Career Officer
# 11
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Out of all the events, I miss Mirror Universe the most. My rep grinds have come to a halt, because I'm simply out of experience points. Also, I (stupidly) attempted to rework my whole build, and spent the majority of yesterday grinding out experience points just to max the skills and dump exp into the items I need. Mirror Universe needs to return as a queue-able STF, with an Elite version for level 50s for even more glorious exp.

As far as the bonus mark events go, this bonus weekend better be like double the normal amount of marks...
One Of Eight: Captain of a 16k DPS Moebius Temporal Destroyer, I.S.S. Asimov
Sardak: Captain of a 13k DPS Aves Class Science Destroyer, R.R.W. Vathos
Zax Narale: Captain of a 20k DPS Fleet Galaxy X Dreadnought Battlecruiser, U.S.S. Picard's Fist
Rihannsu
# 12
02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Lvl 50's were on a single map. May not have been Elite difficulty (ok, medium or easy for some folks), but you wouldn't be teamed with anyone lower than yourself.

I know this cause I wanted to help out a friend/fleet member who was lower level and it wouldn't let us que in to it. Other lvl 50 friends/teammates, no problem. 49 or lower, no go.
Ensign
# 13 yes
02-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Taking away the hourly events has reduced my play time as well as the involvement in my fleet. When you design the game to be a huge grind, people are only going to play if the rewards are worth the time and the grind. Removing the hourly events have just made the grind that much more painful. Whats the point in grinding for marks of dilith during the week when you know you should be earning more? Going from having each event every couple hours, to only one event every OTHER week can only be accurately described as a Nerf to everyone. Not to mention the fact that many players don't work Mon-Fri, 9-5. Many of us work weekends and therefore we are punished for wanting to play the game during the week.
On top of all of that there is no way I'll be starting another character until the mirror event returns or XP earned is greatly increased in PvEs.
Commander
# 14
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM
I agree they should be brought back, as I am not desparate for any marks I have pretty much stopped playing. Not about to farm marks without a bonus event if I don't really need them.

At the very least these weekend events need to be run every weekend not every other weekend, and one of them should be for expertise in some way. If not Mirror then maybe just every PvE queue mission you complete gives you 5 or 10k expertise with its reward.
Fed Fleet: Kodiak Legion (Tier 5 Lvl 20) | KDF Fleet: Imperial Legion (Tier 5 Lvl 20)
Commander
# 15
02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Why not go one step further and instead of running just one thing (ie) Bonus Marks Weekend, run them all and let the players choose which ones to do. It'd be a lot better that way and much less of a grind as there would be options where there are none now.
Ensign
# 16
02-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadme2kirk View Post
Why not go one step further and instead of running just one thing (ie) Bonus Marks Weekend, run them all and let the players choose which ones to do. It'd be a lot better that way and much less of a grind as there would be options where there are none now.
I don't think that you understand my issue here. The problem is that this isn't a million player community. With the hourly events, players gravitate towards those events. As such, when the events are running, there are lots of people in the zones/areas/queues for those events. During non-hourly event times, it's anyone's guess if you'll even be able to run the content due to a lack of players.

Log on a KDF toon and have a look at the queues. Most of the time, it's impossible to run any of that content. There's 4 or 5 queues that actually have a sufficient number of players, the rest are empty. Want to run "Federation Minefield?" Good luck. How about, "The Big Dig." That's a laugh.

With the hourly events, there was a chance of being able to run some of this content. My original post gives some suggestions to improve the system to make it better, which I believe is a much better idea than throwing the system out.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
02-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Having the weekend events is, in general, a bad thing.

It used to be that you logged in to STO, looked at the calendar, saw which event was happening and maybe did something to benefit from it (bonus marks for 3 hrs, run some STFs). Then stay on for another hour and do the Mirror event. And, oh look, the hour after is Time To Craft, maybe I can finally get the last console I need for my build at 50% of dil store price, I'll stay logged in. This sort of thing worked even with lots of characters.

Now that the long weekend events are on, this is what happens: Log in straight after patch to find out what the event is. Do something to benefit from the event. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. Oh look, it's Monday morning, the event's over, and all I've done this weekend is grind dilithium/rep marks/tribbles, I haven't actually done anything to improve my ship, my character, or my playing experience.

Doubtless there are proponents and opponents of each method of offering players the chance to earn extra currency of various types, but I think they all would agree that grind is bad, variety is good.

A good solution would be to have a mixture. Does Tour The Galaxy really need an hour all to itself? No, keep it as a daily (but for Bob's sake, increase the time limit to something reasonable so you don't have to have the latest super-ship and extra-speed-gear to get it done in the time available). Does The Vault need an hourly event? Not since they started the Romulan Rep, so make it a daily for bonus marks, or just leave it so it gets included in a Bonus Rep event. And run those Bonus Rep/Dilithium/Fleet marks events every day, for four or five hours at a time. Cycle these bonus sessions with the other hourly events between them, so that everyone has a reasonable chance of getting a couple of hours of Bonus-time and a couple of hourly events in each play session, and regularly change the order of the hourlies so people can experience different ones. Then at weekends you can have Bonus Rep/Dilithium/Marks running all the time so those four-hour bonus sessions don't have have any effect, but people can still do other stuff usefully. They can choose to continue to grind Rep, or they can choose to take advantage of the hourly boost to XP from the Mirror event.