading.

If this was a season of "24" on the Fox network, I would already be on my second season! Hooray for an early renewal!

On the bright side it gives me more time to think of a cool name for my vessel!
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Nice, so Win7 just silently corrupts the files on unzips? Bloody brilliant. Thanks for the great detective work guys, we'll add it to the download wanings!
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-13-2010, 05:35 AM
It's possible that the zip was created with a compression algorithm newer than the ones Windows understands.. e.g compressed using a very recent version of Winzip.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-13-2010, 06:05 AM
My install didn't get corruped in win 7, however, for whatever reason it did decide to delete the original .pigg files out of my install directory. I was not amused.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Nice, so Win7 just silently corrupts the files on unzips? Bloody brilliant. Thanks for the great detective work guys, we'll add it to the download warnings!
As for me well then.. I being the right proper long term member of the Gspy [a IGN co] used them as my first choice for Beta Client D/L the bottlenecks were horrendous..
Even when i selected West Coast No Waiting line well ahead of the Curve [i'm college educated ,i swear [often] ] at my pc. The file as being choked or throttled down My ISP connection speed stayed true on course at 11-18 mbps.. but i was receiving the field at Dial up speed. avr 20-91kb

After the 4th try loading the client sorry coffee 5th try and getting a Error on a file that wont decompress on the
load screen status bar phase of Engaging the Fun.. I went back to the D?L link page you have and hit Torrent.
oh boy oh boy.. After I hit Run MAcro for the Torrent and had 0 speed now im up to BBS C-64 14.4 quality from the D/L end of the equation MAtey.. actually 8.23kb on the rcv end whilst my steam is at 18+mbps..
wheres the server Ceylon? Crikey.. 0.02% D/l so far.. man i could get more out of a phone cradle modem and a twix... [olds school Teletype with punch tape for a save file..ever see a cardpunch Univac or Control data or check printer in a data base musaeus.. im having flash backs of bear skins and stone knife computer days man.. Ti-4 days man]
update breaking the 23.0kb barrier holy chuck Yeager tis fast. 32.2 means and all -day at this rate.
My empirical measure of success is success. SO i cancelled the D/L

first try at the torrent my XP flashed a unrecognized file unable to run next try on run macro launched the Download box that was acting exactly like the FilePlanet one.
I used the Atari/cryptic link... glad i didn order the digital ver instead of the Beta Trail cause its too slow and I'm not in Togo or Tahiti here.
We'll soldier on thru this cause I'm too stubborn and remember the kindness of AWEN all those months and a last decade..ago. now i must ready my taxi service to take pater out of towne for a retirement dinner gathering.. I'll be back at you like a Feringi [sp] on latinum later today..
Lt. Commander
# 17 Bad Idea to use file planet
01-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Who's bright idea was it to use fileplanet as a download site. I started at 2 pm cst yesterday before work . I came home at 11 pm cst and it was still showing me in que witha 2 hour wait time. No I didnt pay for a fileplanet subscription that I will only use once I used the free dowload server that said 38 minutes. Well I let it set till this morning at 6 am cst and still in que. I finally gave up and a friend told me to check the torrent download which is actually getting me somewhere. Wish I had known that yesterday.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-13-2010, 06:57 AM
I've never had any luck downloading very big files from FilePlanet. Usually just unzipping the file with the newest version of Winzip will fix the problem however. I downloaded the client off of usenet in about 10 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-13-2010, 08:21 AM
I really like that all these third party downloaders that cryptic dicied to use will let you download the beta at snail speed but if you join their site for the low low price of 49.99 you can downlaod it at lightspeeds what the Hell cyptic i already paid for this
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Well I thought I would stick in an update. I watned to thank the people who posted to this thread. My file from File Planet was well and truly hosed. I started downloading last night again. In the morning it turns out that MS pushed out an XP patch and my machine repooted during the download, but it would not continuye the download from where it started to I had to download the thing a third time. The wait was down to about an hour and the there wer eonly like 100 people trying to still download it this morning. The transfer was farily quick, and I had to go to work, but it seems to ahve gotten the entire thing this time around.

So I installed it, and like they said it jsut copies files rather than installing most of them, so that was fast, now I am facing the rather large patch, which also seems to be going slow. Anyhow I am still excited about the posibility of participating today.

Reading many fo the other techical problem threads while I have been waiting has been interesting. I already upgraded my graphics card, not sure what to do about my sound card though. Myy vendor does not seem to have a lot of information about it.

I was also surprised that my post from yeterday was alreayd on page 9 of the threads. Took me quite a while to find it.