Lt. Commander
# 21
01-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobox
I, too, have issues with heaps, leading me to believe there could be some bad translation from windows system calls to wine system calls, involving some sort of heap transversal. Looking at some of the errors, maybe there are memory OOB problems happening, but I'm not sure. WTB better third party support.
I'm not getting any heap "errors" from Wine, but from STO itself. I'm getting D3D unrecognised formats and some Shader debugging from Wine, and then the Cryptic error launcher thing.

For the record, a partial dump is at http://pastebin.ca/1752117

I'll point out too, that last line is due to a typo in my .asoundrc, which shows whenever a new app is starting. I haven't fixed the typo, as it gives a good indicator of when wine is spawning new processes The D3D unrecognised format errors and Shader stuff all come basically before the Cryptic logo shows up, so I don't think they're the cause either.

Also, running "GameClient.exe" in Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/ gives the console output, same as adding the "-console" option in Options. Just a quicker way to test things, without having to log in. Don't know if the whole "not logging in" may add to the troubles though.

Scrolled through the console log, saw some errors about PhysX.dll missing, so I installed PhysX via winetricks, now it's giving an "error" that CUDA support isn't found. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I doubt CUDA is a "requirement".
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-15-2010, 12:55 AM
You people are more savvy than me, I shall monitor this thread for the genius solutions that are sure to develop.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Linux Mint 8 Helena (based on Ubuntu 9.10 Jatsy)

I downloaded the beta client and run wine setup.exe
It take a while but the installation went fine.

First error MSVCR80.dll so I run winetricks vcrun2005 and that went ok.

But now I run wine Star Trek Online.exe and I get

c:/Cryptic/tools/bin/GimmeDLL.dll does not exist.

and crash
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
if i try to run startrek online/live/gameclient.exe then i get the errors like
c:/Cryptic/tools/bin/GimmeDLL.dll does not exist. as well

however if i just run startrek online i get a login screen like i expect. it hangs though at the place where it is (or could) patch the game
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
For those of you who cannot get to the launcher/patcher, try launching the game by typing wine explorer /desktop0,800x600 /pathToFiles/Star\ Trek\ Online.exe

This will launch the game in a virtual desktop sized 800x600, and seems to help stability a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I Download new version of wine and i look at launcher but i cant do nothing..

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/876/sto.png
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapway
I Download new version of wine and i look at launcher but i cant do nothing..

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/876/sto.png
Run winetricks to install ie6, and you can get to the loading screen bug with the rest of us.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobox
Run winetricks to install ie6, and you can get to the loading screen bug with the rest of us.
Hahaha brilliant
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-15-2010, 06:58 PM
CUDA is only needed for physx support, which I doubt is working under wine. CUDA is the "Common Unified Driver Architecture" from nVIDIA. So, its obviously not needed.

As for OpenGL and proper running of the game, not needed either. I play Dungeons and Dragons Online, and one of the performance hacks is a tweak to force some settings in D3D. And to be honest, on my iMac with a x2600, the game runs fine at mostly max settings. I am sure it would be perfect without Wine.

I currently am at everyone else's state on both my Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit installs. If I come up with anything I will share.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-15-2010, 07:12 PM
PhysX is somewhat operational as Borderlands uses it.
I run Borderlands quite well under wine.
D3D settings can be tweaked in the registry, i'll share what i can when my game finishes patching 10 GIGS OF CRAP GOODFREAKINGGOSH.
Closed Thread