Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 31
01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
In any case I think the implication is that quite a bit of time passed between Star Treks V and VI, after all the Enterprise senior staff went from just getting a new starship in V to being about to retire in VI. Lots more could have happened in that time period to make him renew his hatred of Klingons.

At least 3 years between them, probably more as Sulu was finishing a 3 year mission on the Excelsior at the start of VI. And I doubt he was promoted to Captain the instant V finished.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Commander
# 32
01-10-2014, 07:19 AM
You could possibly consider the movie as a rising action up to the undiscovered country which was what helped to cap off the series. After all, they were inadvertently still completing Starfleet's mission, to explore strange new worlds. Gene Roddenberry had little to do with the film, (obviously or he would have stressed his atheist point of view more.) Perhaps this film was more of a return to a religious philosophy. And in the mean time we get a few laughs and learn more about Spock and his family.

"Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
Captain
# 33
01-10-2014, 07:30 AM
For all the faults of this film, I still love the camping scenes. It really feels like you'er watching 3 age old friends hanging out and having a laugh.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 34
01-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Funny thing. I watched V again (painful still) There is one thing that is still bugging me about the theory presented especially when he says no references to other films. Wrong. Two big ones come to mind.

1. Enterprise A itself during the whole movie. (A Reference in and of itself to the previous movie)

2. McCoy's line about liking Spock better before he died. (Referencing His death in II, Rebirth in III, and his behavior in IV. It is continued here too.)

I just find that V is just a skip worthy movie.
Survivor of Romulus
# 35
01-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Just leave it right in the continuity where it is, watch it maybe once every decade and otherwise forget about it.

Except when you run my Foundry mission

I
I
V
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Commander
# 36
01-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I've always felt Star Trek V had a number of redeeming factors. I even made a Foundry mission that touches on it, particularly with regards to the nature of the "god" entity. See my sig
Agreed! 2 of my favorite redeeming moments... Kirk questioning "God" and Uhura dancing naked on a dunetop! (that would make any movie worth watching, IMO ).

As to the movie itself... yeah, it has a LOT to pick at. But so does almost every other Trek movie. IMO the Trek movie with the fewest real flaws was ST:TMP... and even it had a lot to criticize.
ZOE: "Sir! You paid money for this?... on purpose??"

KIRK: "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?"
Ensign
# 37
01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisedallen89 View Post
Funny thing. I watched V again (painful still) There is one thing that is still bugging me about the theory presented especially when he says no references to other films. Wrong. Two big ones come to mind.

1. Enterprise A itself during the whole movie. (A Reference in and of itself to the previous movie)

2. McCoy's line about liking Spock better before he died. (Referencing His death in II, Rebirth in III, and his behavior in IV. It is continued here too.)

I just find that V is just a skip worthy movie.
Forgive me. Perhaps I used the wrong word.

When I say that Star Trek V doesn't directly reference the previous films I'm speaking more on a thematic and story level.

For example, events from Wrath of Khan directly play into events in Search for Spock (the Enterprise being badly damaged, Spock being dead.) Events from Search for Spock play into both The Voyage Home (the crew still being in exile and still using the Bird of Prey, Spock recovering after his resurrection) and Undiscovered Country (David's death is mentioned explicitly by Kirk as one of his reasons for not believing in the peace process with the Klingons.)

In contrast Final Frontier's references its predecessors are, at best, made in passing. None of them really carry any overarching plot points or continue themes from the previous films.

As I had said, moving V to the front of the line isn't a perfect fit and yes, you do have to overlook those few throw away lines. My postulation was just fan speculation, similar to watching Star Wars II and III between V and IV as a kind of Tarantino flashback. It?s nothing that could be considered canon, but from a movie goers perspective I find it makes the film more enjoyable (or at least easier to stomach.)