Career Officer
# 11
02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Now THIS is a fascinating thread! All the bicker bicker fight fight threads bore me, but this one caught my attention! Well played, all!

Anyway, I am from a small town in Wyoming (USA) called Star Valley (not originally, but where I call home now). Would the phrase "Stel'Rhiol" be accurate? Not sure but it seemed to me to reference "Valley of Stars."

Thanks!
CM
Republic Veteran
# 12
02-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm14916 View Post
Now THIS is a fascinating thread! All the bicker bicker fight fight threads bore me, but this one caught my attention! Well played, all!

Anyway, I am from a small town in Wyoming (USA) called Star Valley (not originally, but where I call home now). Would the phrase "Stel'Rhiol" be accurate? Not sure but it seemed to me to reference "Valley of Stars."

Thanks!
CM
I'd go with
Rrhiol ih'Saeihr
which is literally
Star Valley.

Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
Captain
# 13
02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Much appreciation for all the help, great to see threads like this. I've used Drow for my 'dark elf' character's ships, but Romulan is something I've never really delved into.

I've been using names with 'Ash' in them because I like the whole 'rising from the ashes' theme the Romulan Republic has going for it. The closest word/meaning I've found for 'ash' is adjective 'rehillh'. I could see that working within the names "Ashen Wing"(Rehillh Ihrraen'eri ?) or "Ashen Wind"(Rehillh Khaiell ?), but I'm a bit stumped in regards to "Ash Walker" or as a more literal meaning of "(That which) Walks Among/Over Ashes".

Last edited by szerontzur; 02-11-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 14
02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerontzur View Post
Much appreciation for all the help, great to see threads like this. I've used Drow for my 'dark elf' character's ships, but Romulan is something I've never really delved into.

I've been using names with 'Ash' in them because I like the whole 'rising from the ashes' theme the Romulan Republic has going for it. The closest word/meaning I've found for 'ash' is adjective 'rehillh'. I could see that working within the names "Ashen Wing"(Rehillh Ihrraen'eri ?) or "Ashen Wind"(Rehillh Khaiell ?), but I'm a bit stumped in regards to "Ash Walker" or as a more literal meaning of "(That which) Walks Among/Over Ashes".
Adjective follows noun; adverb follows verb; some few exceptions exist.

Aen Rehillh = Ashen Wing

Khaiell Rehilh = Ashen Wind

There is no official word for "ash" in any dictionary at my disposal, although there is a small corpus of literature in Rihan which has not always been codified and added to the dictionaries, in which some such word might be found. However, many Rihannsu revere the Elements, and in cultures with such perspectives, it would not be uncommon to find a common thing named with reference to personified Elements, such as Okhala, the Element of Fire among the Rihanh (not the same as non-elemental fire, not the same as plasma fire, but the Personification of the Element of Fire in a Mystical or Religious sense). A possibility for "ash," then, might be something like "child of Fire," which would give:
veoth s'Okhala = Offspring of Fire = Ash
the plural in this example would be:
veothir s'Okhala

So for your other name:
nveninen sa'veoth s'Okhala = Walker with Ash, One-Who-Walks with Ash
or
nveninen sa'veothir s'Okhala = Walker with Ashes, One-Who-Walks with Ashes.

Nveninen sa'veothir s'Okhala would perhaps be best?

Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
Captain
# 15
02-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Ah, okay, thanks for the adjectives clarification. I misinterpreted the previous case/explanation.

I might want to give up on "Ash Walker", it seems like a name that gets a bit lost in translation - at least in a way that is succinct and appropriate for a ship name.
Rihannsu
# 16
02-11-2014, 11:16 AM
not only that, do try to remember ship names are limited to 16 characters, so something like Nveninen sa'veothir s'Okhala wouldn't even fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Captain
# 17
02-11-2014, 01:17 PM
....Really... why hasnt Cryptic put protogoth on staff yet? She and I have had conflicts several times but one really cannot even dispute her mastery of Romulan language... the immersion factor in sto could go up 1000 times if ya just let her liberally sprinkle gratuitous Romulan words and phrases in the dialogue
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
02-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Making a name isn't exactly like turning a creative phrase. I've always assumed that one can make abbreviations rather than sticking to a literal translation. So to go back to the OP's original example,
Laehval Ihrraen'eri is a great and accurate translation for prose. But going for a ship name, I'd probably choose the shorter of the 'wing' choices (ih'aen) and combine it, for something like:

Laehvih'aen

Not strictly an accurate translation, but then names rarely are.
Republic Veteran
# 19
02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachikuno View Post
....Really... why hasnt Cryptic put protogoth on staff yet? She and I have had conflicts several times but one really cannot even dispute her mastery of Romulan language... the immersion factor in sto could go up 1000 times if ya just let her liberally sprinkle gratuitous Romulan words and phrases in the dialogue

*will work for ZEN and Refined Dilithium*

Captain
# 20
02-12-2014, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by protogoth View Post
I'd go with
Rrhiol ih'Saeihr
which is literally
Star Valley.
Can I get a translation for the word Pheonix? Thanks Protogoth