Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 1 Akira Sulu - Lineage
01-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I was reading Sulu's brief biography when I first met him and something is bit off about his lineage. It says his great-grandfather is Sulu ST: Original and his grandmother is from ST: Generations. If that is the case then, his surname should not be Sulu. It should be something else. Maybe use Sulu as a middle name but not his surname. The only way for Sulu to have the same last name as his grandmother, she would have had a son out of wedlock.

The other option is to change his grandmother connection to a grandfather and mention his grand aunt (the Sulu from ST: Generations. I know it would add a layer to the Sulu family but it would make it more inline with real life naming schemes.

Sincerely,

LST808
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Good eye! I wouldn't have caught that without you saying something.

Have you considered submitting a bug report in the game itself? That way you'd have twice as much of an opportunity to get someone in charge to take a look and see your concern.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 07:35 PM
i dont see the problem... theres people now who get the mothers last name instead of the fathers... so why not in the future? theres also lots of ppl who dont really have a/know their father , again i dont see the problem?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I know some Spanish famlies incorporate their mothers name as part of their last names, could this be the way Japanese famlies do it as well?

I did find this in wikipedia:

"In many cultures (notably Western, Middle Eastern, and African) the family name is normally the last part of a person's name. In other cultures, the family name comes first. The latter is often called the Eastern order because Europeans are most familiar with the examples of China, Korea, Japan and Vietnam."
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
In many asian families, the girls inherit their surname from their mother, and boys from their father. It would break tradition to do otherwise, and naming conventions stand out of respect for culture. It would break with Star Trek tradition for the Sulu family not to follow customary naming conventions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
what if his grandmother had married into the family? ie if she married Hikaru's son. That would keep the name going... gotta admit that I have no idea about the whole cannon/continuity thing though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Maybe he just uses Sulu to get his foot in the door in order to rise in the ranks of Starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
OP is very misinformed with how people inherit the last name of a bloodline, it is done in several ways, it's not formal or some government mandated law of how a person inherits their last name.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Raises the broader question of what is the real last name?

Many asian names are Last First.

So was Sulu his first or last name?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LST808 View Post
I was reading Sulu's brief biography when I first met him and something is bit off about his lineage. It says his great-grandfather is Sulu ST: Original and his grandmother is from ST: Generations. If that is the case then, his surname should not be Sulu. It should be something else. Maybe use Sulu as a middle name but not his surname. The only way for Sulu to have the same last name as his grandmother, she would have had a son out of wedlock.

The other option is to change his grandmother connection to a grandfather and mention his grand aunt (the Sulu from ST: Generations. I know it would add a layer to the Sulu family but it would make it more inline with real life naming schemes.

Sincerely,

LST808
Hi. This is the forum for gameplay bugs...