Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lieutenant
# 41
02-21-2014, 04:18 PM
first of all cause there are some dumb questions out here :

the name
the name of the ship class aka the lead ship (The lead ship or class leader is the first of a series or class of ships all constructed according to the same general design. The term is applicable to military ships and larger civilian craft. ) in this case Montgomery the name is normal navy ship name for USN the name is currently given to USS Montgomery LCS-8 Independence-class littoral combat ship she is second ship to be named for Montgomery, the capital of the state of Alabama
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Montgomery

Dyson also did work in a variety of topics in mathematics, such as topology, analysis, number theory and random matrices. There is an interesting story involving random matrices. In 1973 the number theorist Hugh Montgomery was visiting the Institute for Advanced Study and had just made his pair correlation conjecture concerning the distribution of the zeros of the Riemann zeta function. He showed his formula to the mathematician Atle Selberg who said it looked like something in mathematical physics and he should show it to Dyson, which he did. Dyson recognized the formula as the pair correlation function of the Gaussian unitary ensemble, which has been extensively studied by physicists. This suggested that there might be an unexpected connection between the distribution of primes 2,3,5,7,11, ... and the energy levels in the nuclei of heavy elements such as uranium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson

Empire Veteran
# 42
02-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Wouldn't the USS Montgomery being named after Montgomery Scott be as if a ship were named the USS James after James T. Kirk?

Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 43
02-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaaa View Post
Wouldn't the USS Montgomery being named after Montgomery Scott be as if a ship were named the USS James after James T. Kirk?
The USS James is actually named after noted Terran actor of the 20th and 21st centuries, James Woods.

The USS Montgomery is named after former NFL running back Wilbert Montgomery. Because of his achievements in advancing round objects while using applied mathematics.
Survivor of Remus
# 44
02-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymyajha View Post
Kind of quibbling here, Helios has nothing to do with the sun in the middle of the Dyson sphere. Helios is an ancient Greek Sun God, so it would have more to do with Sol then with a brown dwarf in the middle of a anciet Dyson sphere.

Unless I missed that the Romulan lead alliance had named the Dyson sphere's sun after an ancient Greek sun god of the Sol system. But then of course, listening to Romulans and Klingons call it a Dyson sphere in game is kind of a misnomer too, so I can at least see the correlation when it comes to the devs.
Due to the fact that romulans remand and vulcans are based of classical Roman and Greek mythology and facts then I don't find it to far fetched
-"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
Captain
# 45
02-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack12c View Post
Due to the fact that romulans remand and vulcans are based of classical Roman and Greek mythology and facts then I don't find it to far fetched
The story of Romulus and Remus is one of the few aspects of Ancient Roman society that is distinctly Roman with no Greek influence. It's the civilization's foundation myth.

Also there are differences between the Roman versions of Greek gods so Vulcan may be analogous to Hephaestus, but they're not entirely the same either. Example: Vulcan was not a god of blacksmiths.
Starfleet Veteran
# 46
02-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woerligen View Post
I assure, my history lessons ons WW2 were thorough. It's the primary history topic at German schools. The planning of D-Day was of little importance in class. It was an Allied operation. What counted were its consequences on the war effort. The persons we talked about in class weren't Patton, they were the political leaders and people like Anne Frank.

I can see aliens recognizing the significance of Patton and Eisenhower, but wolud your average Betazoid get the reference to a general rather than thinking of a city in North America? I don't know. We may be too humanocentric in the approach.
I'd be surprised if an alien knew who George S. Patton and Dwight D. Eisenhower were, but knew nothing of Bernard Montgomery. Would those same aliens also get the reference to the USS Hood, named after Admiral Hood; or the USS Thunderchild, named after a fictional warship; and what about the USS Zhukov, named after Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov? If the significance of Horatio Nelson is still known in the 24th century by Starfleet officers, then I don't see why there would be an issue with naming a ship after Bernard Montgomery.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 02-22-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Captain
# 47
02-22-2014, 02:56 PM
The USS Hood is actually a shorthand for its full name, which is named after the ground breaking parody film of the late 20th century, the United Star Ship Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking your Juice in the HOOD.
Career Officer
# 48
02-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
The USS James is actually named after noted Terran actor of the 20th and 21st centuries, James Woods.

The USS Montgomery is named after former NFL running back Wilbert Montgomery. Because of his achievements in advancing round objects while using applied mathematics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
The USS Hood is actually a shorthand for its full name, which is named after the ground breaking parody film of the late 20th century, the United Star Ship Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking your Juice in the HOOD.
OMG!! I laughed my arse off!!! You win the post

Seriously, though, being fairly well versed in WW2 history, I immediately thought of the Tactical version of the ship being named after General Montgomery with a tip of the hat by Cryptic to Scotty.

Just my 2 cents..
Real Join Date: Feb 2010
Co-founder: TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
tosfleet.com

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
Lieutenant
# 49
02-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Perhaps named after Montgomery, Alabama? The US Navy names all Los Angeles class attack subs after American cities, why not a starfleet ship, since so many of their names come from American and British Warships?
Career Officer
# 50
02-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undedavenger View Post
Perhaps named after Montgomery, Alabama? The US Navy names all Los Angeles class attack subs after American cities, why not a starfleet ship, since so many of their names come from American and British Warships?
Equally possible, though since you mention Birtish and American ships and names as an important source (which was always a bit strange considering the UFP and Starfleet should be made up of more than just Brits and Americans) a British Field Marshal works equally well. The Germans had a destroyer named "Rommel" after all.

Maybe it's both.