Captain
# 121
02-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedsnake001 View Post
I would try the freebie first, then if you like it with the Solonae set, get the rest.

Simple as that.
And that is really all there is to it.

Most people are not going to buy 9 ships. Most people have 3-4 characters on the FTP account. They do not need 9 Science Destroyers. One of those 3-4 characters might be Science and so they might want a single ship pack for it but they do not need all 9 ships, thus the 9-pack is meaningless to them.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 122
02-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia View Post
Exactly. I had a friend a while back who collected stamps and payed a grand or so on a stamp. Hobbies are something some people are willing to spend a ton of money on.
Yeah, my son just started into coin collecting. It gets a little scary when he starts talking about wanting us to buy $200.00 pennies.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 123
02-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Yeah, my son just started into coin collecting. It gets a little scary when he starts talking about wanting us to buy $200.00 pennies.
Well as long as he doesn't hit you up for a loan

On the matter at hand I wouldn't buy them for my fed characters as I find that design ugly. However the Rommy one looks nice and, unusually, so doe the KDF one. However I find them lack luster, and sort of a jack of all trades but a master of none. Personally on my Fed I will stick with my Vesta.
Career Officer
# 124
02-20-2014, 06:40 AM
The thing I love about these threads is you can tell which posters are destined to end up in some fashion on the Notalwaysright website.
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\banner11.jpg
Survivor of Romulus
# 125
02-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varthelm View Post
The consoles being unique to the ship doesnt bother me. Its the grind necessary to get a complete C-store ship...that and the 9 seperate ships...really? Just doesnt show a proper respect for either my time or my money.
you only need 9 seperate ships if you plan on using it on all factions. you can easily just pick one of them (say RR, since they dont get many sci ships) and buy it for 5k, you got one complete dyson ship for your rommy.

its only if you need to get a DSD on each faction that you should shell out the 10k.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 126
02-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
you only need 9 seperate ships if you plan on using it on all factions. you can easily just pick one of them (say RR, since they dont get many sci ships) and buy it for 5k, you got one complete dyson ship for your rommy.

its only if you need to get a DSD on each faction that you should shell out the 10k.
This,

The Feds really do not need the dyson ship as they have the Vesta, but the Klingons and Romulans can very much use it, and even then, the KDF already has the Kar'fri and Varanus, which are not that bad of science ships in the C-store.
Captain
# 127
02-20-2014, 08:06 AM
I have 3 characters in my account

1 Fed Tactical - Dyson ships does extremely well
1 Rom Engineering - Dyson ship does well
1 Klingon Science - Dyson ship does poorly, but may be my lacing of engineering slots to place some extra shielding.
Quote:
"Captain! A Necro-class Thread just decloaked!"
"Photon torpedoes, full spread! Phasers, fire!"
"Direct hit, Captain!"
"Mod, send a priority message to Starfleet. We have disabled a Necro.
Captain
# 128
02-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Of course there are some players who would purchase it - probably PvP players.

As I said above, there are people paying $500.00 for a Spectral Tiger Loot Card on Ebay for their WOW character. Spending a lot of money on your hobby is not uncommon, in any hobby.
You think they'd go 5000$? How far do you think Cryptic could push it?

Personally, I don't by items in games, I buy games. I haven't spent a penny on STO in two years. I used to be a whale, too. Once I realized Cryptic was just pocketing my cash, and not doing anything to make the game better.
This all happened... more, or less.
Captain
# 129
02-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
You think they'd go 5000$? How far do you think Cryptic could push it?

Personally, I don't by items in games, I buy games. I haven't spent a penny on STO in two years. I used to be a whale, too. Once I realized Cryptic was just pocketing my cash, and not doing anything to make the game better.
I cannot really speculate on what someone would pay. Each person has an entirely different financial threshold.

Heck, I purchased an LTS to Champions Online just so I could get into the Closed Beta of STO. So obviously a couple of hundreds dollars is not an issue for me - and factoring that in with my STO LTS, the boxsets I purchased, and all the C-Store items in the game I purchased before Dilithium was introduced I am fairly certain I have around $1,000.00 tied up in STO right now.

There are clearly people playing who have dumped hundreds of dollars into Keys every quarter when a new Lockbox is released, so money is not a major issue to them either.

Of course since the game went FTP and introduced the Dilithium Exchange I have not spent any of my own money on STO - though I have purchased everything in the C-Store and Exchange I have wanted and still have over 65,000 Zen on my account. So someone else is paying for me.

As far as Cryptic not making the game better, well, you and I will just need to disagree on that subjective opinion. I find the game to be immensely better then it was at Headstart and Launch, as well as the FTP Launch. YMMV
Lieutenant
# 130
02-24-2014, 03:31 PM
I just see no good reason to lock players out of spending money. It's bad for the players, and ultimately, it's bad for the developers.

The ships are $25 a pop, or 9 for $100. It's perfectly reasonable for someone new to the game with one character to want to buy a single $25 ship... and then a few months down the road he's hooked, has several alts, and wants the whole package... after all, it will still be cheaper to "re-purchase" the one he's bought than buy them individually. But, instead, PWE says, "screw you, buy them all individually." At best, to get the other 8 ships he can buy 2 bundles @ $50 each, and the other 2 ships at $25 each... so $150 for 8 ships, when everyone else that didn't support the game is still free to buy 9 for $100.

That's asinine. There's no good reason to be a jerk to your customer base like this.