Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
# 71
01-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuhteb5 View Post
I think he worded his argument incorrectly. It's not that he disagrees that they shouldn't find new ways of generating profit; every company does that. It's the degree to which the game is being monetized and made grindy that he objects to.

Also, please, oh please, stop arguing from the standpoint of an investor. It drives me absolute nuts on these forums when people argue against somebody's opinion because they say "Cryptic needs to make money" or "it's a bad investment decision." Unless you are an investor with stock in PWE, you are first and foremost a customer of PWE and broadly speaking, a consumer in the videogame market. Unless the board of directors is making such poor decisions that they begin to hurt the overall quality of a product and eventually the consumer, consumers aren't to be concerned with top-down investment decisions. Why should they be? Shouldn't our concern be the cost of a product and it's quality?

So assuming all companies strive to make the most money and always look for new means of making profit and assuming consumers always try get the best bang for their buck, there has to be a balance in there somewhere. You can't dismiss his argument simply because "companies must make money."
I'm not sure who's arguing from the standpoint of the investor, but I assume that a company likely has the most, if not the best, insight how to make a profit. This makes me think twice about criticizing development or design decisions. It feels like armchair quarterbacking.

Besides, it's well-known that the opinions and sentiments expressed on forums do not represent those of the community at large. Nor do they necessary indicate the actions of those who make them. Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 573
# 72
01-30-2014, 03:28 PM
well after getting in and playing I'm cool with this grind, my only concern was that it'd be like the winter race where I could eventually develop mussel memory to it, not the case, it keeps my attention well.

Check out my ideas for the game here
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-F
First., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon Wolf
Wolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
# 73
01-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn444 View Post
Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash.
Hmmm... I'll bite.

I call shenanigans on the above statement, unless of course, you can provide us with quantitative data that upholds said statement. Just saying.

EDIT: I guess using your logic, then the staunchest critics of recreational/medical pot are often among those who are stoned all day every day... Interesting o_0

But I digress.

Doc, keep your work up
WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

Last edited by sonoframon; 01-30-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,139
# 74
01-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirboulevard View Post
Agreed on your tone. And word choice. Once the word "r*pe" was used, you lost credibility, Doc. If you can't be calm during your show, don't film it for your sake, man. And throwing the ARC debate on top of the anniversary debate was very unprofessional. I enjoy your videos, but as a former journalist, I must ask that you try to be more neutral.

If you truly were neutral in your journalist days, you have my admiration.


Too many today are slanted, thinking "editorializing" and "journalism" are one and the same, and throwing journalistic integrity out the door in the name of agendas.
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 548
# 75
01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Great Vids, Doc!

I look forward to watching your play of the new FE... Hopefully I can hit all the bells and whistles with as few runtrhoughs as possible...


CM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwelaughingtrendy
Virtually our virtuous captains are victorious over vicious Undine vessels from viscous space.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
# 76
01-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoframon View Post
Hmmm... I'll bite.

I call shenanigans on the above statement, unless of course, you can provide us with quantitative data that upholds said statement. Just saying.

EDIT: I guess using your logic, then the staunchest critics of recreational/medical pot are often among those who are stoned all day every day... Interesting o_0

But I digress.

Doc, keep your work up
I'm not sure what you mean by "quantitative data" but perhaps this blog post was quite illuminating: http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2011/07/forum-lies.html

And sorry, no. I did not present a logical argument that universally applies, including to critics of recreational/medical pot. Though I do find it interesting that many of the loudest homophobes tend to be exposed as gay themselves.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 573
# 77
01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn444 View Post
I'm not sure who's arguing from the standpoint of the investor, but I assume that a company likely has the most, if not the best, insight how to make a profit. This makes me think twice about criticizing development or design decisions. It feels like armchair quarterbacking.

Besides, it's well-known that the opinions and sentiments expressed on forums do not represent those of the community at large. Nor do they necessary indicate the actions of those who make them. Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash.
offtopic
while your statements are assumed true I have one question, "Intense critics of "pay2win" for example are often among those who shell out the most cash." How is this part reliant? I've put a bit of money into this game yes, but I don't want to have an advantage over a play that paid less than I did, I have bought what I bought for cosmetics, cheap gimmicks, not throw $20 at the game and be "god modding"

Check out my ideas for the game here
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-F
First., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon Wolf
Wolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 508
# 78 I agree with the Video poster
01-30-2014, 04:58 PM
The grinding added on top of having to pay for it is ridiculous. Cryptic really needs to stop trying to fill the void due to lack of gameplay by making us grind.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
# 79
01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
If you think this is grinding you should go try Lord of the Rings online and see what you have to grind there for each of your characters compared to this.

Complaining as in the video about doing it for 17 characters, is really complaining about something of your own doing. I doubt the average player has anywhere near that.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
# 80
01-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark4blood View Post
The grinding added on top of having to pay for it is ridiculous. Cryptic really needs to stop trying to fill the void due to lack of gameplay by making us grind.
Or just trade the dilithium for the zen and do a few surveys, you aren't actually "paying" for it.

And no the actual surveys aren't the try then buy deals.

And to the typical "trojan" posters. No those surveys don't have trojans with them. I have 2 anti-virus systems and an ad-sweeper. Not once has anything been detected by them since I started doing the surveys.

No you don't always find a survey you can participate on, but there are enough that you can make significant amounts of zen.

Haven't had to buy anything yet. Unless you are one of those that has to have it right now and just wants things handed to you.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 PM.