Lt. Commander
Hi all, im in a bit of a predicament. Bought a new pc and only game i installed on it was sto. It then started crashing... so i installed warhammer online... identical problem.

Setup is

Intel core i3 cpu 530 @ 2.93ghz overclocked to 4 ghz

4 gb ram

windows 7 32 bit os

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

direct x 11

I did a little bit of research and its happened to alot of people but no real solution, all games crash.
Please help a fellow trekkie!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi, could you be more specific on what is crashing? Is it the game and then you return to the desktop or is the pc hanging and needs a reset? Also could you tell us which drivers your using for your nvidia card, the latest ones seem to be an issue.

Also looking at your spec you've overclocked your CPU a massive ammount, are you sure you have the overlock settings correct for example VCORE etc and memory clock is ok? And do you have sufficient cooling for it?

It might be worth running stress test software for gaming.
Lt. Commander
# 3 try....
01-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Try Downclocking the CPU a little bit.
It doesn't matter how fast the cpu runs stable with windows running... It matters how stable it can run on a full load. There is a good chance you are well on your way to frying your pc. When overclocking you want to start small and put a heavy load on it to see how it reacts, then when it fails you simply set it back to what it was at the previous step and presto! overclocked to a stable speed. Try running Benchmarking software and CPU burn in tests to verify the stability on a full load. You should also be aware that buy overclocking the CPU, you most likely Voided the warranty on the CPU and the MB. Also if you insist on overclocking you should take exrta caution to assure you have proper cooling.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Also you could try to run Prime95, can do CPU or Memory stresstest with it to pinpoint the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-14-2010, 09:51 AM
I'll bet anything that it will work fine if you set that cpu back to stock.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm having the same problem as of today, except my pc is just a bog standard one, no overclocking or anything, just a normal Dell LXPS M1530.

As of *today*, literally, STO has crashed 100% of the time after barely a minute of playing (if that). ******** has also been crashing a lot today all of sudden, which is odd because it was working perfectly not 12 hours ago before I went to work.

I've not downloaded any driver updates or anything besides a single microsoft update last night - my drivers are up to date as far as I can check (I tried to check on Nvidia's site but they're down at the moment), Dell's utility scan hasn't found any problems, Microsoft's malware scanner hasn't found any problems, nor has Norton antivirus's scans.

It's not overheating either, I run my laptop on a cooling pad and the fan is working normally, vents are clean, the motherboard is only a few months old.. blah.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok316uk View Post
Hi, could you be more specific on what is crashing? Is it the game and then you return to the desktop or is the pc hanging and needs a reset? Also could you tell us which drivers your using for your nvidia card, the latest ones seem to be an issue.

Also looking at your spec you've overclocked your CPU a massive ammount, are you sure you have the overlock settings correct for example VCORE etc and memory clock is ok? And do you have sufficient cooling for it?

It might be worth running stress test software for gaming.
the pc came overclocked, www.overclockers.co.uk , the pc turns off completly, only happens in games thus far so im really stuck, is it possible to tone down the over clock myself using programs or something just to see if it works?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Aparently it might be a hardware issue so i might try downclocking the cpu but if its not that then QQ. Lucky im still under warrenty but only just.