Captain
# 351
01-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Ironically... Those 3 things are things I could'n care less about, if got changed.
having only one race to rule them all (romulans ) is very important.Having pvp (which is true end game content ) is very important.Also I signed the TOS for Star Trek Online not Legacy of Romulus.
Career Officer
# 352
01-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Now you're just playing musical chairs. Here's to hoping the game doesn't suck as bad as it did the last time he ran the show.
Ensign
# 353 new directions for game?
01-16-2014, 11:52 AM
This games biggest strength is that it offers both space simulation/arcade combat, as well as the mmo style third person play. This game could use an added third element of strategy beyond doff assignments with the incorporation of rts or tbs play to broaden market appeal and keep it alive for longer.
Republic Veteran
# 354
01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemoffsky View Post
This games biggest strength is that it offers both space simulation/arcade combat, as well as the mmo style third person play. This game could use an added third element of strategy beyond doff assignments with the incorporation of rts or tbs play to broaden market appeal and keep it alive for longer.
Sector conquest ala Starfleet command. But that would mean hostility, and we can't have that.

---
Ensign
# 355
01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainedna View Post
having only one race to rule them all (romulans ) is very important.Having pvp (which is true end game content ) is very important.Also I signed the TOS for Star Trek Online not Legacy of Romulus.
I believe Anazonda's point was that those are things that are important to YOU. Other people (such as myself or Anazonda, apparently) might choose three completely different aspects of the game they would be interested in seeing changed. Your statement that "no one cares" about the changing of the guard unless your three specific concerns are addressed is inaccurate. Some people want the Scimitar because they have a Reman character to put in it. I am sure others want it for role playing purposes. Or because it looked nice in the movie. I suspect you want it removed because of PvP concerns. That doesn't come in ahead of all the other reasons people had for buying the ship.

While I am completely unconcerned about what my screen shows while it is loading the game, I am hoping that major changes to the game are not introduced in stealth mode anymore and that loss of inventory in the mail system doesn't occur again under this new regime.
Career Officer
# 356
01-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castsbugc View Post
Thats not entirely true, for example, if you look at what launched in game, and then look at say, Bajor, or DS9 after the revamp, you will notice a marked difference in the look of the entire environment. That said, yes you will eventually reach a hard limit where you cannot improve the visual quality because the current infrastructure wont allow for it. Without an environment or ship artist to comment, I will state I dont know that we have reached that yet.
I think really any changes to graphics have to be modest because of system requirements. An MMO with cutting edge graphics is probably bad at being an MMO. WoW has slowly upgraded graphics with things like water effects, anti-aliasing, and the upcoming replacement of character models.

Where there's more room to grow is in a solid sense of art DIRECTION rather than raw technical improvements. That has improved somewhat with STO. I think TacoFangs' maps go a long way towards being IP appropriate. Getting away from solid blue LCARs has made the game feel more vibrant.

Style doesn't date in the same way that technical advancement dates.

Take Mario games. The technical aspect dated fast but people still love games like Mario World or Mario Cart 64 or even the 8 bit games because they have style that overcomes technical proficiency.

I'd rather see texture clean-ups in the vein of the LCARS overhaul than see sophisticated new lighting systems and higher polycounts on everything. Clean-ups benefit everyone regardless of system specs whereas a new graphics engine isn't going to do jack for people playing on a 5 year old laptop except maybe make them stop playing.

I'd like to see all the gunmetal grey walls and floors in Federation facilities updated in cream/brown/white walls with more elegant paneling and carpeted floors than see fancy new lighting effects. I'd rather see character slider control improved and facial diversity worked on than see higher poly count character models.

There is a lot that can be done stylistically with new types of skyfiles, mattes, sham sets, and polish before I think we'd ever need more poly rich environments.
Ensign
# 357
01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallrouge View Post
I believe Anazonda's point was that those are things that are important to YOU. Other people (such as myself or Anazonda, apparently) might choose three completely different aspects of the game they would be interested in seeing changed. Your statement that "no one cares" about the changing of the guard unless your three specific concerns are addressed is inaccurate. Some people want the Scimitar because they have a Reman character to put in it. I am sure others want it for role playing purposes. Or because it looked nice in the movie. I suspect you want it removed because of PvP concerns. That doesn't come in ahead of all the other reasons people had for buying the ship.

While I am completely unconcerned about what my screen shows while it is loading the game, I am hoping that major changes to the game are not introduced in stealth mode anymore and that loss of inventory in the mail system doesn't occur again under this new regime.
it was not 3 aspects ...It was more or less the same espect ,end game content which in all games is pvp or trading (in star trek trading should be on the same level with pvp as end game content)
Cryptic Studios Team
# 358
01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Greetings All!

Many thanks to the many posters wishing me welcome to the job. As noted in the blog, I'm a huge Star Trek geek, and I absolutely love working with the team. It's a fabulous place to be!

Let me see if I can answer a few of the big questions posed on this thread...

First, Star Trek Online is no on its way into "maintenance mode". In fact, the team is larger than ever and STO is healthier than ever before. Cryptic is dedicated to not only supporting the game but growing it.

Second, this position isn't a temporary one for me. I'm not sure how long my tenure will be, but I expect to be here for at least three or four updates.

Third, there are lots of requests for more communication. I'll do me best to communicate regularly both directly and through the team. I can say that I'm not a forum person, and that I will probably communicate more via Dev Blogs than in the forums, but I'll post every now and then.

Fourth, there are lots of requests for what's coming next. I'm going to purposefully avoid talking too much about futures. Why? Because so much changes in the dev team on a regular basis that anything posted that discusses something more than two months out is subject to change. I will share as much as I can along the way, but you may get more hints than concrete information the further something is into the future.

Fifth, there are questions about strategy. My overall strategy comes in several parts:

1) Continue to fix things in the existing game. I believe in working to fix old bugs, clean up existing content, and otherwise look for ways to make existing play better. The revamped episodes coming in Season 8.5, along with the new starship switching features are examples of this kind of investment.

2) Continue to develop the story and new content. Most of the dev resources go into this effort. We know that you all show up for your fix of new Star Trek content, and that is the center of everything we do.

3) To work to stretch the game in new ways. I'll be working with the team to do new things and to change up the game to keep it fresh. A static and unchanging game gets stale. Change is part of growth, and I want to see STO grow. Change is scary for some people, however, and I'll work to keep you informed about scary changes well before they get live. I highly value the input of the community and want to make sure that we do what is best for the game as a whole.

At the moment, we're 100% focused on delivering an excellent 8.5 update and 4th anniversary celebration two weeks from today, and I'm off to work.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Captain
# 359
01-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the reply

It's nice to see communication from the EP even if it's occasional and simple, you're in the (possibly) unfortunate position that Dan set a precedent for this in the early days that he didn't live up to second time around, but hey. To each their own.

I look forward as ever to seeing what comes next.
Career Officer
# 360
01-16-2014, 03:12 PM
be welcome . and plz(!!!) get ur hands on pvp, crafting and exploration

Klink: House of Beautiful - J'Luc/Rom: Lag Industries - D'Waste/Fed-Sci: Lag Industries - IAM
Join Date Hoster: Dec 2011 - Join Date Symbiont: 1403 A.D. and not a dull moment
PvP improvements, coming since 2010 lol