Commander
# 21
02-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
Thats cool. And yeah I understand, this game is very math heavy when you get into min/maxing a build. Although I can tell you that if your DPS is over 5000 youre probably adequate for most anything anyway. Those of us that push over 20,000 are doing it for the sake of it really, at least me anyway.

You dont need it, if I am honest.
I will try and absorb and go in with a fresh head tomorrow. See if I can get my crit and severity ratio figured out so I can balance it. I don't wanna be a DPS master but I do feel my ship could be doing better balanced criticals and severity.
Captain
# 22
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosbfly View Post
I will try and absorb and go in with a fresh head tomorrow. See if I can get my crit and severity ratio figured out so I can balance it. I don't wanna be a DPS master but I do feel my ship could be doing better balanced criticals and severity.
It's complicated, but crth/crtd is roughly 1:10 ratio.
(A * CrtH) * (B * CrtD)
You want the biggest total result for most dps from crit. Crth weapon mod is 2%, crtd is 20%. For tac consoles, vulnerability locator is 1.8% crit chance, while vulnerability exploiter is only 8% crit severity, making exploiter a poor choice.

Of course having no crit severity at all is not good, but the balance is skewed heavily towards crit chance. It's a bad idea to pump crit severity before touching crit chance. It should be the opposite. And don't add in extra crit chance that you don't have, cryptic has since fixed the display, at least in space.
Captain
# 23
02-23-2014, 10:57 PM
So, based on this discussion, I've erred in going with 4x Locators on my FPE?

According to my stats tab in-system, I'm at around 18% crith unbuffed (23% with APA3), but only the mid-70's for critd. Also, how does "Bonus Accuracy" (or whatever it says at the top of the Attack tab) come into play?

Note: Current config consists of...

6x Fleet Pol Beam Arrays with Acc x2/Dmg x2
4x Spire Locator Consoles (Pol)
Nukara, ZP, Borg and Leech (plus Mk 12 Neut and RCS)
2x Purple Romulan Embassy Boffs

I can pull 14-17K in ISE with this rig and seem to do well in PvP, the latter being my focus for this build.

I have 4x Exploiters lying around. Should I be slotting one or two of those instead of going all-Locator?

Another consideration for PvP: T4 Placate. More crits (even little ones) = more opportunities to jam an opponent's sensors.

RCK
Captain
# 24
02-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet View Post
It's complicated, but crth/crtd is roughly 1:10 ratio.
(A * CrtH) * (B * CrtD)
You want the biggest total result for most dps from crit. Crth weapon mod is 2%, crtd is 20%. For tac consoles, vulnerability locator is 1.8% crit chance, while vulnerability exploiter is only 8% crit severity, making exploiter a poor choice.

Of course having no crit severity at all is not good, but the balance is skewed heavily towards crit chance. It's a bad idea to pump crit severity before touching crit chance. It should be the opposite. And don't add in extra crit chance that you don't have, cryptic has since fixed the display, at least in space.
Noblet why are you flat out lying to the guy?

The character sheet has NEVER shown mods on crit chance, since each weapon is its own entity, and the same is so for EWS since it affects each individual weapon (since they arent all necessarily energy now are they, why would the global listed crit chance reflect the actual crit rate of a mixed torp/energy build for example)

Simple as, with the glut of crit out there, get to severity cap first if you can, because then its just up up up with crit.

The whole locator vs exploiter thing is absolutely stupid to even discuss, and weve been through this a billion times too. 40 severity is literally 1/4 of the severity AVAILABLE

Let me try this one last time, maybe someday youll finally get what I am telling you. CritD is extremely hard to stack, extremely. To the point of going anything over 100 critD requires either 40 million EC a pop weapons (which I am starting to think you sell in bulk or something, what other possible motive could there be?), or stacking out that missing critD and picking up the H in any of the plethora of places you can get it from besides the consoles.

You either go critdx3 and lost two other mods while gimping the hell out of your accuracy, while spending 500 million EC to do so, or you go the way that makes more sense and you get as much of whats harder to get stacked up first, and get the easy mode crit chance after.

Im honestly starting to think youre just trying to screw people over on the forums. You just flat out lied to this guy about the display. Lied.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===

Last edited by rylanadionysis; 02-24-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Commander
# 25
02-24-2014, 03:06 AM
I don't really go much for CrtD because it seems for me, I sort of getting semi-easily. I focus more on CrtH because, the way I see it, a crit is a crit, and even if your CrtD was, say, 13%, that is STILL extra damage dealt (and unlike Tac consoles, a crit increases the total weapon damage of that hit). The ratio of 1:10 seems OK, but really, I consider CrtH to be superior and a priority over CrtD, especially if you run Antiprots beams.
Captain
# 26
02-24-2014, 04:01 AM
Ive always bewn told acc and dmg is best

am I wrong

if I am I need new weps lol
. . . . . . . . Insert witty content. . . . . .
Captain
# 27
02-24-2014, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck01 View Post
So, based on this discussion, I've erred in going with 4x Locators on my FPE?

According to my stats tab in-system, I'm at around 18% crith unbuffed (23% with APA3), but only the mid-70's for critd. Also, how does "Bonus Accuracy" (or whatever it says at the top of the Attack tab) come into play?

Note: Current config consists of...

6x Fleet Pol Beam Arrays with Acc x2/Dmg x2
4x Spire Locator Consoles (Pol)
Nukara, ZP, Borg and Leech (plus Mk 12 Neut and RCS)
2x Purple Romulan Embassy Boffs

I can pull 14-17K in ISE with this rig and seem to do well in PvP, the latter being my focus for this build.

I have 4x Exploiters lying around. Should I be slotting one or two of those instead of going all-Locator?

Another consideration for PvP: T4 Placate. More crits (even little ones) = more opportunities to jam an opponent's sensors.

RCK
Accuracy overflow is 1% critd per point. Excess accuracy isn't wasted. Accuracy overflow is broken with faw atm though, and unlike faw crit, isn't yet fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post

am I wrong

You're not wrong.
Captain
# 28
02-24-2014, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet View Post
Accuracy overflow is 1% critd per point. Excess accuracy isn't wasted. Accuracy overflow is broken with faw atm though, and unlike faw crit, isn't yet fixed.
care to give any source for that bit of info? Last i checked the ACC overflow was crtH and crtD as this video illustrates (at around 29:30)
the numbers are: for every 1% ACC overflow you get 0,125% crtH AND 0,5 crtD

now the acc tooltip says only crtD, but it did say that since the game launched to my knowledge and honestly i rather believe an interview from 3 years ago, than a single line of text in the game itself.

also it never showed up anywhere that this had been changed within the last few years, so...

Quote:

am I wrong
ACC is always a usefull stat, but since most PVE content requires only the minimum amount of ACC to have a 99% hit chance even on NPC frigates, the trait (with 25% ACC) is already sufficent for PVE gameplay.
So 10% ACC in PVE = 1,25% crtH and 5% crtD...but considering that with 2 ACC mods you "only" get 2,5% crtH and 10%crtD which could be on the other hand 2% crtH and 20% crtD...i let each and everyone for himself decide.

for people that do exclusively PVE, 2x ACC is not bad, and only little less than actual "PVE mods"
actually STO is the first game that adds some extra bonus (it nearly equals out actually!!) to "hit rating" i know of...the result being that ACC is insanely popular and expensive.

again, why CrtD weapon mods? Simply because there is a huge amount of this stat on weapons...exploiter consoles simply have too little crtD in terms of quantity compared to locator consoles.
both stats are equaly precious and need to be in a certain ratio to each other, so the logical way is to grab the item where the most quantity of one of those stats is on.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 02-24-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Captain
# 29
02-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post

am I wrong

It could also depend on the context.

As far as fleet weapons are concerned, [acc]x2 [dmg]x2 is one of the better modifiers, compared to [dmg]x3 [crth/crtd/acc]x1. not because [acc] and [dmg] is so great, but because the rest is even less desirable.
Ensign
# 30
02-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosbfly View Post
I know people have said this a lot but this is what bugs me about the game. Its so frustrating you can't apply stuff and have something in game that shows all the boosts in crit and severity. Its stuff like this that will cripple my ability to get a decent built going as I'm hopeless at maths.

True that it is frustrating and annoying, though to me its not even a matter of math, I just don't like lazy games. All of this info is not available in game at cursory glance. Unless one trolls the forums and other sto info sites you would be playing in the dark. Most of the stuff we know about the game doesn't come from the game itself, we either have to work out the calculations ourselves or turn to the experts on various forums. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine with many mmos. In an ideal world the info would be there ingame for me to browse and compare instead of having to break out the spreadsheets or in cases where I am ignorant on a subject, seek out a guru.