Commander
# 101
01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm gonna go with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Games so slickly trying to cram the illusion of choice and role playing down your throat while they grab your wallet.

Next in line would have to be any modern MMORPG from WoW on. They are what I consider to be the worst in what the gaming industry has to offer. A highly addictive, life consuming and never ending grind with no real sense of fulfillment or accomplishment only a slight promise of one carefully constructed to keep you chasing it until your mom kicks you out of her basement. Or you get a real life.

Last edited by panserbjorne39; 01-09-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Commander
# 102
01-10-2014, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panserbjorne39 View Post
Next in line would have to be any modern MMORPG from WoW on. They are what I consider to be the worst in what the gaming industry has to offer. A highly addictive, life consuming and never ending grind with no real sense of fulfillment or accomplishment only a slight promise of one carefully constructed to keep you chasing it until your mom kicks you out of her basement. Or you get a real life.
That's not a problem of the game but of the player. In an MMO, you always need to set yourself goals.

I felt very fulfilled and accomplished after downing the Lich King on WoW. That's because putting a blade in his frozen gut was a desire I had had since WCIII.
Captain
# 103
01-10-2014, 03:08 AM
One word: Evony

butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
Temperance Brennan, "A building"
Career Officer
# 104
01-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover2 View Post
Dear god, I forgot about that one. Still have it somewhere, I think.

Spend hours and hours building your "perfect" ship (down to the deuterium tanks and computers, if I recall correctly), select all of your officers (with actual photos of cast members) then send it off on a "mission" that amounted to you watching an icon on a primitive map and reading text to learn the mission progress/outcome. I half expected it to tell me I died of dysentery.

I remember hearing somewhere that you could import the ships you built into some other game, but I never bothered.
I had Starship Creator Warp 2, which was no better. My Akira-class, which should have been able to roflstomp any foe short of a Borg tac cube, went down to tribbles because my science officer (Seven of Nine, meow) couldn't figure out just don't feed them.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 105
01-20-2014, 05:05 PM
EVE Online - No question! It looked like it would be an amazing game at first, but eventually you learn that it's nothing but a gankfest. Veteran players do what they can to ensure that new players don't stick around.
Lieutenant
# 106
01-21-2014, 05:50 AM
Divinity 2............ after all the bull**** of beating the game you die and the bad guy wins, not to mention how I had to stop from jumping out of a window because of the game mechanics.
*(How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life)*
Lieutenant
# 107
01-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panserbjorne39 View Post
I'm gonna go with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Games so slickly trying to cram the illusion of choice and role playing down your throat while they grab your wallet.

I can agree with your MMORPG statement. Why pay for a game in which you have to work your ass off? STO included but where else are you gonna find an online star trek game. MMORPGS today lack in story, richness, and incentive. What ever happened to the days where games could keep you on the edge of your seat?
*(How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life)*
Captain
# 108
01-21-2014, 06:06 AM
I would propably go with the old Star Wars Galaxies.

It was just a random bunch of structures and enemies thrown in.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Lieutenant
# 109
01-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Worst game ever... oh my so many choices...

Has to be BSGO. If ever there was promise in a game it was there, under Bugpoint's fingertips, waiting to be released and developed as THE great sci-fi branded space fighter sim. Instead the devs decided that total incompetence, ignorance and belligerence were to be the watchwords. The PvP content was nothing short of brilliant when I first started flying, and flew through 100-a-side battles of ships in their 3 (yet seemingly endless) choice of sizes. Alas in over a year of play, the only developments were increased crashes (blamed on every player's gfx card), game-breaking bugs (ever tried flying a ship that won't turn?), and lies about "no changes during maintenance" which turned out to be utter enjoyment-ruining changes designed purely to enforce spending. Worst game ever? Maybe not, but certainly biggest disappointment and has to get the title for me.

Honourable mentions to some already named: Mass Effect 3 (how can that travesty have followed the magnificence of Mass Effect 2?!?), DragonAge 2 (how can that travesty have followed the magnificence of DragonAge?!?) and any MMO that isn't **apologies seems the name was banned** or STO; they're all unplayable micro-transaction fests as far as I can make out. The one removed by filter is now a micro-transaction fest too, I hear, so it shouldn't count anyway. British-designed and developed, Java-driven, MMORPG based on a pseudo-medieval world with skills, etc.

(Please take note PWE devs; failure to fix a vital game mechanic like FAW after 12 months shows Bugpoint levels of incompetence. Finger-pulling-out required!)

Last edited by scoustar; 01-21-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Ensign
# 110
01-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Easy. Blacklight Retribution, War roses, Star Conflict :/