Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
# 51
01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Quote:
It wasn't private. He had 2 friends, not 4, meaning they stiffed 2 puggers when they went afk.
One of us went AFK. I'm sure you just made an honest mistake there though and didn't try to play with your understanding of the details so clearly laid out.

Further, if they would allow it I could probably take the Mirror Universe event Solo, that's not the point.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 36
# 52
01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
Just ran Mirror universe with 2 friends of mine. We que up for this any chance we get as I'm running a fairly geared character this gives us a chance to run something quick, easy, and fun with a lot of explosions. One of those friends went AFK for a moment, came back, and was hit with a 2 hour AFK penalty. This is completely ridiculous. I could understand a 20 minute penalty but this was just silly.

I purchased my lifetime membership a few months ago because I intended to invest time in this game PLAYING WITH MY FRIENDS. This however limits that capability as if they have anything come up our time gets robbed not just by a reasonable penalty marker but by a 2 hour long delay.

I really wish there was a refund department at this phase, seriously considering just leaving the game all together. I'm guessing this carries no weight with cryptic as they already have my money but I will NEVER suggest to anyone they purchase anything in this game so long as such an outrageous and unfair penalty exists. After all, the penalty in other online games is far lower or well balanced.

I get having a penalty, but this is just ridiculous. It isn't that hard to code the penalty to be 20 minutes from the time they leave the map for an AFK penalty.

Sincerely Your's
Disgruntled Paying Player
I don't think you're going to get what you came here for. You want us to be incensed because your friend got a penalty that, by the letter of the rules, he deserved. The penalty is, in principal, designed to penalize people for doing exactly what your friend did. He went AFK, and doing so for any period of time is utterly unacceptable. If you have to go AFK for anything beyond one minute (which I consider to be enough time to get up and grab something across the room), you are breaking the rules. Does the penalty some times get applied unfairly? Yes. Is this one of those cases? No, I don't believe so.

Now, if I'm reading this right, you want a 20 minute penalty for AFKing instead of the current punitive one that we have. My only response to you is this: How selfish are you? You aren't just wasting your time, you're wasting the time of every person in that instance with you. You're making them do all the work for you, expecting to receive a reward like you would normally. As previously stated, the reason for such a harsh penalty is because it is designed as a deterrent and a punishment in one.

In conclusion, you won't be getting my incensed rage at how your friend received a justly deserved AFK penalty. And to be blunt, as a Lifetime Subscriber, I am utterly disgusted by you. You flaunt that you are a "paying customer" like it allows you to break the rules and not suffer the consequences. And using the fact that you bought Lifetime as an excuse as to why you deserve better treatment than others is the exact reason that people sometimes look down on those of us with Lifetime. So first of all, accept that you are in the wrong. Second of all, think about the impression you are giving off, and stop making every Lifetime and subscriber look bad.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,158
# 53
01-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newromulan1 View Post
Not 100% certain, but I believe fully private events are exempt - or should be. People create a 5 person infected space elite so that 1 guy can do it solo. That means the other 4 are just watching.
They are not. This annoyance applies to private events also, which is why you see the latest "Solo ISE" videos featuring the 4 leaving, rather than spectating, so that they only get banned for an hour rather than two.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
# 54
01-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Well Orax that was certainly heartfelt on your part. If you notice though as the discussion, for those parts that this has been a discussion, has progressed I've relented to some degree. I agree a penalty need be measured, but I still disagree with the severity of it. Further currently a leave penalty only impacts the current event if I am correct and not ALL grouping event content.

I'll admit 20 minutes is far to little, but 2hrs is far too much. It's a silly penalty and an over-reaction because of a system that should have been thought out better. Had the mechanics involved removed rewards for AFKing, or simply booted AFKers then such a post event punishment need not be implemented.

Further, as such was implemented by people yelling too loudly, surely a well presented and thought out analysis should be able to impact things further. Lastly your probably right in that I shouldn't have mentioned my paid status. My point was that I enjoy the game enough to support its development further. In retrospect I've logged over 800hrs worth in this, I've got my moneys worth in that respect. That said the mechanic still is overly impacting.

A number of options are available to correct this game mechanic.

Had it allowed us to continue on and run even Azure Nebula as a group I would not have been nearly as incensed by the mechanic. There is no valid, good, or viable reason for it to impact MY experience because a handful of AFKers were causing problems. This should have been weighed more carefully on Tribble before it ever made it live.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,268
# 55
01-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
There is no valid, good, or viable reason for it to impact MY experience because a handful of AFKers were causing problems.
I can tell you how to prevent such issues in the future, and it's incredibly easy: tell all your friends to be ready to play before queuing up. Make sure they understand that the way to not be penalized for going AFK is- wait for it- to not go AFK when your actions can impact others.

See, that's who caused you all this trauma- not Cryptic, but your AFKing friend. Dump your grief on her where it belongs, and realize your status as an LTS and "Disgruntled Paying Player" carry no weight and won't result in Cryptic adjusting things to suit you.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,360
# 56
01-16-2014, 07:12 AM
So the OP thinks he deserves special treatment because he has a paid membership, that the rules shouldn't apply to his buddy because he had a super-cereal good reason for being afk.

Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 40
# 57
01-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
Just ran Mirror universe with 2 friends of mine. We que up for this any chance we get as I'm running a fairly geared character this gives us a chance to run something quick, easy, and fun with a lot of explosions. One of those friends went AFK for a moment, came back, and was hit with a 2 hour AFK penalty. This is completely ridiculous. I could understand a 20 minute penalty but this was just silly.

I purchased my lifetime membership a few months ago because I intended to invest time in this game PLAYING WITH MY FRIENDS. This however limits that capability as if they have anything come up our time gets robbed not just by a reasonable penalty marker but by a 2 hour long delay.

I really wish there was a refund department at this phase, seriously considering just leaving the game all together. I'm guessing this carries no weight with cryptic as they already have my money but I will NEVER suggest to anyone they purchase anything in this game so long as such an outrageous and unfair penalty exists. After all, the penalty in other online games is far lower or well balanced.

I get having a penalty, but this is just ridiculous. It isn't that hard to code the penalty to be 20 minutes from the time they leave the map for an AFK penalty.

Sincerely Your's
Disgruntled Paying Player
Gotta say it sounds like your friend was gone longer than a moment. Right now for me it can be hard to say I have a dedicated block to do a mission. Just a week and a half ago I had to get up in the middle of Infected and didn't make it back till after it was over. Perhaps my infected elite simply lasted longer than your mirror. I still may have to get up randomly when playing with my friends. I won't explain my life here but I can say in that infected elite I didn't deserve my prize and really should have gotten a two hour penalty. I could have potentially left a team high and dry. To me it sounds like your friend went AFK longer than you say and got the penalty for it. Sorry, but I think it's a fair system and will gladly take any penalty that I may incur. Sometimes life doesn't give you an option about getting up, but the penalty has been in place for a little while now. This should have been expected
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,128
# 58
01-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
They are not. This annoyance applies to private events also, which is why you see the latest "Solo ISE" videos featuring the 4 leaving, rather than spectating, so that they only get banned for an hour rather than two.
Except there isn't a leaver penalty in private matches, so.. no that made no sense, thanks for the effort though.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
# 59
01-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Except there isn't a leaver penalty in private matches, so.. no that made no sense, thanks for the effort though.
Again, even the allowance to continue private ques for the 3 of us would have been sufficient. It seems the ban extends to all team up content on the que.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 846
# 60
01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Don't sweat it, OP. Plenty of ways to get around the AFK penalty. Don't let these wet blankets get you down; remember: these were the same guys that spammed whine threads constantly until the penalty was created. No worries, pm me in game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
damn rly hate pooping my pants before i can make it to the bathroom lmao
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.