Lt. Commander
# 41
01-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh and, anybody running under Wine/OSX, there's an options button in the upper left of the loading app, just next to the Cryptic logo. Go into the options menu and uncheck Fullscreen.

Wine/OSX uses X11 to draw the game's window (same as Linux), but the version of X11 that ships with OSX doesn't support switching resolutions. So, most games that run fullscreen don't work with Wine/OSX.

The paid-for version from CodeWeavers, I have CrossOver Games for Mac, bundels it's own version of X11 that fixes this (and probably other) issues. But CodeWeavers only releases new versions about every six months, while http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ offers most of the same features but is updated almost as soon as a new version of Wine comes out.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metiphis View Post
Actually she was 19 but a little pixie-ish, and it was a party where we were both drunk.
Ha...I was wondering what that was for a few days now, my first guess was some sort of an animal...
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I have tried both the highest version of Nvidia drivers available to me via the Karmic repositories (185 something, IIRC), as well as the latest 190 and 195 release and beta drivers, respectively. All drivers have been 64 bit, and I have installed 32 bit opengl libraries with each install. Currently running 195, getting slightly different error messages, but all still end with some memory funny business.

Point of interest: at the beginning of program execution, I get the error
Quote:
#2010-01-15 22:05:54 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! (c:\src\libs\utilitieslib\utils\errornet.c:375) failed to allocate -572662307 bytes
On program exit, I see
Quote:
#err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 964 bytes in thread 0032 eip 7bc7fd00 esp 00240f6c stack 0x240000-0x241000-0x340000
I may be misreading this, but it seems to me like either wine is assigning or STO is requesting a stupidly large part of memory (negative 546 gigabytes) of memory, and later access some OOB memory, possibly some that it thinks it previously allocated. Maybe someone got sloppy with their pointers, or wine just isn't capping me at a 32 bit system's memory limit.

I believe that others have posted the same issue with 32 bit clients, so I doubt this is a "we have a higher addressable memory limit than you" issue, and more likely an issue with some sort of wine interpretation of malloc.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert82 View Post
Oh and, anybody running under Wine/OSX, there's an options button in the upper left of the loading app, just next to the Cryptic logo. Go into the options menu and uncheck Fullscreen.

Wine/OSX uses X11 to draw the game's window (same as Linux), but the version of X11 that ships with OSX doesn't support switching resolutions. So, most games that run fullscreen don't work with Wine/OSX.

The paid-for version from CodeWeavers, I have CrossOver Games for Mac, bundels it's own version of X11 that fixes this (and probably other) issues. But CodeWeavers only releases new versions about every six months, while http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ offers most of the same features but is updated almost as soon as a new version of Wine comes out.
Xquartz... X11 on OSX supports fullscreen mode, but yes it doesn't have resolution switching. If you want to play it in fullscreen good, you'll want to run in fullscreen mode with the game set to your screens resolution. also enable a Virtual Desktop, and kill the quartz-wm process (so the virtual desktop doesn't have a window bar). Fullscreen mode is MUCH more stable with Wine if a virtual desktop is enabled.

Or you can use Wineskin and the fullscreen and resolution switching options I entered in.... but I dont have any Wine versions available for it that will run this yet.

When I finally get a Mac version running with Wineskin, I'll just release the .app for others... anyone on a Mac will be able to just download my STO.app and double click and run it... no need to worry about Wine and X11 and stuff.

If I have ot majroly look into Wine source code though ... I doubt it'll be anytime soon.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobox
I have tried both the highest version of Nvidia drivers available to me via the Karmic repositories (185 something, IIRC), as well as the latest 190 and 195 release and beta drivers, respectively. All drivers have been 64 bit, and I have installed 32 bit opengl libraries with each install. Currently running 195, getting slightly different error messages, but all still end with some memory funny business.

Point of interest: at the beginning of program execution, I get the error

On program exit, I see

I may be misreading this, but it seems to me like either wine is assigning or STO is requesting a stupidly large part of memory (negative 546 gigabytes) of memory, and later access some OOB memory, possibly some that it thinks it previously allocated. Maybe someone got sloppy with their pointers, or wine just isn't capping me at a 32 bit system's memory limit.

I believe that others have posted the same issue with 32 bit clients, so I doubt this is a "we have a higher addressable memory limit than you" issue, and more likely an issue with some sort of wine interpretation of malloc.
Our allocation/tracking system is tuned pretty carefully to the underlying CRT debug heap, so it wouldn't surprise me if it breaks on a different malloc. I'll ask around if there is any way to just make it use the underlying allocator more directly, though it may make the game unfortunately slow.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Mobox, where are you getting these errors from? Are they WINE errors, or console output from the STO client?

I'm asking because that first one seems like it's from the game client, but I've never seen anything like it on my end.

The second one looks like a wine error, and while I don't recognise it, I may have gotten it. I haven't closely examined the seh debug channel yet.

Oh, and I do believe you mean megabytes, not gigabytes. Or technically, mibibytes.

1 gibibyte = 2^30 bytes = 1,024 mebibytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes
1 mebibyte = 2^20 bytes = 1,024 kibibytes = 1,048,576 bytes

On a related note, I've tested the winehacks git tree (git://repo.or.cz/wine/hacks.git), and I get exactly the same error (infinite loop while walking heap) on loading.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Our allocation/tracking system is tuned pretty carefully to the underlying CRT debug heap, so it wouldn't surprise me if it breaks on a different malloc. I'll ask around if there is any way to just make it use the underlying allocator more directly, though it may make the game unfortunately slow.
Is my understanding correct that the engine used in STO is somewhat old?

If so, would memory allocation speeds really be a worry?
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someenigma View Post
Mobox, where are you getting these errors from? Are they WINE errors, or console output from the STO client?

I'm asking because that first one seems like it's from the game client, but I've never seen anything like it on my end.

The second one looks like a wine error, and while I don't recognise it, I may have gotten it. I haven't closely examined the seh debug channel yet.

Oh, and I do believe you mean megabytes, not gigabytes. Or technically, mibibytes.

1 gibibyte = 2^30 bytes = 1,024 mebibytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes
1 mebibyte = 2^20 bytes = 1,024 kibibytes = 1,048,576 bytes

On a related note, I've tested the winehacks git tree (git://repo.or.cz/wine/hacks.git), and I get exactly the same error (infinite loop while walking heap) on loading.
You are correct in your units of measure, I was quickly reading from terminal and didn't think units

I believe that the first error is from the game, while the second error is from wine. Sorry, I don't think I was really specific earlier.

@coderanger, it is really nice to see a dev actually talking about client issues. If you're really going to ask around, that would be so awesome. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I comes around and talks to the devs as the community's voice.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I appreciate that the community is workin on this. love ubuntu, and can get most games workin through wine, but this one is throwin me for a loop. Got to where the updater just sits there when it should be updating.

I even went so far as to resize and repartition my hard drive and try to install windows on my computer, but the drivers for my graphics card won't even install properly. >.<

so yeah, does the updated client work any better, or is there a wine source patch (never heard of winehacks)?
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixonal View Post
I appreciate that the community is workin on this. love ubuntu, and can get most games workin through wine, but this one is throwin me for a loop. Got to where the updater just sits there when it should be updating.

I even went so far as to resize and repartition my hard drive and try to install windows on my computer, but the drivers for my graphics card won't even install properly. >.<

so yeah, does the updated client work any better, or is there a wine source patch (never heard of winehacks)?
As far as I know, no one has actually "played" the game under Linux/Wine. We're trying, and we'll mention any successes (if any), but for now it's a no go.
Closed Thread