Empire Veteran
# 21
01-12-2014, 01:18 PM
There needs to be a mode where enemies can think. A mode where they react to stuff. An example being this.

Say you are in a "master mode" version of KASE. The first thing you fight is a tactical cube. A lot of players pack stuff like plasma burn dots this day in time. When that triggers, have the cube be able to sense it and apply something like hazard emitters to counter it.

The hardest mode should have enemies who can create ability combos and chain them like we can. And as I said above, have them react.

More damage and health doesn't make them harder. It makes them annoying.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Give donatra faw, dem, eptw, apa and apo and op npc stats. I hope someone brought a subnuke.

Last edited by jimqqi; 01-12-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Career Officer
# 23
01-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Recombine the ground and space elements. Force people to be good at both, or fail.
Captain
# 24
01-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmirror2012 View Post
Well ATM There are 3 difficulty levels in STO... What should happen is...

Normal Should stay the same...
Advanced Should become harder...
Elite Should Become Harder...
A new difficulty above elite should be added. Say Epic, and make ALL NPCs basicly "Smart" Give them healing, and TELL THEM to heal themselves and Ally's in a smart and efficient way.
Why Add another difficulty level when you can just refit the current ones? I would do the following...
- Normal would stay very much the same but with a small smattering of NPC skills
- Advanced introduces the player to NPCs with piloting skill, the NPCs would try almost passively to find a weakness in your defences with more abilities that would be more coordinated.
- Elite would involve ships with similar boff seatings to the player allowing them to make ability combos from skills potentially available to the player (As chosen by the devs of course) the AI would use these intelligently and actively try to find weaknesses or create weaknesses in your defences.

Every NPC ship would have a level comparable captain skill set, I'm thinking chosen at random upon spawning, given that every captain has different knowledge and most factions in the game have many copies of a ship and many captains... I've lost my train of thought... but you get the idea.

Quote:
Another way to increase difficulty is Distribute NPC DPS...

Currently, NPCs hit once every 30seconds, and hit for over 100k... They should distribute the damage, Instead of a beam doing 8000 Damage, it should do 1000 Damage and hit 8 times. Consistant DPS makes the game harder, because it requires sustained Thinking of healing, and people to crossheal, While Massive Spike either doesn't kill u at all, or instantly kills you.

Any spike NPCs should do should be channeled in a way that its defendable, or SubNukeable, for instance Beam Overload, or a 12second charge attack (Think Donatra)

That would be a good way to start on difficulty increase. because 1 of the roots of the difficulty problems is NPC damage. Difficulty isn't generated by being hit for 200k when u spawn (Yes im looking at you Hive)
I've been saying this for ages... certainly at endgame the NPCs should have boff layouts like players, and weapon layouts like players whereby most borg ships (above probes that would get 3/3) would get 2 weapons on each 'side' plus an omni directional torp, This would certainly make NPCs do more dps and maybe need an overall damage buff to compensate.

In increasing healing and resistances for NPCs I'd reduce their HP to try to maintain the "Time to kill" that the devs are so fond of Also NPCs would be just as susceptible to disables and other science effects as players are as this would bring science back into the game, if elite NPCs were made to fight intelligently exploiting downtime in buff cycles regardless of who's it is it would cultivate cross healing among players, especially if they see it done by NPCs.

The main difference between Normal, Intermediate and Elite would no longer be the time to kil or the damage output, rather the NPC AI.
Career Officer
# 25
01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
And now a chance to comment back to skollulfr.

First, I think from our previous debates on the subject, we agree to disagree on the antiquity of the trinity system.
However there is some validity to his statements.

First when we look at the source material I do not recall a single ship flying around just to fix another ship. So following canon the trinity system is broken as it is missing the third leg. By canon.

In STO you can build a healer and be decent. You can build a striker and be deadly. But the tank is underwhelming as they lack a fixed job.
A tank should have the ability to soak a good amount of enemy damage and keep the attention on himself. because big enemies should be able to one hit the healer and two hit the striker. So the job of the tank should be get the main's attention. The healer keeps him alive. The striker kills the big enemy.

For an elite STF this might be doable. If they make tanks tanky and able to hold aggro.
It would require coordination from a team of players to accomplish. As a group of strikers will get shot down so often as to be overly frustrating. A group of healers blasted before they do anything meaningful. And a group of tanks will live longer but still not damage the enemy seriously before they fail. So you need the mixed group to succeed.

So I think it could be done. If they adjust the system to allow it. As it is, it is a hybrid as skollulfr mentioned and one that favours dps over tactics. And possibly to be more casual friendly. I do not know.
Captain
# 26
01-13-2014, 09:11 PM
My only problem with tanking, is shields and resistances.

Shields with their utterly slow redistribution is awhul especially with a 6 turn rate.

And the increase in threat doesnt increase the resistances enough, you can be fully specced into threat with consoles on specificly for certain weapons types you dont get high enough resists.

Simply put EPS transerf should change how power works, being able to transfer shields faster, and double up on a facing while reducing the strength on other facings.

And resists while they should keep their diminishing returns stacking different consoles should negate that, not make it worse.

I dunno i lost my thought.
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Captain
# 27
01-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
There needs to be a mode where enemies can think. A mode where they react to stuff. An example being this.
There is a mode where enemies can think. A mode where enemies react to stuff. A mode where enemies have ships just like yours, not giant bags of hitpoints to be whailed on.

It's called PvP.
Captain
# 28
01-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
There is a mode where enemies can think. A mode where enemies react to stuff. A mode where enemies have ships just like yours, not giant bags of hitpoints to be whailed on.

It's called PvP.
I dunno iahve PvP'ed with some pretty big bags of Hitpoints oh and stacked resists.
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
01-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
hello trinity fanboy.
see, you are wrong, while almost any ship in this game can do damage, there is very much a negative effect from the trinity still afflicting this game. though this point isnt put under pressure so much in pve as it is in pvp, where the "tank" class has been utterly excluded as the useless pile of **** it is.
Learn to tank then
Republic Veteran
# 30
01-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superballer View Post
The stfs and all endgame content, is just way too easy...
Witnessed an IGN failure-PUG (no optional, died serveral times in the bossfight) yesterday. Therefore: no.