Lieutenant
# 51
11-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Beta Report
Mac Mini 2.26 Core 2 Duo 8Gb ram
Nvidia GeForce 9400, 256 MB
OSX v10.9 (fully updated, much to my duress)
Client Version 1.0.009465

Client loads and plays at full resolution beautifully. Able to run everything so far at least as well as the Wineskin client. Default (hi-res) options far superior to the level that must be set to keep the wineskin client happy. [BTW, the Academy is BEAUTIFUL in full res]. Much like most versions of the skin, however, there seems to be a stack heap issue. I can only run so long, or maybe change maps so many times, before the client slows, stalls and crashes.

My first crash killed the client. I eventually trashed it and reloaded the entire thing (then made a backup to an external HD). The new version hasn't crashed yet, but I limit activity to doffing 4 toons and running 1-2 rep missions. this seems to keep it happy.

Superior:
-The text editing on this client is superior to the wineskin. I'm able to click between letters and actually have the cursor land there. Nice.
-No choke hold on the graphics means full res video doesn't slow down the interface.

Inferior:
- The wineskin allows the screen size to be adjusted like any other window (grab the bottom corner and drag to the size you want. I can only seem to get the "windowed" size to change on the mac client to one of 5 default settings. I would prefer to be able to change size randomly, or at least have a 16:9 aspect screen that is only about 1000 pixels wide.

I realize that my machine is a generation behind the minimum suggested specs, but I really think it can handle it. If you would like me to test specific things (Count number of maps before crash, etc) feel free to ask.
Ensign
# 52
12-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipclayberg View Post
Not sure what the minimum system requirements are for the Mac version. I have a Mac Book Pro with 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard OS, and wireless broadband connection (my Win7 desktop PC is the one directly connected to the external modem). Don't remember what the graphics setup is (resolution, memory, etc.).

Definitely looking forward to giving the Mac version of STO a spin and getting myself properly dizzy with delight.
Snow Leopard isn't advanced enough, you need at least Lion, OSX 10.7.5 to get the client to launch.
Republic Veteran
# 53
01-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Bran......do you guys have even beta testers? or our WE the beta testers.......the Crossover version of Mac just hmmmm....trying to be nice....just stinks???? the vid seems to belocked in at 640x480?????? hmm?????? and it crashes all the time...methinks the Mac Beta needs ALOT more work......Crossover is bascially Wine...not much diff...You might have to pay the Crossover guys a load more money to get this to work right...just a thought......hope you are having a nice holiday season!!!!! happy new year Bran!!!
"If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
Ensign
# 54 Only Romulan?
01-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Im sorry if I am being Ignorant, but are the Romulans the only playable faction? Whenever I try and make a Starfleet or KDF character it says, "Character Creation Failed" Then it brings me back to the login screen. Did I notice something? And Im sorry if this type of thing has been posted many times.
Ensign
# 55
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
It's telling me I need a one-time code, and none has been sent to my email that I know of. How do I remedy this?

Last edited by consultingvulcan; 01-04-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I'm clueless.
Starfleet Veteran
# 56
01-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by consultingvulcan View Post
It's telling me I need a one-time code, and none has been sent to my email that I know of. How do I remedy this?
Are you still having the problem? Sometimes it can be finicky.
Ensign
# 57
01-06-2014, 07:36 PM
I am in exactly the same boat koiish and others are in: Mac Pro 1.1 running 10.6.8 and unable to update further due to the loss of Rosetta in subsequent versions.

My Mac Pro is pimped out with upgrades and easily exceeds the minimum hardware requirements, but the OS requirement of Lion takes me out. I find this extremely disappointing.

There are A LOT of Mac users still on 10.6 that are being excluded, a lot more than I think you guys realize.

I'm not saying you have to make sure everything works perfectly in 10.6, just that it has the chance to OPEN and RUN! I'm sure the only thing holding it back is something simple like an OS requirement check in the code.

STO Mac Devs: PLEASE at least let 10.6 be available to run it. You could simply say that it's not recommended.