Empire Veteran
# 1 Combat supply changes
01-12-2014, 03:28 PM
So, did some testing on this, and honestly, I REALLY like it.

It spits out about 10 buffs roughly (was using combat supply 3 btw) over the course of it being out. But it isn't perfect. Namely...

1. It spits the buffs out really far.
2. The buffs tend to get stuck on every single little nook and cranny that might be around. This can sometimes lead to them being on spots that only Caitains/Ferasans can reach, IF even they can reach them at all. This also includes places that have hazards and the like.
3. The Quartermaster DOFF that reduces the CD on combat supply seems to be making (using a purple btw) the ability hit a 'global CD'.

That's the three big things I noticed so far. I'm not sure if the buffs can be picked up by NPCs (allied or enemy) or by players on opposing team in PvP. Would be nice to know for clarification.

Captain
# 2
01-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Thank you very much for posting this, I've been asking all over for info on it.
Empire Veteran
# 3
01-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killdozer9211 View Post
Thank you very much for posting this, I've been asking all over for info on it.
Glad to help.

I'm annoyed at how far the buffs tend to fly. In a large, open area, like the Voth ground area, it isn't an issue at all. They fly out, you pick em up, move on.

But even a moderately tight space? Good luck with trying to get them. They are gonna be stuck everywhere and basically wasted.

I will say, when I was testing them, it was VERY fun to be running around with like 600 shields and almost 900 health on the ground, plus the other buffs it provides.

Empire Veteran
# 4
01-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Ok, a new day, and more tests:

In the PvE stuff I tried, it feels like no NPCs can pick them up. Probably for the best. I don't believe BOFFs can either.

In PvP though, any player, including those on the other team can pick them up. I have a feeling people will get frustrated by that really quickly. Your team obviously thats' fine, but I feel that we would soon see a slew of 'buff stealers'.

The buffs DO stack with other buffs that engineers can give themselves and others.

Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
01-17-2014, 06:32 PM
I've tuned the "spew" distance, the duration, and the magnitude of the buffs in a future patch. I think the Battlezone buff levels were a little nuts and were meant to compensate for the toughness of the Voth - that level of power shouldn't be available in every map. The new values are 20% Shield HP, 10% Hitpoints, 10% Damage, 20% RunSpeed+Dodge, and 20 Resistance (All). The new duration of the buffs is 60 seconds, which is still pretty reasonable.

We talked about changing the pickup behavior so that only teammates can pick up the buffs, but I actually think the ability is more interesting this way. You can use the Combat Supply as a decoy in a match, if you care to set it up right - luring in opponents for powerups while your team lies in wait or your nest of deployables sits around a corner.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Captain
# 6
01-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
I've tuned the "spew" distance, the duration, and the magnitude of the buffs in a future patch. I think the Battlezone buff levels were a little nuts and were meant to compensate for the toughness of the Voth - that level of power shouldn't be available in every map. The new values are 20% Shield HP, 10% Hitpoints, 10% Damage, 20% RunSpeed+Dodge, and 20 Resistance (All). The new duration of the buffs is 60 seconds, which is still pretty reasonable.

We talked about changing the pickup behavior so that only teammates can pick up the buffs, but I actually think the ability is more interesting this way. You can use the Combat Supply as a decoy in a match, if you care to set it up right - luring in opponents for powerups while your team lies in wait or your nest of deployables sits around a corner.
Thanks for the update Hawk, this should be a great new mechanic. Just one concern, are there any planned preventive measures to curb potential kit switching abuse? Example: A player uses combat supply, next they pick up the supply buffs, and finally they swap out to another kit with the supply buffs still active. Thanks again for all of the fine work you've put into this update.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 7
01-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
Thanks for the update Hawk, this should be a great new mechanic. Just one concern, are there any planned preventive measures to curb potential kit switching abuse? Example: A player uses combat supply, next they pick up the supply buffs, and finally they swap out to another kit with the supply buffs still active. Thanks again for all of the fine work you've put into this update.
We will fix kit-swapping soon, but not as soon as Combat Supply changes happen. But when I say fix, I mean it will be very very gone.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Captain
# 8
01-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Quote:
We will fix kit-swapping soon, but not as soon as Combat Supply changes happen. But when I say fix, I mean it will be very very gone.
Great, thanks for the news .
Empire Veteran
# 9
01-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Quote:

Good work Hawk, I'm glad my testing was able to help.

Few things to mention:

1. The Quartermaster DOFF that affects the CD of Combat supply is making me hit a 'global CD' on the ability. Note that I am using a very rare version of the DOFF (specifically William Shakespeare). I feel one of those things needs to be adjusted, the DOFF, or the CD itself. Because if that goes to holodeck, it'd be pretty silly to use a DOFF slot on a DOFF that it just gonna make it hit a global CD anyways.

2. Gonna be honest, I feel like that might be a tad much on reducing them. I mean, don't misunderstand, they are a bit insane with the amount of 'death' I can cause with them atm. But I still feel they should be useful. *shrug* Maybe it's just me.

3. I understand wanting, in PvP, to let others be able to pick em up. But something I thought of was more larger PvE content, like Big Dig. That has multiple teams running around, and I was worried about greedy players just taking all your buffs.

4. Question: Am I right in thinking, at least for right now, there are two levels of buffs that can drop? Normal ones, and rarer, more powerful ones?

5. A request. If you are gonna tune down the strength of the buffs, maybe in return, more can pop out? So that way more of your teammates can get some usage out of them.

That's all I have for now, hope you reply, Hawk. Been glad to help out with this and continue to help out with more kit changes as time goes on.

PS:

Quote:
AWESOME

Captain
# 10
01-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Good work Hawk, I'm glad my testing was able to help.

Few things to mention:

1. The Quartermaster DOFF that affects the CD of Combat supply is making me hit a 'global CD' on the ability. Note that I am using a very rare version of the DOFF (specifically William Shakespeare). I feel one of those things needs to be adjusted, the DOFF, or the CD itself. Because if that goes to holodeck, it'd be pretty silly to use a DOFF slot on a DOFF that it just gonna make it hit a global CD anyways.
Players use grenade duty officers to lower the cooldown on grenades, yet grenades have a shared category cooldown. Personally, I don't see a problem with the Quartermaster, it drops Combat Supply to it's minimum cooldown.

To be honest, I personally think all kit abilities need to have minimal cooldowns. Exothermic Induction Field and Hyperonic Radiation have no minimal cooldown, which allows players to spam them with duty officers + Tactical Initiative every 3 seconds. That kit would be much more balanced if both of those abilities had a minimum 15 second cooldown (not a shared category cooldown). The medic kit already has minimum cooldowns on all heals, it makes sense to apply it to other areas. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that may be part of Cryptic's plan to resolve kit switching. Time will tell.

Quote:
2. Gonna be honest, I feel like that might be a tad much on reducing them. I mean, don't misunderstand, they are a bit insane with the amount of 'death' I can cause with them atm. But I still feel they should be useful. *shrug* Maybe it's just me.
+10% All Damage for 60 seconds will be very powerful. +10% Max Health and +20% Max Shields will greatly enhance survivability, +20% Dodge and Runspeed actually sounds a bit overpowered, and +20 All Damage Resistance Rating sounds a bit weak...maybe +20 bonus Damage Resistance Rating instead? It would be a nice hard counter to environmental damage though, albeit weakish resists.

Quote:
3. I understand wanting, in PvP, to let others be able to pick em up. But something I thought of was more larger PvE content, like Big Dig. That has multiple teams running around, and I was worried about greedy players just taking all your buffs.
Just an idea here, perhaps limiting a player to one combat supply buff at a given time. That would prevent super buffing with combat supply and it would make it impossible for players to become greedy.