Republic Veteran
# 41
02-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaster29 View Post
Yeah, if you wanted a Klingon name, there's alot of translators for them, in fact, Protogoth should make a Romulan translator on the interweb, it would help out alot.
There is an online dictionary for Rihan; it's not satisfactory, because it was apparently developed before the vocabulary of the language had grown to the size it's at now -- it even omits terms found in the IRLI website's dictionary (which came after the CIRL site).

Using a dictionary of a foreign language, even if it's exhaustive and unabridged, will not suffice to construct meaningful names, sentences, or phrases in that language. Online translators like BabelFish and Google Translate are also much less reliable than they should be, even with real-world languages.

Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
Republic Veteran
# 42
02-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaster29 View Post
Can I get a translation for the word Pheonix? Thanks Protogoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by protogoth View Post
Alas, there is no such word in Rihan.
I found something that might work:

Alth'indor

It's not "officially" a Rihan word (insofar as it's not in either the CIRL or IRLI dictionaries, and wasn't used in Diane Duane's works), but it should probably be added to the Rihan lexicon.

However, bear in mind that this name has a historical connection which may put you off using the name. In Path to 2409 (year 2399), the I.R.W. Alth'Indor was the ship commanded by General Tebok, and it exploded due to what was believed by Tebok's engineers to be a virus, killing Tebok and all hands.

Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
Captain
# 43
03-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by protogoth View Post
I found something that might work:

Alth'indor

It's not "officially" a Rihan word (insofar as it's not in either the CIRL or IRLI dictionaries, and wasn't used in Diane Duane's works), but it should probably be added to the Rihan lexicon.

However, bear in mind that this name has a historical connection which may put you off using the name. In Path to 2409 (year 2399), the I.R.W. Alth'Indor was the ship commanded by General Tebok, and it exploded due to what was believed by Tebok's engineers to be a virus, killing Tebok and all hands.
Yeah, well since my Romulan (T'vox) hates the Tal'Shiar, I doubt I'll use it (if you ask why he flies a Falchion, It's because he only uses it against Tal'Shiar forces). Thanks for trying,
Jolan Tru
Commander
# 44
03-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Nice try, but Tebok was Tal Prai'ex, you should not trust the Feds or the Klinks with telling you these things.
Captain
# 45
03-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Okay a couple more for the brain boxes (compliment not sarcasm) to translate for me:

-Judgement Day
-Stalker or shadow stalker
Republic Veteran
# 46
03-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia View Post
Okay a couple more for the brain boxes (compliment not sarcasm) to translate for me:

-Judgement Day
-Stalker or shadow stalker
Eisae ih'Vahhrer = Judgment Day
Eisae vahhrerai = [a] day of judgment (when not used as a Proper nominal phrase = when not a name)
Eisae s'Vahhrer = [the] Day of Judgment (ONLY as a name)

There is no word for "stalk" (and thus, no "stalker" or "stalking" or anything of the sort) in any Romulan dictionary at my disposal. However, as "stalk" is used as a synonym for "hunt" (especially in British English):

Glohhanen = Hunter
Khellian = Hunter (archaic); please be aware that I have a ship with this name (I'm not saying "Don't use it," nor even asking you not to; I'm merely giving a heads up, because some participants in this forum view me as somewhat controversial due to my refusal to swallow generalizations derived from the attitudes and behavior of the Tal'Shiar applied to the Romulan people as a whole, and the fact that I refuse to forget that the Romulans in TOS were a wholly different breed from the majority of Romulans depicted in all later series).

Khellian laehvalai = [a] hunter of shadow (archaic and not a name)
OR
Glohhanen laehvalai = [a] hunter of shadow (not a name)

Khellian s'Laehval = (archaic and a name, and since "Laehval" is the name of Sela's ship, this could be taken as meaning that your ship is stalking her ship)
OR
Glohhanen s'Laehval = [the] Hunter of Shadow (a name, and since "Laehval" is the name of Sela's ship, this could be taken as meaning that your ship is stalking her ship)

Khellian laehvalen = [a] hunter of shadows (archaic and not a name)
OR
Glohhanen laehvalen = [a] hunter of shadows (not a name)

Khellian ch'Laehval = [the] Hunter of Shadows (archaic and a name)
OR
Glohhanen ch'Laehval = [the] Hunter of Shadows (a name)

Lieutenant
# 47
03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
We should get together at sometime on New Romulus or the Flotilla and have Rihannsu class

Fleet: Tal'Diann
Name: Dhivael i'Ratleihfi t'Kamemor
JJ Abrams did to Star Trek what Stephanie Meyer did to Vampires and what a Nuclear Bomb did to Chernobyl
Lieutenant
# 48
03-17-2014, 08:50 PM
My Scimitar is RRW Ra'kholh I believe that's Romulan for vengeance

Fleet: Tal'Diann
Name: Dhivael i'Ratleihfi t'Kamemor
JJ Abrams did to Star Trek what Stephanie Meyer did to Vampires and what a Nuclear Bomb did to Chernobyl
Captain
# 49
03-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Thank you again Proto.

I have Judgement Day in old English but didn't think it would fit a Romulan ship, Eftwyrd. I know most don't and even if I or others don't understand it I do like the names to fit. I've always been like this with games.
Republic Veteran
# 50
03-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitysalander View Post
My Scimitar is RRW Ra'kholh I believe that's Romulan for vengeance
It is poetic Romulan for "Avenger."