Lieutenant
# 11
02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra8080 View Post

Next map, you start in the transporter room and your chief asks destination. You say the correct code and add loads of triggering.
If you enter 124, the transporter room triggers off and you end up at the crash site. After you locate the item, yout engineer tells you: "To power up the device follow this wiring order: White, Blue, Green"
If you enter 328, you meet an angry captain in a settlement and fight a lot, and maybe get "transported" to the enemy ship via triggering. After you locate the item, yout engineer tells you: "To power up the device follow this wiring order: Blue, Blue, Yellow"
If you enter 557, you meet a friendly captain in a settlement seal the deal. At the end, your engineer tells you the power up sequence is: Red, Yellow, White"
You can have as many of these as you want.
On the next map, you enter the colors and the game will know if you blew up the ship, or got the item in a friendly manner or whatever.
I like the idea of having the player solve a puzzle A LOT. Gives the mission more of a challenge other than 'go here/kill this' - the question I have is HOW

Example: let's say I want a player to defuse a bomb. To do so they must rewire it. I am thinking in my mind one of those sliding tile game where you move one tile after another to complete the picture? that?s probably too elaborate for the foundry, so what do you suggest?

It would be a great addition that if the player cuts the wrong wire they receive damage?

Any ideas?
Captain
# 12
02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prierin View Post
I like the idea of having the player solve a puzzle A LOT. Gives the mission more of a challenge other than 'go here/kill this' - the question I have is HOW

Example: let's say I want a player to defuse a bomb. To do so they must rewire it. I am thinking in my mind one of those sliding tile game where you move one tile after another to complete the picture? that?s probably too elaborate for the foundry, so what do you suggest?

It would be a great addition that if the player cuts the wrong wire they receive damage?

Any ideas?
Yeah, we don't have that kind of puzzle available to us. About the best I've ever seen anyone manage is a dialog puzzle.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Rihannsu
# 13
02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Sliding tiles could be done. But.... the puzzle would have no reset button, and would probably end up being a simple matter of moving things around until it completes itself.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
A slidding puzzle is doable with dialogs.

If you have listened to Episode 10 of Bazag Stabs, http://www.bazagstabs.com/bazag-stab...de-10-puzzles/ , then it would be counted as a mini-game puzzle.

Suggestions:

1. Determine Start Point (How do you want the sliding puzzle to look when you start it up).
2. Determine what the end point should be (What's does the solved puzzle look like)
3. How are you going to represent the situation, each individual tile and overall puzzle in the dialog
4. Determine all possible states of the puzzle.
5. Map how each of the possible states relate to each other, ie movements that you can perform to change from one state to another.
6. Finally, after doing all this then you can start to create the puzzle, having a button for each movement that can be performed and possibly another to reset.

These tips work with most minigame puzzles
Lieutenant
# 15
02-12-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are 362.880 different states of a 3x3 sliding puzzle. Constructing one in foundry, even as a dialog, is humanely not possible at the moment.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
02-12-2014, 04:33 PM
True, but I think it was Project Echo: A lost reflection by rfrance74 that really pioneered using minigames as puzzles. However the actual structure of the puzzle was more of a procedural structure. Do the right thing at the right time.

If he spends the time to create a sliding puzzle and then finds a solution to it, it could still be doable as a gimmick, or structure to place around the puzzle.
Captain
# 17
02-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra8080 View Post

- Enterable buildings, the triggery way
This works best on Vulcan buildings, but good for all bigger buildings as well. Add a trigger that activates if you stand next to a door on the vulcan building. Then have the trigger spawn off the original building and spawn on one that is in slightly shifted. This way, the player will be placed inside the building without map change. You can leave the building the same way.
This is a great idea! Must try it sometime

During this Foundry Bonus Weekend, don't just choose the shortest missions, choose to play the best missions. Have more fun, get more marks!

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621