Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,838
# 11
02-15-2014, 12:02 PM
cheap... no. But still cost effective in terms of the utility added.

The idea I have in my head would go from .1/.1/.1 to 1000/1000/1000, to everywhere in between, and every combination of everywhere in between.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 02-15-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,107
# 12
02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Uhmm... take some of our foundry races and put them into Doff packs?

Make a new ship and dump it in said pack?

Hell I'd pay for an Ask'kaar Doff that could ... i dunno... turn my quantom mortar into a tri colbalt mortar XD

Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,096
# 13
02-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
One thing that was discussed yesterday, was the possibility of making certain generic assets resizable. Obviously this would take major coding work, but it would greatly increase the variety of assets we have even if it reduces the number.

For example: take all of the cubes, square columns, walls, and floors that use the sandy tan-brown color, and make them a single object with customizable dimensions.

Taken to the extreme this could give us everything from flat walkways, to prison bars, to giant foundation blocks.
Could we get a scaled up TOS jeep? i always wanted to build a street with cars on it


These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 347
# 14
02-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
cheap... no. But still cost effective in terms of the utility added.

The idea I have in my head would go from .1/.1/.1 to 1000/1000/1000, to everywhere in between, and every combination of everywhere in between.
Hold on, do you realize how incredibly simple scaling in 3D is? You take the vertex coordinates and you multiply them on any or all of their axes. Take a coordinate of 2,2,2 (x,y,z respectively) and multiply them by 4. Now the vertex coordinates are 8,8,8. If you had four vertices (a cube), each 2 units from their respective axes (-2,2,-2 for example) and multiply them by 4, the cube would be 4 times larger (-8,8,-8). To scale down, you divide (or multiply by values between 1 and 0). Chances are, this is already in the engine (Scaling is an old and basic function of 3D, the first cards did transform and lighting calculations. It's a mandatory function.) and just needs an interface to allow the user to manipulate it.
Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,838
# 15
02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrah View Post
Hold on, do you realize how incredibly simple scaling in 3D is? You take the vertex coordinates and you multiply them on any or all of their axes. Take a coordinate of 2,2,2 (x,y,z respectively) and multiply them by 4. Now the vertex coordinates are 8,8,8. If you had four vertices (a cube), each 2 units from their respective axes (-2,2,-2 for example) and multiply them by 4, the cube would be 4 times larger (-8,8,-8). To scale down, you divide (or multiply by values between 1 and 0). Chances are, this is already in the engine (Scaling is an old and basic function of 3D, the first cards did transform and lighting calculations. It's a mandatory function.) and just needs an interface to allow the user to manipulate it.
Possibly. But the game isn't configured to store that sort of data in relation to Foundry objects. Or check for it. that's where the coding work would really come in.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 347
# 16
02-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Possibly. But the game isn't configured to store that sort of data in relation to Foundry objects. Or check for it. that's where the coding work would really come in.
Yes it is. Just because it's not in the UI, doesn't mean that scaling doesn't exist. It's one of the most basic parts of transformation in geometry. All it would require is an interface to manipulate the variables that already exist in the engine. It's not hard. What you're asking for is actually quite trivial. Adding scaling wouldn't be the parting of the Red Sea, more like putting a handle on a door.
Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 553
# 17
02-15-2014, 05:13 PM
There are a couple things that I think could make a major difference for the Foundry.

First, a dedicated developer assigned to Foundry stuff. Even if it's only 4 hours a week like Kirksplat said. This could make a huge difference, as it would mean time could then be set aside to deal with other issues, such as adding assets and porting features.

Second would be porting over Neverwinter's map-building tech. The thing that allows people to take room segments, slap them together, assign door linkages, and have a fully custom-built map ready to be decorated and populated for a mission.
One of the most limiting things for me, which I have to work around in order to make missions, is the fact that I currently have to use preset ground maps and work around their dimensions. I'd like to be able to set up maps like how I actually want them, instead of having to set them up to fit the closest available map template.
It would also allow for some map designs not currently possible with the current map editing tech here in STO. For example, a map that transitions into under water or in space while still controlling officers, not ships. (Although an underwater ship mission would be neat.)
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,096
# 18
02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryfive View Post
There are a couple things that I think could make a major difference for the Foundry.

First, a dedicated developer assigned to Foundry stuff. Even if it's only 4 hours a week like Kirksplat said. This could make a huge difference, as it would mean time could then be set aside to deal with other issues, such as adding assets and porting features.

Second would be porting over Neverwinter's map-building tech. The thing that allows people to take room segments, slap them together, assign door linkages, and have a fully custom-built map ready to be decorated and populated for a mission.
One of the most limiting things for me, which I have to work around in order to make missions, is the fact that I currently have to use preset ground maps and work around their dimensions. I'd like to be able to set up maps like how I actually want them, instead of having to set them up to fit the closest available map template.
It would also allow for some map designs not currently possible with the current map editing tech here in STO. For example, a map that transitions into under water or in space while still controlling officers, not ships. (Although an underwater ship mission would be neat.)
Yeah, If that tech comes along, the first thing i will do is voluntarily rebuild a lot of my built maps just because I'd love to control the layouts and scale of maps


These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
# 19
02-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Most bang for the least buck:

1. Implementing Captain Hunter's UI suggestions (especially a next button for browsing).

2. Getting tacofangs to spend 3 hours texturing primitives with ceilings, floors, and walls.

3. Bug fixes, from the lack of textures to freecam.

4. Having somebody, anybody, in charge of the Foundry, even if they only have 4 hours a week to even think about it.

If those 4 things happened, then I would be happy. Sadly, I doubt anyone will even read this thread.

I would trade those 4 things for "ports" from NW, because those ports would be dysfunctional and buggy.
I am in full agreement here. A better interface. Bug fixes and get it out of beta, pvp isn't stuck in beta...
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 162
# 20
02-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
Uhmm... take some of our foundry races and put them into Doff packs?

Make a new ship and dump it in said pack?

Hell I'd pay for an Ask'kaar Doff that could ... i dunno... turn my quantom mortar into a tri colbalt mortar XD
LOL, I like it. And I too would purchase a few Medusik and Meltoran doff packs if they had them as I am sure others would if they gave them some decent traits.

Truthfully, the Foundry will get more love if it is financially feasible with returns to show the corporate ownership.

If Cryptic did more to market it properly, and use some of the ideas we shared in that aspect to bring more profit into it, I'm sure the corporate management could be convinced to invest more into it, otherwise, we should continue to push for more of Kirkfat's requests and the bug fixes. They are the most feasible and least expensive.

Duke-of-Rock
ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 AM.