Commander
# 61
01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalmoco View Post
I don't think Im missing the point on this.. when I constanly repeat my own qoutes.... "I do not want to know what you think... nor do I care"
Then you obviously do not know the purpose of a forum.

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
Commander
# 62
01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
For those of you who have asked, yes, they plan on making ARC mandatory for all their games at some point. And, yes, it will be required to run in the background while you are playing your game. These have been stated in the news stories regarding ARC.
Dezstravus and the rest of the devs, for some reason, have refused to answer the question of why it needs to keep running during game play.

I for one do not like the idea of making ARC mandatory. I only play STO. In fact, STO is the ONLY mmo that I play. I am not a fan of them, but this is Star Trek. Also, the browser I use works quite well for me, thank you very much, so I don't need another one. And the chat/social media aspects don't appeal to me. If I want to yap and talk and "socialize" I'll join facebook or twitter or one of those other retarded "social media" sites. I just want to log in and play my game. Nothing more.

I'm not saying they shouldn't develop ARC, although I do agree that the time and resources could have gone into the game instead. What I'm asking is please don't make it mandatory.
There's no dork like an old school dork. You just can't beat experience.
Commander
# 63
01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Why should I want ARC?

I didn't need it till now to launch STO, nor did I need it to buy ZEN nor... it seems just to be another spyware and icon clogging up the tray.

P.S. what "feedback" is wanted, this thing is coming, regardless what we say!
Super Moderator
# 64
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
More website feedback...

Love the "Guides" button from the STO news page. A lot of those were kind of buried on the old site and not easy to get to, so this is welcome.

Not fond of the 'infinite scroll' of articles on the news page from a PC browser, but I can live with it. I imagine it works okay on a phone or tablet, will try it out later. The news page feels busy and cluttered.

I'm not too thrilled with the large side-scrolling tiles on the main Games page, especially for games I'm not interested in. My wife will not be thrilled with the depictions of breasty, scantily clad women on some of those panels and with no way to hide them you're creating a disincentive for me to want to use the site.

I would rather see favored games being more prominent when I log in and the site knows who I am and what my preferences are. And smaller tiles.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 65
01-08-2014, 05:25 PM
PWE Executive Board Meeting:

* "All the players look like ants from up here."
* "They ARE ants, Bill!"

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 66
01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Heh, after seeing most of the other PWE game banners on that webpage, I'd love to have my memory wiped. Are you serious all of those games are downloaded by 100s of thousands?! It's always the same girl in a different costume!

More to the point (and based of the previous couple sentences), I have no need nor do I want to know about and even less play any other PWE games than STO. Therefore any shared platform is completely pointless for me. Given Arc is (no matter how much you try to lighten it) much more bloated than the current simple launcher, it's clearly a disadvantage for me to get Arc.

Therefore, as I have repeated several times: I do not want Arc. Leave me in peace with the current launcher, thank you very much.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Survivor of Romulus
# 67
01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooldork View Post
For those of you who have asked, yes, they plan on making ARC mandatory for all their games at some point. And, yes, it will be required to run in the background while you are playing your game. These have been stated in the news stories regarding ARC.
Dezstravus and the rest of the devs, for some reason, have refused to answer the question of why it needs to keep running during game play.
Yeah, this is the second-biggest sticking point for me. Not all of us have ?berleet gaming laptops. And this software is a giant mass of memory space that I need elsewhere.

Quote:
I for one do not like the idea of making ARC mandatory. I only play STO. In fact, STO is the ONLY mmo that I play. I am not a fan of them, but this is Star Trek. Also, the browser I use works quite well for me, thank you very much, so I don't need another one. And the chat/social media aspects don't appeal to me. If I want to yap and talk and "socialize" I'll join facebook or twitter or one of those other retarded "social media" sites. I just want to log in and play my game. Nothing more.
Precisely. This game is already a little too chatty IMHO. There are already areas of the game that are dumber than Twitbook (EG Earth Spacedock, and the winter wonderland). I don't need more socializing rammed in my face; I just don't have the time for it.

Quote:
I'm not saying they shouldn't develop ARC, although I do agree that the time and resources could have gone into the game instead. What I'm asking is please don't make it mandatory.
And this is the BIG issue. I'm actually sort of ambivalent about ARC...ONLY as long as it is optional. The second it becomes mandatory? I LANCB until it's gone. And I bet a lot of other people are with me.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 68
01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Re: download numbers - Thanks for sharing the feedback. We will pass it along and have someone ensure that all the stats are reflecting accurate data.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 69
01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
so assuming sto can be launched from steam, then i already have an account there, still active even though i dont have much use for it being a pack rat with boxes of games discs. but yeah assuming its launched from there instead of needing arc, thats where i will be.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Captain
# 70
01-08-2014, 05:36 PM
What we are not getting with ARC is answers
1. What the hell does it actually do?
2. Will it's use become mandatory at some point in the future?

Nobodies giving clear answers but considering how they are pushing this thing through it doesn't take a rocket scientist to add things up.

We are only told of what the surface convenience features are, the friends list, the chat client the mini browser, but there is more to this than that. I suspect that a big part of what ARC is is a Peer file sharing program, where everyone's computer that's running ARC is torrenting game files for the company whether they are patching their individual games or not, this is very convenient and cost effective for the company, not so much for the end user.

In any case I don't run mystery software on my computer and I won't run 2 programs to play one game.

An analogy here is getting a "free" music cd but before you can play the disc some guy wants to pop the hood of your car and install a black box without giving you a clear answer of what it's for, not many people would play along with that scenario.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Closed Thread