Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
I'm all for forming groups having parties of large numbers and just all around community progression, but Fleets OP status has got to be addressed!

I understand it takes a lot to get a T5 Station that your fleet can call home and that there should be rewards for accomplishing such a feet but to allow players of large and active fleets so much power over the casual or less player is ridicules.

I participate in fleets myself. I belong to one very small fleet and one fairly active fleet. The active fleet is moving along with projects the only thing holding them up is the Dilithium requirements. The very small fleet is lucky to have a T1 anything.

The advantages given with the Fleet system just don?t seem fair in the least. I can have an extra Doff slot over others, better BOffs and Kits and the only place to get ultra rare gear in game. I know there was lot of talk about Fleet sizes playing a part on projects yet I have not seen anything in effect and even still that doesn?t address the soloist.

How does a player compete with advanced Fleet players? I used to think that Fleets were around to make organizing Fleet Actions and STFs easier but am realizing they are only there for the elitists to score the best gear so they can keep their foot on the little guys necks with ease.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 674
# 2
01-18-2014, 05:09 PM
The fleet system is a choice, you can either choose to invest the time and resources into building up a fleet or not. You can either choose to belong to an active fleet that can build up fleet holdings or not. Your choices have consequences, if you don't want to put the time and effort into building up a fleet then you should not have access to the best gear. Its not different than if you don't put the time and effort into the rep systems you won't have access to the best gear and abilities.

Someone who does not want to work to obtain the best gear should be at a disadvantage over those that have done so, the fleet system is working just the way it should.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 754
# 3
01-18-2014, 05:11 PM
The problem is not that large fleets are OP, it's that members of small fleets have to work and grind harder. Also, there are fleets advertising on the forums for free access to all the best gear. Your complaint is invalid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
So yes... you could get everything here for free.
Just like you can get a free steak dinner by collecting dropped pennies in the parking lot.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 656
# 4
01-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Maybe rep gear should get a buff to fleet level? STO is pretty much an one player game from level 1-49 if you want to. When you hit level 50 you need team up if you want the "best" shinnies.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
# 5
01-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john98837 View Post
The fleet system is a choice, you can either choose to invest the time and resources into building up a fleet or not. You can either choose to belong to an active fleet that can build up fleet holdings or not. Your choices have consequences, if you don't want to put the time and effort into building up a fleet then you should not have access to the best gear. Its not different than if you don't put the time and effort into the rep systems you won't have access to the best gear and abilities.

Someone who does not want to work to obtain the best gear should be at a disadvantage over those that have done so, the fleet system is working just the way it should.
Wrong! Yes you have a choice to join and build a fleet but the consequences of not joining or participating with a fleet should never result in NEVER being able to compete against a fleeted player, EVER!

You are talking about giving a player MASSIVE amounts of Buffs over others who do not have access to the same things, who may even put in more time and effort to accomplish such a thing. A fleet of 500 players do not need to work as hard as a fleet of 5 to accomplish the same tasks.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 754
# 6
01-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetyler51 View Post
Maybe rep gear should get a buff to fleet level? STO is pretty much an one player game from level 1-49 if you want to. When you hit level 50 you need team up if you want the "best" shinnies.
Most Rep gear is superior to Fleet gear. Rep weapons are certainly superior. The only Fleet gear that's superior to Rep gear are the Elite Fleet shields. That's about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
So yes... you could get everything here for free.
Just like you can get a free steak dinner by collecting dropped pennies in the parking lot.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10,035
# 7
01-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Honestly... the only real advantage I see with Elite Fleet weapons is the apearance of the ground weapons. I haven't really seen the special mods proc as far as I know. Heck... I decided to go with ADVANCED Phaser Arrays for my Vesta instead of the Elite.
Besides... Rep gear can work just as well. *shrug* I'm STILL working off the Jem'Hadar set on my Romulan's ship. May not be Fleet gear or Rep, but it seems to work for now.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/144/0/2/sto_sig_character_by_rattler20200-d7jlk1h.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose
And then I sneezed. And then I exploded.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 754
# 8
01-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragamites View Post
Wrong! Yes you have a choice to join and build a fleet but the consequences of not joining or participating with a fleet should never result in NEVER being able to compete against a fleeted player, EVER!

You are talking about giving a player MASSIVE amounts of Buffs over others who do not have access to the same things, who may even put in more time and effort to accomplish such a thing. A fleet of 500 players do not need to work as hard as a fleet of 5 to accomplish the same tasks.
You're acting pretty hostile towards people trying to give you a reasonable response. I think we'd better assume you're just pushing a personal agenda here (crying that you should get all the best gear without having to work for it) and this has very little to do with any objective ideas of fairness on your part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
So yes... you could get everything here for free.
Just like you can get a free steak dinner by collecting dropped pennies in the parking lot.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 464
# 9
01-18-2014, 07:58 PM
You know I work a lot! Even if I play a hour a day you have grinders getting maco gear way before me. They work hard I agree! But it's unfair to others that can't get the gear as fast as others. I want maco gear! But it takes me way longer than active players.


Sound about the same don't you think
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,293
# 10
01-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Fleets are OP. The best items are found in the fleet. Some rep items are good, but not enough to beat what a fleet will offer. And they recently added new tac console that are even more OP than what we were used to.
So yes, fleet are not necessary, just like it's not necessary to have items in all your ship slots, and it's not necessary to have BOFF in your stations. Nothing is necessary in a videogame. Even playing it is not necessary.

I don't mind having some bonuses for fleets. But I think people should join a fleet because they want to play with other people, not because they want to have the best gear, or a new ship.

As for the question itself, it's going to stay, and it will not get better any time soon. A cryptic dev (can't remember which one) stated in an interview a few weeks after LoR was released, that they purposely made fleet items/bonuses more powerful than everything else. He also said they did that because fleet members stay longer and spend more on STO.

Simple as that. They like fleet members because they generate more money for PWE.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 PM.