Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 1 Force AA on ATI HW?
01-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Has anyone found a way to force AA on ATI cards yet? The Catalyst Control Panel setting has no effect.

I am going to try CrossFire Xtension v1.4 when the servers come back up.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Read somewhere that AA disabled for ATI cards is a known problem and will be worked on. I wouldn't worry about forcing it and to be honest I don't see the jaggies in this game like some others. I'll wait instead of trying to force the setting.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillysan
Read somewhere that AA disabled for ATI cards is a known problem and will be worked on. I wouldn't worry about forcing it and to be honest I don't see the jaggies in this game like some others. I'll wait instead of trying to force the setting.
It was posted in the patch notes that it was disabled to prevent anomalies... anomalies that no one has ever seen or heard of.

Its not going to break the servers or my computer to try to force it, so there is no real downside to trying If it did end up causing problems, the worst case scenario would be that I would need to disable it... makes no sense!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylr616 View Post
It was posted in the patch notes that it was disabled to prevent anomalies... anomalies that no one has ever seen or heard of.

Its not going to break the servers or my computer to try to force it, so there is no real downside to trying
I saw them in closed beta. White squares filling the screen so you couldn't see anything else. It was pretty bad.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigknees View Post
I saw them in closed beta. White squares filling the screen so you couldn't see anything else. It was pretty bad.
Then it should be disabled by default and maybe a pop-up warning when being enabled... can always change it back if it gives us trouble. I've seen more than a few folks from CB post that AA worked fine for them on ATI HW.

If anyone has found a way, I'd be interested
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylr616 View Post
Then it should be disabled by default and maybe a pop-up warning when being enabled... can always change it back if it gives us trouble. I've seen more than a few folks from CB post that AA worked fine for them on ATI HW.

If anyone has found a way, I'd be interested
AA was hit or miss. It caused crashing, Visual artifacts, or it was perfect. I was one of the few it was "perfect" for, but to be honest, I don't like AA really...

This saves cryptic the trouble of dealing with people who don't pay attention to the warnings of AA being broken.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
ADVANCED USER WARNING

Someone with an NVidia graphics card with AA maxed, post the content of their \star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\gameprefs.prefs file while the game is running.

You'll have to launch STO (even just at the character login screen), then alt+tab out. The contents of the .prefs file changes after you launch the game.

You should be able to alter the advanced settings and flag the file as read only to sneak past the AA check. There are also some settings in here you cant tweak IG if you're interested in really fine-tuning your graphics & settings.

Some intrepid modders might as well start tweaking here and posting their bug reports / findings as well. I'm sure Tweak-Guides will have a comprehensive walkthrough on getting the best performance out of STO, and what some of these settings mean a month or so after launch anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I feel I should point out that AA in CoH has been broken for years. Don't get your hopes up about this particular bug being fixed, I think its a problem with the most basic code in their generic game engine.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterhawk View Post
I feel I should point out that AA in CoH has been broken for years. Don't get your hopes up about this particular bug being fixed, I think its a problem with the most basic code in their generic game engine.
That better not be the case. I WILL NOT buy into the monthly subscription if they don't fix this issue. I didn't pay 60 bucks for the game and the likely 15 a month for a game without 100% functionality.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterhawk View Post
It was working perfectly in beta until they added new effects