Ensign
# 21
01-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet6 View Post
Remember, a Gorn pounded the stuffing out of TOS Kirk, threw boulders and didn't even die when hit by Kirk's makeshift "hand-cannon".

NOTHING hits like a Gorn. Nothing.
Yup, Gorn are super strong and super tough in character. The Gorn that fought Kirk was pretty much a midget by Gorn standards and even he could lift and throw a 1-2 ton boulder pretty far and fast. Getting in there swinging a melee weapon is incredible. Heck, you can actually do amazingly well just using basic melee, let alone martial arts. Before now I've punched bosses down alone using basic melee wearing just regen armour with all my BoF's down.

Then there's ambush + crit traits/abilities/gear + lunge crits. Those are fun.

Just watch your attacks and don't try it in fps mode. The root on every melee attack can be a killer, you can't afford to waste swings.

Last edited by supersharks; 01-10-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Captain
# 22
01-12-2014, 01:46 PM
I would like to point the OP to the link behind the cat in my signature

If you like Gorn, Play them. If you like tactical, play them. If you want to fly all Gorn in a Gorn Ship, gorn for it. *rimshots*

Almost all the racial specific traits bear little on the overall gameplay, as they are quickly overshadowed by the other 8 traits you pick, your class, your speccing, your kits, your ship, and your bridge officers.

Any captain can command any class of ship they want (within their faction, of course). There are many different combinations that you can pull off, all with their own strengths and weaknesses and flavors of play. Choice whatever floats your boat. Do NOT feel obligated to "stick with yer class" in space play.

On the ground, however, Tactical officers have a slight edge when it comes to melee, as they have a specific kit (which grants you your ground based powers, and are restricted by class) that is build around melee and only melee. Again, not to say that OTHER classes cannot have fun with melee. My Trill Science officer is quite handy with a sword.

So.. all in all.. If you want to win at STO, remember kids:

~Just have fun!~
Career Officer
# 23
01-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Gorn get the unique ability to bite people's faces off. That alone makes them worth playing. Also, they get to walk around barefoot in a full Honor Guard uniform. And literally look down on every other species.

Forget about stats. Would you rather have a slight edge in battle, or just be awesome?

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 24
01-13-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't mind the gorny ones, but be aware you need a strong mind. All those. Gornjokes will get to you. As the Twisted Sisters song; 'We're not gorna take it!'
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.
Empire Veteran
# 25
01-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post
On the ground, however, Tactical officers have a slight edge when it comes to melee, as they have a specific kit (which grants you your ground based powers, and are restricted by class) that is build around melee and only melee. Again, not to say that OTHER classes cannot have fun with melee. My Trill Science officer is quite handy with a sword.
~Just have fun!~
Again, QFT. My Gorn Sci is (in STFs at least) focussed on melee, wading into close combat with his sword and teeth while using all those short-range AOE powers Scis can get. He discovered this bent in my first runthrough of Khitomer Accord on that toon (back in the day of 2-hour STFs) when, confronted with a mass of Borg and a non-functional gun, this calm scientist remembered he was also a seven-foot humanoid dinosaur and started swinging. Great fun.