Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Okay this cannot be a feature, so it has to be a bug.
The following file is fragmented into to parts and when I attempt to defragment my hard drive, the defragmenting utility in XP complains that it is unable to continue the defragmentation:

1.48 GB \Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs\bins2.hogg

This is something that needs to be fixed. Should I report this problem in a specific way to have it fixed?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
how much free space do you have on the disk your trying to defrag?

its recommended that you have arround 15-25% free space before attempting to run a defrag. if you have less space then the largest file windows can defrag will be dictated by the amount of free space you have. windows or any defrag will need free space the equivilant of the largest file for it to move any fragments into while it re-organises and defrags the file, if defrag dosent have this free space it will generate the error your discribe

would suggest run windows error checking on the disk as it sounds more like an allocation issue on the disk

if you still cant defrag this file you could try using a tool called contig which is available for free download and is able to defrag individual named files
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by finglonger
how much free space do you have on the disk your trying to defrag?

its recommended that you have arround 15-25% free space before attempting to run a defrag. if you have less space then the largest file windows can defrag will be dictated by the amount of free space you have. windows or any defrag will need free space the equivilant of the largest file for it to move any fragments into while it re-organises and defrags the file, if defrag dosent have this free space it will generate the error your discribe

would suggest run windows error checking on the disk as it sounds more like an allocation issue on the disk

if you still cant defrag this file you could try using a tool called contig which is available for free download and is able to defrag individual named files
I have 9 GB of free space on that partition, so that is not the problem. I had this same problem with my iTunes data being the cause, so before I downloaded STO, I made a separate partition for my iTunes data and that fixed the problem. The problem did not return until after I had installed STO.

I will error check the disk and then try the contig tool. Thanks for telling me about it. I use Linux for most things and I am not familiar with all the Windows tools.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Try running defrag in safe mode. It's always better to do it in safe mode anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollywog View Post
I have 9 GB of free space on that partition, so that is not the problem. I had this same problem with my iTunes data being the cause, so before I downloaded STO, I made a separate partition for my iTunes data and that fixed the problem. The problem did not return until after I had installed STO.

I will error check the disk and then try the contig tool. Thanks for telling me about it. I use Linux for most things and I am not familiar with all the Windows tools.
the defrag analyzer will tell you a percentage free space, if you have below 15% (or is it 10% i forget exactly) free space windows will not allow you to defrag it will always error out below the minimum.

the other option is that the file is still in use for some reason, and thus windows can't touch it or it will lose piece and not be able to continue "using it" this is a very high likelyhood as my processes show the cryptic STO launcher still running even though it has been almost 24 hours since i logged in last, it is likely this your problem.

either way the poster above is correct restart to safe mode and defrag there. it is easier on the machine and will finish faster and garuntees the file is not "in use"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
Try running defrag in safe mode. It's always better to do it in safe mode anyway.
I will try that, thanks.

Contig shows that either the file is not fragmented or could not be defragmented and error checking the C drive showed no errors.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
Try running defrag in safe mode. It's always better to do it in safe mode anyway.
That is true but this did not work for me with this problem file. I have 34% free space on the drive, btw.

It is likely I will have to buy a new computer for the game anyway. My computer is 4 yrs old and I do not believe a new video card will be sufficient to speed things up and improve graphics. I ordered a new video card but I think I will end up buying a new machine. If I see this same problem on a new machine, it would be really weird.

Since nobody else is reporting problems with defragmenting this file, I suspect the hard drive is the problem.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance,
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollywog View Post
Okay this cannot be a feature, so it has to be a bug.
The following file is fragmented into to parts and when I attempt to defragment my hard drive, the defragmenting utility in XP complains that it is unable to continue the defragmentation:

1.48 GB \Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs\bins2.hogg

This is something that needs to be fixed. Should I report this problem in a specific way to have it fixed?
I have ran into this with LoTRO and one of my wife's Sherlock Holmes games. I was in a lull pllaying the former and she was not playing the later. So I was able to delete them then defrag as normal.

If you can, perhaps wait until after OB and Head start. When you get your retail copy. Delete STO, defrag, then do a fresh install from the retail disk.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian_Shade
I have ran into this with LoTRO and one of my wife's Sherlock Holmes games. I was in a lull pllaying the former and she was not playing the later. So I was able to delete them then defrag as normal.

If you can, perhaps wait until after OB and Head start. When you get your retail copy. Delete STO, defrag, then do a fresh install from the retail disk.

I had the same problem with iTunes and I created a separate partition for the iTunes data files and that solved the problem.

I will do something similar for this game if I have to buy a new computer in order to play it, and that is quite possible. Otherwise, I will do as you suggest and remove the game as installed now, defrag, then install the game out of the box when I get it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM.