Career Officer
# 1 Dilithium Refining
03-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Dilithium is, as the Devs have said, THE currency in STO. However, Dilithium only has value when it is refined. You can only refine 8000 daily, 500 at the mine and another 1000 every two days on Rom Command or at the academies. You can earn limitless ore but only refine 18000 every 2 days. Most everything you buy with Dil is 15000ea. So essentially you canbuy an item every other day.

Additionally you can buy and sell this in game ccurrency for RL money. I imagine this is where STO makes a vast majority of its income which IMO only compounds the issue at hand.

However, what if refiners were available around the Galaxy?

The 2 day mission time is too long and it should be 25hrs. Then like the fleet mine there should be processing stations around that anyone could go refine more of their Dil.

I would propose these refineries each be usable per day and refine 250 ore each. This keeps the fleetmine DOff mmission useful. Dil refineries should be located in Orilius sector, Sirius Sector, Omega Lionis sector, Eta Eridani sector, Tau Dewa sector and Beta Usea.

This would only give you an additional 1500 per day if you go to each station. Not to much to offset the value in the market and it would mean players have to travel to get it making it earned. Every little bit could help.
Career Officer
# 2
03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Did I forget to say opinions welcomed?
Captain
# 3
03-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Dil was put in to slow players down from getting the max gear. Same reason the rep grind is there and SB grind is there. Otherwise it would be a race to uber gear and then more complaints about end game content. It is time sink nothing more.
Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up
Captain
# 4
03-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Hi there, newbie here for both MMO's and STO...

I cannot say much about end game content since I more or less abandoned the mains story at around mission 15 and just did "other stuff" since then. Currently at max level.

From a business point of view, the daily limitation on dilithium refining (8,000 in general / 9,000 for vets) a way for Cryptic to generate real money which they need in order to not only maintain the game ('cuz servers, employees, other fixed expenses cost real money). For those people who are too impatient so slowly grind away on dilithium, then there's the option to buy refined dilithium using Zen.

To the best of my knowledge there are only two ways of getting Zen (other than free Zen from taking those stupid online marketing surveys):

1. Using refined dilithium - Not an option if you are trying to build up your stock pile of refined dilithium.

2. Using real money to buy Zen so that you can buy refined dilithium.

Superficially speaking, increasing the refining cap it great for players since they can do whatever they want to do sooner with that stuff. However, that can ultimately mean Cryptic is earning less money to keep STO up and running. Not to mention adding new content. If STO does not make enough money for Cryptic (and ultimately PWI), then that simply means STO will end up being shut down so that resources can then be used to develop other MMOs that would bring in more real money for Cryptic.
Career Officer
# 5
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarskx View Post
Hi there, newbie here for both MMO's and STO...

I cannot say much about end game content since I more or less abandoned the mains story at around mission 15 and just did "other stuff" since then. Currently at max level.

From a business point of view, the daily limitation on dilithium refining (8,000 in general / 9,000 for vets) a way for Cryptic to generate real money which they need in order to not only maintain the game ('cuz servers, employees, other fixed expenses cost real money). For those people who are too impatient so slowly grind away on dilithium, then there's the option to buy refined dilithium using Zen.

To the best of my knowledge there are only two ways of getting Zen (other than free Zen from taking those stupid online marketing surveys):

1. Using refined dilithium - Not an option if you are trying to build up your stock pile of refined dilithium.

2. Using real money to buy Zen so that you can buy refined dilithium.

Superficially speaking, increasing the refining cap it great for players since they can do whatever they want to do sooner with that stuff. However, that can ultimately mean Cryptic is earning less money to keep STO up and running. Not to mention adding new content. If STO does not make enough money for Cryptic (and ultimately PWI), then that simply means STO will end up being shut down so that resources can then be used to develop other MMOs that would bring in more real money for Cryptic.
I agree this method is a great assest to Cryptic and affiliates in earning income, however it is not 9000 daily for Vets. The 1000 Dil refining DOff mission for Vets takes 2 days to complete. The 500 Dil refining at Fleet Mines takes 20 seconds to complete.

I assume this 500 Fleet Dil refining is due in part to the massive Refined Dil needed for Fleet projects.

8000 Daily for every player

500 Daily w/access to Fleet Mine Refining

1000 Every other day for Vets

What I propose here is that every player has access to an additional 1500 daily

250 at Dilithium Mine in Beta Ursae sector block
250 at Dilithium Refinery in Orellius block
250 at Dilithium Refinery in Eta Eridani sector block
250 in Federation space at Dilithium Refinery in Sirius sector block
250 in Klingon space at Dilithium Refinery in Omega Leonis sector block
250 in Romulan space at Dilithium Refinery in Tau Dewa sector block
1500 Total

I know I have earned as much as 89000 Dilithium Ore in a single day, so essentially I could not earn anymore for 10 days in order to refine it.

Many people probably don't even earn thier daily 8000 to refine and the refineries would go unused by many players but I think many would welcome an extra 1500 daily refined Dilithium even if it means they have to travel the galaxy to get it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-14-2014, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragamites View Post
I agree this method is a great assest to Cryptic and affiliates in earning income, however it is not 9000 daily for Vets. The 1000 Dil refining DOff mission for Vets takes 2 days to complete. The 500 Dil refining at Fleet Mines takes 20 seconds to complete.

I assume this 500 Fleet Dil refining is due in part to the massive Refined Dil needed for Fleet projects.

8000 Daily for every player

500 Daily w/access to Fleet Mine Refining

1000 Every other day for Vets

What I propose here is that every player has access to an additional 1500 daily

250 at Dilithium Mine in Beta Ursae sector block
250 at Dilithium Refinery in Orellius block
250 at Dilithium Refinery in Eta Eridani sector block
250 in Federation space at Dilithium Refinery in Sirius sector block
250 in Klingon space at Dilithium Refinery in Omega Leonis sector block
250 in Romulan space at Dilithium Refinery in Tau Dewa sector block
1500 Total

I know I have earned as much as 89000 Dilithium Ore in a single day, so essentially I could not earn anymore for 10 days in order to refine it.

Many people probably don't even earn thier daily 8000 to refine and the refineries would go unused by many players but I think many would welcome an extra 1500 daily refined Dilithium even if it means they have to travel the galaxy to get it.
how about you make one more character and spend 5min. more in the game to get dilitium you are after. sound to me that this is much simpler then for cryptic to change whole gameplay just so you could get 1500 dilitium more a day.
https://imgflip.com/gif/bm5yq
Captain
# 7
10-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Play more toons. Focus on upgrading one at a time.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
# 8
10-14-2014, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragamites View Post
Dilithium is, as the Devs have said, THE currency in STO. However, Dilithium only has value when it is refined. You can only refine 8000 daily, 500 at the mine and another 1000 every two days on Rom Command or at the academies. You can earn almost limitless ore (as there is a 10mill limit), but only refine 18000 every 2 days. Most everything you buy with Dil is 15000ea. So essentially you canbuy an item every other day.

Additionally you can buy and sell this in game ccurrency for RL money. I imagine this is where STO makes a vast majority of its income which IMO only compounds the issue at hand.

However, what if refiners were available around the Galaxy?

The 2 day mission time is too long and it should be 25hrs. Then like the fleet mine there should be processing stations around that anyone could go refine more of their Dil.

I would propose these refineries each be usable per day and refine 250 ore each. This keeps the fleetmine DOff mmission useful. Dil refineries should be located in Orilius sector, Sirius Sector, Omega Lionis sector, Eta Eridani sector, Tau Dewa sector and Beta Usea.

This would only give you an additional 1500 per day if you go to each station. Not to much to offset the value in the market and it would mean players have to travel to get it making it earned. Every little bit could help.
There you go, fixed that for you.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Career Officer
# 9
10-14-2014, 02:29 AM
there is a simple solution to your problem, make sure what ever you do dont earn more then 18000 every 2 days.
there have been so many 'can we refine more dilithium in some way' type threads over the last month i have lost count, when will people realise that cryptic put the cap there for a reason, it is fundimentle to their income and what ever else they may change they will never change the dilithium refine cap.

even what you have suggested though it sounds reasonable at first glance could totally alter the flow of money into the game in a very bad way.
Quote:
When I think about everything we've been through together, maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey, and if that journey takes a little longer, so we can do something we all believe in, I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
10-14-2014, 03:27 AM
I make between 10 and 20k Dilithium per day, spread across 3 chars that I regularly play.

All of that is refined immediately, which I can then turn into 460 - 930 Zen per week, depending on exchange rates.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Sci Vulcan (Maelrock) Tac Andorian (Shen) Rom/KDF: Sci (Mervek)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day