Lt. Commander
# 1 Heat issue - please advise?
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
So anyway - for the purposes of STO, I went out yesterday and bought a Nvidia Geforce GTX275 1792mb edition - came home, installed it, fresh install of Windows, yada yada.

I get STO installed and running, plays fine for a few minutes (anywhere from 3-15) then BAM, computer restarts. So I check the usual culprits - memory, CPU heat, yada yada - all seems fine.

So onto the STO forums I come, only to find that people appear to have GPU overheating issues, and have a few solutions. So I try them. I force vsync on both in STO and via Nvidia control panel. I edit the config file to maxfps at 60 (though vsync is basically doing this anyway). I tried every manner of configuration of display settings, to no avail. I tried 195.62 yesterday, the new nvidia drivers today, and even the 190 recommended drivers. Nothing helps. Downloaded Nvidia tools and forced my fan to run at 100% too. Still didn't help.

I really want to buy this game - I do enjoy it (plays OK on my laptop, though crashes on away missions.. ATI bug apparently) - but I'm extremely disappointed and perturbed that I can't get a decent session out of it.

I'd usually be loathe to blame a game for overheating issues, but I've tried everything. It's a brand new card in a cleaned-out PC, but I still went and made sure no dust had accumulated overnight, made sure the heatsink and whatnot were connected properly on the graphics card, etc.

What gives? What to do? Any further help would be appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out here.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2010, 06:59 PM
how hot does your gfx get? what other pc parts do you have? what psu? does other games/stress testing apps also crash etc?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
I have seen by the boards that people are having problems but I would post your PSU as you have upgraded to a powerful card and of course you need to supply the card enough power.

I am not saying this is this issue as like I said have seen others with this problem ,it is just that you have upgraded the card that I ask.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Not sure on EXACTLY how hot the gfx gets - I run fullscreen, but I occasionally tab out - within a minute of loading STO, it's up past 70 celsius. Which isn't all that hot, but that's still while on loading screen. It's when in space/ground combat that it restarts.

As to my PSU - it's an Antec Truepower 750w. So more than adequate.

Edit: Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4gb DDR2, 500gb HDD - nothing too intensive, or power-hungry.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Nothing?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I always monitor my temps while gaming and I can tell you that my game sometimes crashes when the heat goes over 70 degrees celsius. I have 2 case fans (1 in towards the graphics card and 1 out throuugh the back). I also have a PCI inserted fan to exhaust more heat out (kinda helps I guess) and have my GTX 260 set to increase its own fan to prevent the temperature from going over 68-70. May I suggest you install NVIDIA Rivatuner or find the software that came with your graphics card to tweak with the fan settings.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Nvidia Cards
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Nvidia cards will run anywhere from 70-90 degrees happily.

I currently run two 9800GTX cards in SLI, and they reach well over 80 on a hot day.

If you are experiencing this level of instability it won't be due to the game. Check to ensure all of your nvidia drivers are up-to-date as occasionally they put the wrong fan settings into the drivers.

Also, make sure your case has good air-flow. Putting a powerful graphics card into a case with only the power supply fan venting air out and nothing blowing air in can generally cause your internal case temperatures to get too hot to properly cool your video card.

I would recommend downloading and installing OCCT. If your computer supports the "power supply" test then run it for a full hour. If your computer can maintain stability great, but it doesn't sound like it can.

If you need any further advice please feel free to message me privately and I can assist you in tracking down your issue.

I had a minor lockup/restart issue after building my system, but playing around with RAM timings and voltages ironed it out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
With the new drivers riviatunner won't work.. It won't recognize the 196. drivers.

Heres one thing I would check. have the side of your case off and visually verify that the GPU fan is really spinning up and not sticking.

There was a bug last year reported on XFX forums concerning a gpu bios that had problems with the fan control. (this even affected my BFG 9800gtx that used the same bios just renamed) Burnned up my card because of it, thankfully it was under warrenty still and they replaced it.

Also it sounds like your case is not getting enough air flow (turn your case fans to 100% in the bios) and see if that helps.

The only other thing that i can think of that might cause this is if at the factory they didn't put any thermal paste between the GPU and heatsink. (this happened on my XFX 680I lt mb on the northbridge chipset over a year ago. (had it one day and had to rma the board)

laters and good luck