Lieutenant
I'd like to think the those participating in the Star Trek Online Universe are more intelligent than most, and have higher standards than most within our community.

If that is truly the case, then why is it we're not 'collectively' creating a solution to 'make real life money' with Star Trek by producing custom content, stories for ANY perspective. Whether it's a rated 'g' story or rated 'nc-17' story, Star Trek Online seems like the perfect 'test bed' for developing futuristic content and monetizing that?

I am proud to say I went to Thunderbird, and received an MBA from the #1 International Management school in the world (Yep, I am proud) - and if there's anything we learned there - it's that when you think an economy is undependable - then it's because the ethics and culture of those within the economy are undependable.

A game is no different. We're merely dealing with a different community where the ethical standards are still a common norm.

With that said, there's plenty of problems and issues being presented with online currencies, security, and such - for online games - people saying 'it will never happen'/

But consider this:

If you're on a Starship and only have books to read and a web site to make money on - wouldn't you get incredibly bored with long space flights? Particularly in a financially based economy - with limited time on a holodeck, we'd still be looking for other things to do.

So why not rethink gaming? And if Trekkies are 'all that' and a box of rocks, then quit thinking like a box of rocks and let's figure out ways to make an online economy work so we can play games while we're traveling the stars and have an income at the same time.

Quit saying 'it will never happen', which to me scares the crap out of me and makes me think you're saying space travel will never happen.

I'm convinced if we simply understand that it's up to us to discuss what we want and why, and provide the developers and Cryptic with ways to mitigate the problems we ourselves fully comprehend - then we will see online communities - and electronic currencies - flourish.

There's 'nude mods' for a reason. Where's the ability to tell stories which might reflect a real life future with them? There's no ability to add our own designs in, nor monetize our content. Nor have creative freedom to respect local laws and cultures and target market our audience like Hollywood has done for years. Why not learn from these models? Why not introduce better variety for content - whether it's music (which let's face it, STO sorely needs), visuals, stories, and more....

The Zen market is artificially inflated, and manipulated by Cryptic to optimize both control and their income. it's a poor model which history has proven capsizes the entire boat given enough time.

Sure, it's likely to be rocky at first.

But seriously, can you think of a better test bed for futuristic economies in 'real life' than Star Trek Online?

If we can't figure this out in a game, how in the hell are we ever gonna figure it out in real life?

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on how to get a dialog with Cryptic opened to at least consider this possibility?

And look, I've seen the flame wars on why it can't be done. I am sure you have your opinion on how it's not feasible, and not possible.

I implore you. Take that defeatist energy and redeploy it.

We deserve that much as a community, don't we? A flame only weighs down the negative energy and makes it more difficult to achieve. I'm asking for you to provide perspectives on how it CAN be done. If you mention a problem. provide a couple solutions.

Please

Last edited by maxlevelgod69; 01-27-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Lieutenant
# 2 oh
01-27-2014, 03:13 PM
and yes i am a dreamer.

If you have an insult for that, you're clearly playing the wrong game for you
Career Officer
# 3
01-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Well, if i were your professor at Thunderbird, you'd have got all that back very quickly with a note, "thesis not clear"
Career Officer
# 4
01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlevelgod69 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on how to get a dialog with Cryptic opened to at least consider this possibility?
You could try opening your wallet. Frankly, that's the only thing Cryptic listens to these days.
Iconian? A label created by the Dewans to give voice to their destruction.
In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant.
We simply... are.

Career Officer
# 5
01-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
You could try opening your wallet. Frankly, that's the only thing Cryptic listens to these days.
donation of a thousand dollars should do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Lieutenant
# 6
01-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkster View Post
Well, if i were your professor at Thunderbird, you'd have got all that back very quickly with a note, "thesis not clear"
lol.

How clear can I make this:

I'd like to make content for STO using Foundry, and sell it for real life money in game.

I'd also love to hear more music than the same cheesy stuff goin on in game! Make it a platform for distribution of music, give starving artists a chance at self promotion!
Career Officer
# 7
01-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Quote:
lol.

How clear can I make this:

I'd like to make content for STO using Foundry, and sell it for real life money in game.
Right, so you want to be able to turn zen back into cash.

The currency earned by a succesful foundry mission now is dilithium, dilithium means zen.

So, if you could turn zen into cash you could monetarise your efforts.

Two major issues here, which I'm surprised haven't been spotted by you.

Firstly, by signing the ToS, you have ceded ownership of any IP that went into your foundry work.

You'd have to convince Cryptic to renegotiate that contract with no clear benefit to them.

Secondly, your proposal essentially treats an MMO like a bank, in the sense you could put money in and take money out. I see absolutely no commercial interest for Cryptic in this whatsoever.

I'll be honest, it seems like you're trying to bypass the whole create a game engine bit in order to make games to sell to other people.

Foundry isn't open source. You've got no chance.
Lieutenant
# 8
01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkster View Post
Right, so you want to be able to turn zen back into cash.

The currency earned by a succesful foundry mission now is dilithium, dilithium means zen.

So, if you could turn zen into cash you could monetarise your efforts.

Two major issues here, which I'm surprised haven't been spotted by you.

Firstly, by signing the ToS, you have ceded ownership of any IP that went into your foundry work.

You'd have to convince Cryptic to renegotiate that contract with no clear benefit to them.

Secondly, your proposal essentially treats an MMO like a bank, in the sense you could put money in and take money out. I see absolutely no commercial interest for Cryptic in this whatsoever.

I'll be honest, it seems like you're trying to bypass the whole create a game engine bit in order to make games to sell to other people.

Foundry isn't open source. You've got no chance.
Seriously, why are you playing star Trek if you have no desire to see it in real life?

You're like a bad AI with no ability to question why you type these things down. Instead reacting like any scripted AI should. With conformity to the if-then-else logic you were scripted with.

"Received potential contribution outside pre-scripted boundaries. Response: Terminate conversation chain."
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Quote:
I'd like my own real-life TARDIS.

Want to have a poll on which of us stands the better chance of getting what we want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Blog
While we are removing part of the game, we hope that this improves the overall quality of STO.
-facepalm-
Captain
# 10
01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure what they teach at Thunderbird. But clearly, presentation skills aren't included.

You've got twenty-one incoherent ideas all colliding together, which make it hard to tell if you are confusing Thunderbird with Thundercats.

This is a game. Not an economics lab. If you want to try building new economic models, I recommend you go to Second Life.
"Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev