Lt. Commander
# 11
01-15-2010, 07:25 PM
yeah ground combat sometimes becomes so hicky and laggy that the game crashes to desktop
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Agreed.
space is very smooth, minus the ability to go straight up/down.

When I'm on ground missions, I feel like I'm playing an Atari 2600 game.
Seems like it's choppy with only L,R,U,D and no verticle motion.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-15-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm afraid I'm having the same issues... running a Nvida GTX 280. Nice no problem in space, as soon as I hit the ground, or board the space station it's like I've been dropped knee deep in mud!

Coming from LoTRO that I can play pretty much maxed everything with DX10 gfx which IMHO are not really anyway inferior to ST:O's renderings (just different) the drop in performance is staggering when you compare these MMO's side by side. Dropping graphics setting has a little, but not a major impact.. and I am running the 190.62 drivers.

I just hope they get this issue resolved... it (amongst a few other things) has unfortunately coloured my judgement somewhat with respect to pre-ordering/lifetime subs!
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
thats odd...

I'm on a Macbook Pro that has a Geforce 9600GT, running WIndows 7 Pro 64bit. With the stock Apple drivers its running slightly slower, but still quite fast and playable on the ground.... maybe if we can find like 50 people who doesn't have a problem, along with 50 who do.. and get full system specs and software/driver versions, we can find a common link.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-16-2010, 12:29 AM
My Specs are far beyond for this game so the problem isn't there.

In Closed Beta I had NO PROBLEMS in away missions, it ran fine and quick. Now, in Open Beta, as soon as we start to fight, it lags, gets jerky and crashes soon after.

For that reason I completely avoid anything that requires me to beam down because I know I'll have to restart my computer 3 times.

At least when I log back on, I continue exactly where I left off in the away mission...

I'm running on dual ATI 5770's and I'm aware there's known issues with ATI cards but like I said, I didn't have this problem before Open Beta.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Is this a driver issue that we need to wait for our respective chipset manufacturers to release a fix, or is this something that Cryptic/Atari can fix?

If it's the latter, at least hope is on the horizon. If it's the former, I have a hunch we won't be playing STO anytime soon.