Captain
# 851
12-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the review Evil, I'll start changing stuff. Do you think replacing Next buttons with "-Continue listening-" or something similar would work in places where a player response is not needed?

Also, I don't know why the interaction animations didn't work for you. I did notice a lag in their activation sometimes, mainly on vandalization, but they always showed for some amount of time. In CatStar's video of the mission, you can also see his character smashing a console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Career Officer
# 852
12-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Feel free to add my mission to the list:

Title: A Taste of Collateral Damage
Author: BorrowedTune
ID: ST-HPMDJ5JQR
Allegiance: Starfleet
Career Officer
# 853
12-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Cube 571

ST-HBCZIGTCK
AUTHOR: SmokinsSoulmate
level: 41+
federation based
Note: For the intial stages you must read the NPC Text. As this an Intelligence mission you only get told things once.

forum post http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=963751

Story based.

Combat & Story = balanced

Play time: 1hr-2hrs solo 1 hour teamed.

Authors comments: I am really excited for this mission, I started planning for it in the middle of Season 7. I decided to take my time with it instead of rushing potential ruin a good mission. I get excited every time I play the mission and it sure does make me think all the way through. I am really excited and hope others will enjoy this mission too.

As this is my first mission I got a lot of help from the community and took their insights to make the Mission better than I originally had intended.

I hope you all enjoy it!
2 mins preview My 1st Foundry mission Cube 571 Coming Dec 24 Trailer
Short 10 sec trailer for Cube 571

The one good thing about being Borg you never need tech-support
Before you post in the STO tech support forum

Last edited by smokinssoulmate; 12-29-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 854
12-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the review Evil, I'll start changing stuff. Do you think replacing Next buttons with "-Continue listening-" or something similar would work in places where a player response is not needed?
As always I am glad I could help refine your mission.

With regard to the "-Continue listening-" vice the default response or "Next" it is simply the flow of the dialogue that I am interested in here. Those responses just do not feel as if they are part of the story. This is especially true when the dialogue is a report from a BOFF or something similar to that. As an author the goal should be to draw the player in and make them feel as if they are part of the story. This can be done by giving the player multiple responses to the dialogue or by giving a specific response to the dialogue rather than the default. Of course there are times when "Continue" might work in the dialogue but in those circumstances I recommend using "..." as a response. The responses are important to draw the player into the story especially if it is a longer story. They tend not to notice if the story is well written and they feel as if they are a part of it rather than just an observer. Also in those circumstances I would recommend a "Skip Dialogue" button strategically placed with a summary of what the player needs for the mission. This will help the players who do not like longer stories.

Quote:
Also, I don't know why the interaction animations didn't work for you. I did notice a lag in their activation sometimes, mainly on vandalization, but they always showed for some amount of time. In CatStar's video of the mission, you can also see his character smashing a console.
The lack of animation I noted could very well be lag times in the system. The main thing I was concerned about was the fact that the player is supposed to be vandalizing a console or crates and nothing appears to change in or around the area. For example if the player is to vandalize a console you should add a small explosion and smoke to the console that is triggered when the player completes that task. If it is crates then consider adding debris to the area that triggers when the interaction is completed. This would make it feel more like the player had done something regardless of the animation itself.

I hope this helps clarify my report in more detail for you. As I have said many times before, the authoring of missions makes the play environment far richer than it would be without it.
Thanks for authoring.
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details. Also see Evil 70th's list of missions at "Evil 70th's Missions".
Starfleet Veteran
# 855
12-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrowedtune View Post
Feel free to add my mission to the list:

Title: A Taste of Collateral Damage
Author: BorrowedTune
ID: ST-HPMDJ5JQR
Allegiance: Starfleet
Hey BorrowedTune,

Welcome to the queue. Your mission is 12th in the queue behind voporak. I will get to the mission review as soon as I can.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details. Also see Evil 70th's list of missions at "Evil 70th's Missions".
Starfleet Veteran
# 856
12-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinssoulmate View Post
ST-HBCZIGTCK
AUTHOR: SmokinsSoulmate
level: 41+
federation based
Note: For the intial stages you must read the NPC Text. As this an Intelligence mission you only get told things once.

forum post http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=963751

Story based.

Combat & Story = balanced

Play time: 1hr-2hrs solo 1 hour teamed.

Authors comments: I am really excited for this mission, I started planning for it in the middle of Season 7. I decided to take my time with it instead of rushing potential ruin a good mission. I get excited every time I play the mission and it sure does make me think all the way through. I am really excited and hope others will enjoy this mission too.

As this is my first mission I got a lot of help from the community and took their insights to make the Mission better than I originally had intended.

I hope you all enjoy it!
Hi SmokinsSoulmate,

Welcome to the queue. I was able to follow the link and get the name of the mission from your forum posting but it was not included in your request for a review. Just to be sure is the name of this mission "Cube 571"? Your mission is currently 13th in the queue behind BorrowedTune. I will get to the review just as soon as I can.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Starfleet Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by admirison View Post
Might I request a review for my latest mission, "Alliances and Alignments"? It's been published for a few days now, but it hasn't received any ratings. Kind of sad...

Thank you!
Federation Mission - Alliances and Alignments
Author: admirison
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: ST-HCJ2IS7ST

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a good combination grind and story mission. The map designs are good with several challenging battles throughout and well written story dialogue. If you like a good combination of long, tough battles and good story dialogue then I would recommend this mission to you, although not on Elite level.

Below I mentioned I recommended changing the interact dialogue to be triggered dialogue. While this is not actually an issue it should be considered by authors as an alternative. If the dialogue is not required for the player to complete the mission then they do not have to trigger the dialogue. If they do choose to read the dialogue and it is not needed as a reminder of something then it will disappear after it is completed. This removes the multitude of interact icons on the mini-map and the compass.

One last thought on the dialogue portion of this mission. Since this is a heavy battle oriented mission combined with a story you should consider giving the player the ability to summarize each line of dialogue. To do this I recommend adding a "Skip Dialogue" button which provides the player with a summary of the specific information they need to carry on with the mission.

Below are a couple of things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a well written description but needs a little more story to draw the player in and make them want to click the 'Hail' button. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: Consider adding the sector block to the initial task. This will help the player find your mission start point. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this entry prompt.

MAPS:
Gobodo System: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Gobodo Station: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-This is not necessarily an actual issue but more of a preference. Consider changing the interact dialogue to be triggered dialogue. From this point forward I will note the maps where I see it and will cover this more in depth in the summary above.

Garid System: This is a good map design with several challenging battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Garid Surface: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Salleroy System: This is a good map design with several challenging battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Starbase 877: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Interact dialogue vice be triggered dialogue.

Ravio System: This is a good map design with several challenging battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Ravio Surface: This is a good map design with several challenging battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-Consider changing the map name to "Ravio Command Center".
-Consider moving the enemy mobs away from the spawn point. It makes it difficult to read the initial dialogue once you spawn if you are being immediately engaged.
-When talking to Ambassador Qa'caQ towards the end of the map he does not appear behind the force field. There is a bat'leth there but I do not see the Ambassador.

Ravio Orbit: This is a good map design with several good battles and well written story dialogue. It is a good wrap up to the story. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. While I generally do not like grind missions the addition of the story made it more enjoyable for me. You did a good job developing this mission and I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 12/29/2013 on forum posting for: "Worlds of the Federation"...now live!
Commander
# 858
12-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Hey-o. I'd like a report for my mission, please.

Details
Name: A Personal Favour
Author: nikkojt
Minimum Level: 31+
Project ID: ST-HAOH6LCA6
Estimated mission length: Not sure, would place at...maybe 10 minutes?

Thanks.
I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
Career Officer
# 859
12-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
Hi SmokinsSoulmate,

Welcome to the queue. I was able to follow the link and get the name of the mission from your forum posting but it was not included in your request for a review. Just to be sure is the name of this mission "Cube 571"? Your mission is currently 13th in the queue behind BorrowedTune. I will get to the review just as soon as I can.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Thank you that is correct and I edited the post here. Sorry about that.
2 mins preview My 1st Foundry mission Cube 571 Coming Dec 24 Trailer
Short 10 sec trailer for Cube 571

The one good thing about being Borg you never need tech-support
Before you post in the STO tech support forum
Starfleet Veteran
# 860
12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkojt View Post
Hey-o. I'd like a report for my mission, please.

Details
Name: A Personal Favour
Author: nikkojt
Minimum Level: 31+
Project ID: ST-HAOH6LCA6
Estimated mission length: Not sure, would place at...maybe 10 minutes?

Thanks.
Hi nikkojt,

Thanks for the review request and welcome to the queue. Your mission is currently 13th in the queue behind smokinssoulmate. I will get to your mission as soon as I can.

Thanks for authoring
Brian