Commander
# 21
01-17-2014, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirisee View Post
This is an mmo.....its not your weekly canon Star Trek Series.....really you canon purists need to get over it all.....its a damn game....go killl **** , have fun.....why do you NEED a reason to kill stuff????? just do it lol

Problem is: There are tons of games out there that do exactly this as good or better than STO. The thing that is unqiue to STO is its IP. Not even trying to appreciate the lore would be throwing away that unique advantage. I'm NOT saying cross-faction PvP mustn't be done, but the Devs should at least TRY to come up with -some- in-universe background story.

Even the Winter event with all its nonesense like gingerbread men is explained SOMEHOW... granted, Q is a bit cheap, but at least its some sort of in-universe explanation that kind of fits the canon and there adds LEGITIMACY. Why you think canon-voice actors are hired for all that money? Because it adds popularity & LEGITIMACY to a Star Trek game.
STOWiki admin.

Last edited by kagasensei; 01-17-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Captain
# 22
01-17-2014, 04:16 AM
I could only play 2 games in the first event, and the biggest issue that I saw was the universal consoles that could simple one shot an entire time in the hands of a tactical player. Isometric Charge was one of them, also the Tier 5 Nukara rep power, at least is what I think it was, because I was 100% life and next second I was obliterated.

I used the Aeon (btw, the deflector power does little to nothing) with a sci player.

Sorry for bad english.

Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Commander
# 23
01-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerritourug View Post
I could only play 2 games in the first event, and the biggest issue that I saw was the universal consoles that could simple one shot an entire time in the hands of a tactical player. Isometric Charge was one of them, also the Tier 5 Nukara rep power, at least is what I think it was, because I was 100% life and next second I was obliterated.

I used the Aeon (btw, the deflector power does little to nothing) with a sci player.

Sorry for bad english.

I witnessed a single player not just tying up but destrying one by one at least four enemy shuttles. And this was NOT associated to the Point-Defense-console. This clearly shows the huge amount balancing and exploit-issues that have accumulated over the years of virtual PvP-neglect.

There are already two very comprehensive and useful lists for Cryptic to work through ony by one
STOWiki admin.
Republic Veteran
# 24
01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagasensei View Post
That's certainly worth a thought or two! I hate that Cryptic has yet to provide any kind of in-universe explanation for mixed FED-KDF-ROM groups battling each other to the death. As I said before, story/canon/logic should not be sacrificed that easily to playability. At least TRY to come up with -some- background story.
Romulan Republic has invited Starfleet and the KDF to participate in shuttle wargames simulations with them.

See, its easy to come up with your own head canon, its not needed for Cryptic to hold your hand every step of the way.

I couldn't make it to the event yesterday, and whenever I have tried to queue on tribble no one has been on, but there was some talk about Fleet Support, and if it might be OP for shuttle combat. I'd like to offer if it is decided it is, that they could take a page out of the Photonic Fleet book and have shuttles only summon other shuttles.

Last edited by reximuz; 01-17-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Personally, after three years of testing I have never once been able to do a pvp or a pve on Tribble due to the fact that ques are always at zero. I see no difference with the new shuttle pvp.

As for cross faction queing, until STO ends this farce of a Fed Klingon war, and puts an end to the unofficial Romulan Republic Civil War then cross faction queing will never make sense. Simple as that. Sorry guys, but teaming up with your enemies to fight your own faction makes no sense whatsoever. Except maybe for traitors (andf before the screaming starts, the traitor part was a joke)
Career Officer
# 26
01-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Tribble Timewarp on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93cnyzHkfz4

TL,DW:

- Mechanics seem sound as far as queuing and cross-faction go.

- Fleet Support might be in need of a tweak to stop it lingering, especially if this is going to be extended to capture and hold gameplay or maps with chokepoints. Maybe warp out after 15-30 seconds with no combat?

- Needs a 'sort yourself out' period at the start similar to The Breach, especially since we'll often be switching into a shuttle and need to sort UI. 60 seconds enough?

- Cryptic need to resist the temptation to up future shuttles' power level or else this will wind up just as broken as starship pvp.

- Overall, me likey.
Blatant self-promotion: Clingin' on, the Tribble Timewarp and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Yuzral
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I honestly think it will be even more fun if other 'social' ships like Tuffli's, Suliban's etc are able to get into this small craft arena.

What do u guys think?
Read the book of the Rihannsu.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 28
01-27-2014, 01:11 PM
I wanted to allow Freighters on the map as well, since I think they're probably pretty well balanced vs. shuttles, but unfortunately it wasn't possible to do that within the timeframe we had. Maybe doing a "Freighters vs. Shuttles" map at some point would be fun. Of course, then the Cell Ship's cloaking device will actually be useful...
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Captain
# 29
01-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
I wanted to allow Freighters on the map as well, since I think they're probably pretty well balanced vs. shuttles, but unfortunately it wasn't possible to do that within the timeframe we had. Maybe doing a "Freighters vs. Shuttles" map at some point would be fun. Of course, then the Cell Ship's cloaking device will actually be useful...
Have you guys considered an asymmetric gametype, perhaps 5 fighters vs 1 starship or equivalent multiples thereof?

Also, are we ever likely to see playlist hoppers? So rather than queuing for a particular map we join a generic PvP queue and get assigned to (or vote from) a random selection of parameters?