Lt. Commander
# 1 possible memory leak?
01-15-2010, 06:54 PM
The game crashed back to the desktop 3 times in a row when I was trying to complete Hide and Seek in the lackey system

I get to the end and defend the console, I crash
Reload, I'm in sector space as a person, not my spaceship. Before I can do anything, I crash
Reload, I'm in sector space as a person, I revert to my ship, I beam down, the mission says complete.
I beam out, the mission still says I need to complete the away mission again, I beam down, run to the end.
Place is empty, I go to beam out, I crash

I am running Windows 7 x64 with 6gb of memory
I am using an Intel core i7 quad, hyper-threaded processor (8 virtual cores)
I have an ATI Radeon 4890 with the 64bit 9.11 drivers, I run the game at Max graphics at 1920x1200
I have the latest sound and network drivers
I run Norton 360, office 2007, Google toolbar, champions online and dragon age: origins
I do not overclock

The game can be counted on to crash one or more times during every play session.

Has anyone been able to identify something about my setup that may be causing the issue?

Thanks
Derek
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
I run Norton 360
Turn it off.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-15-2010, 07:10 PM
in my opinion it could be a ati problem but then again i heard the latest patch covered it so im at a lose sorry friend
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbenak View Post
The game crashed back to the desktop 3 times in a row when I was trying to complete Hide and Seek in the lackey system

I get to the end and defend the console, I crash
Reload, I'm in sector space as a person, not my spaceship. Before I can do anything, I crash
Reload, I'm in sector space as a person, I revert to my ship, I beam down, the mission says complete.
I beam out, the mission still says I need to complete the away mission again, I beam down, run to the end.
Place is empty, I go to beam out, I crash

I am running Windows 7 x64 with 6gb of memory
I am using an Intel core i7 quad, hyper-threaded processor (8 virtual cores)
I have an ATI Radeon 4890 with the 64bit 9.11 drivers, I run the game at Max graphics at 1920x1200
I have the latest sound and network drivers
I run Norton 360, office 2007, Google toolbar, champions online and dragon age: origins
I do not overclock

The game can be counted on to crash one or more times during every play session.

Has anyone been able to identify something about my setup that may be causing the issue?

Thanks
Derek
I have virtually the same spec when the game finaly finishes downloading ill let you know if i have the same problem m8.Turning off norton while playing wouldnt be a bad idea though .
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I run a Q6600 system with 3+gigs of ram (have 4 but run 32bit XP with sp3 all up to date).
I have 2 8600GTS with 256mb of video ram running in SLI mode.

I run at 1920x1080 (was running at 1920x1200) with many settings turned down it looks like ****, but it doesn't crash. When I turn on AA and increase lighting a little, I can load a handful of areas, like 5-6 space areas, or a couple space areas and 1 ground area before the game crashes. When the game crashes, an error message pops up saying 'out of memory'. This happened with SLI turned off too (with my settings lowered a bit). I am interested in getting a new graphics card with higher memory, BUT I shouldn't be forced to get one just to play this game.

I play many other games and never had a problem with 'out of memory' errors before.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-16-2010, 03:36 PM
two words.....Open Beta.

you should of seen the crashes from the first hour. dont stress....its still a work in progress and thats called a bug. Or your computer doesnt meet the minimum needs to run the game.

Your vid card looks a bit outdated.....so im thinking your vid card cant handle it. Your computer will automatically shut off any application that would/could cause any damage to your system.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Do you have the error IDs from any of the crashes? I can use those to look up what the problem was.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
my card meets the minimum requirements for memory size. And that should not cause the game to crash with a memory error. Low video memory would just mean more swapping of textures/objects from RAM, VM, and the harddrive into the graphic card.

I know it's Open Beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Do you have the error IDs from any of the crashes? I can use those to look up what the problem was.
I will get them when it happens again.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vf1sveritech View Post
my card meets the minimum requirements for memory size. And that should not cause the game to crash with a memory error. Low video memory would just mean more swapping of textures/objects from RAM, VM, and the harddrive into the graphic card.

I know it's Open Beta.

I will get them when it happens again.
this would make sense with all the stuttering if a mem leak was happening.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-16-2010, 04:52 PM
How did it work out if you turned norton off?