Captain
# 11
01-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikephorus View Post
Yeah join a group of high dps people to inflate your own dps so you can feel good about your build.
Pretty easy to do 15+ (20+ with a tactical beamboat) in even the worst pug.

There are ships set up now that can solo the whole thing and just use the PUGs as meatshields while they do it.

Harsh? Maybe, but completely accurate.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Republic Veteran
# 12
01-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Yeah join a group of high dps people to inflate your own dps so you can feel good about your build.
fixed & +1
Captain
# 13
01-27-2014, 06:20 AM
Ya know, I get the distinct impression every time DPS comes up that there are a lot of really envious or jealous trolls out there that have such a strong sense of self entitlement that they cant feel anything but angry and mad that someone is doing something in the game better than they are?

Did I miss something? What is with the belittlement?

I do DPS because I can. Not to make you look bad. Not to make you feel inadequate. But because I can.

Since rudeness came at us first, deal with it.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Career Officer
# 14
01-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
Ya know, I get the distinct impression every time DPS comes up that there are a lot of really envious or jealous trolls out there that have such a strong sense of self entitlement that they cant feel anything but angry and mad that someone is doing something in the game better than they are?

I do DPS because I can. Not to make you look bad. Not to make you feel inadequate. But because I can.

I think you hit the nail on the head
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
01-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Quote:

I agree I see a lot of them in game and in forums, even in some fleets the attitude you seem to get is "elitist" when in reality you are far from it.

Elitist as one of my fleetmates put it are those who think they are right all the time with no regard to anyone's opinion and that things must be done in a certain way other the universe as we know it is "Dooooomed" and is usually really rude and obnoxious about it too...

Improving ones DPS should be seen as something to work toward and it is something I constantly try to do but not at the expense of survivability. Creating new ways to build ships, new combos and different combos of Doffs to do this is one of the reasons soo many new popular builds came out. I am 100% sure that the A2B build came about because someone wanted more Weapon Power and the other benefits came in quite handy as well.

Same with various other builds; theres probably far too many to list but don't be a hater sometimes (a lot) that DPSer can turn that failing Pug around.

Anyways Live Long and Prosper
Qapla!
No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!

Last edited by ijimithy; 01-27-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Career Officer
# 16
01-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijimithy View Post
I agree I see a lot of them in game and in forums, even in some fleets the attitude you seem to get is "elitist" when in reality you are far from it.

Elitist as one of my fleetmates put it are those who think they are right all the time with no regard to anyone's opinion and that things must be done in a certain way other the universe as we know it is "Dooooomed" and is usually really rude and obnoxious about it too...

Improving ones DPS should be seen as something to work toward and it is something I constantly try to do but not at the expense of survivability. Creating new ways to build ships, new combos and different combos of Doffs to do this is one of the reasons soo many new popular builds came out. I am 100% sure that the A2B build came about because someone wanted more Weapon Power and the other benefits came in quite handy as well.

Same with various other builds; theres probably far too many to list but don't be a hater sometimes (a lot) that DPSer can turn that failing Pug around.

Anyways Live Long and Prosper
Qapla!
Actually when I first ran an Aux2batt Galaxy-X 2 years ago it was bc of all the CD reductions. The power level I noticed the most was engines as it was much more maneuverable . It was only since the top damage PvEers started sharing their builds and reasons for them did overcapping really become something to strive for.

And BTW you can reach higher damage levels without Aux2batt. But you do lose something in survivability in my opinion. However many top damage dealers simply kill everything before they receive enough damage to be killed.
Commander
# 17
01-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Quote:

Are you referring to my post? I have done a lot of dps tracking and can do over 10k dps (it's really not that hard). What bothers me is how people test this stuff. They grab a bunch of people in decked out scimitars and do ISE in 2 minutes then claim their dps is 30k. ISE is a poor measure of your own dps even in a pug (but a pug is still more accurate then a premade), but going in with a bunch of high dps people just inflates your own numbers. If I normally do 15k dps, but suddenly I go do an ISE with a great team and my dps meter tells me I did 20k dps does that mean I do 20k dps? No it means that the great team inflated my numbers. Almost any tac with a good load out can burst for heavy dps while their damage buffs are active or have teammates stacking attack pattern beta on everything for them.

baudl suggested the op join a premade team so that he can get 10k dps. So effectively he's saying; "hey you cant do 10k dps, but if we surround you with great people doing really high dps you'll reach your goal."

U.S.S. Mary Celeste
Captain
# 18
01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Quote:
baudl suggested the op join a premade team so that he can get 10k dps. So effectively he's saying; "hey you cant do 10k dps, but if we surround you with great people doing really high dps you'll reach your goal."
there are also PUGs that can do it in 4 minutes.
I could have also said that if you PUG ISE and it is over in 5 minutes, and you didn't get over 10k, there is something wrong with your build.

but nobody should believe that not getting over 10k in a 8-10 minute run means they suck.

Parsing in a grp will allways distort the outcome. Unfortunately that's the way it is and can't really be helped.
For accurate tests you can only load a foundry mission (time gated), and do it solo. There probably is one around but i personally never looked one up.

There should be a foundry mission the majority can agree upon and this mission should be seen as a benchmark test of your build.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 01-27-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Captain
# 19
01-27-2014, 10:17 AM
I agree with you on that ise is a poor testing ground. But with it being the control it provides a more fair test then running nws and using each wave as a test.

I would love it for cryptic to add a test dummy to the game.

If the foundry could be manipulated into having 3 tightly packed infinite health generators, we could see "real" dps numbers.

Every other mmo I have ever player valued single target dps over aoe. STO is all about aoe dps...it's the only way beams can get the amazing numbers. Cannons need csv to "try" to compete, but they fall so short...it's almost pathetic.

Not to mention that ISE drastically favors beams over cannons due to the maneuvering/arc aspect of the run. Beams with 270 arc will have a much much easier time keeping 2 targets in arc, while cannons need perfect line ups to keep targets in their pitiful 45 degree arc.

I'll leave it with two points...if everyone knew what they were doing, cannons would get a (arc) buff.

And ultimately, I have no problem with ISE being the environment for parsing. There just isn't a better place.
Chive on and prosper

Shoot enough bullets in the dark and your bound to hit something
Commander
# 20
01-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
I agree with you on that ise is a poor testing ground. But with it being the control it provides a more fair test then running nws and using each wave as a test.

I would love it for cryptic to add a test dummy to the game.

If the foundry could be manipulated into having 3 tightly packed infinite health generators, we could see "real" dps numbers.

Every other mmo I have ever player valued single target dps over aoe. STO is all about aoe dps...it's the only way beams can get the amazing numbers. Cannons need csv to "try" to compete, but they fall so short...it's almost pathetic.

Not to mention that ISE drastically favors beams over cannons due to the maneuvering/arc aspect of the run. Beams with 270 arc will have a much much easier time keeping 2 targets in arc, while cannons need perfect line ups to keep targets in their pitiful 45 degree arc.

I'll leave it with two points...if everyone knew what they were doing, cannons would get a (arc) buff.

And ultimately, I have no problem with ISE being the environment for parsing. There just isn't a better place.
We've done stfs before so you're aware of my normal damage potential. I'd say in ISE I average between 12-16k dps depending on what ship I'm flying. The other day a friend of mine, who's in another fleet, asked me to join them on an ISE run. They had all recently got their new tac consoles and wanted to test out there damage. They couldn't get a fifth from their own fleet so they invited me. The run consisted of 3 Scimitars, a Fleet Dhelan, and myself in my Fleet D'Deridex. We completed the run in... I dunno 2 minutes or something it was very short. The fastest run I've ever been in. At the end of the run I checked the dps meter and we were all doing 20k dps. I had never parsed that high in my Double D ever, but when people ask me what my dps is I don't say 20k because I managed it once in a run with a bunch of decked out 5 tac console damage monsters because that's just stupid. If you can't get 10k dps in a pug, even a bad one, then you need to improve your build. Not join a premade to make yourself look like your doing more damage.

U.S.S. Mary Celeste