Lt. Commander
# 1 how long b4 sto downloads 5gb?
01-20-2010, 05:21 AM
hi all,i am looing forward to playing sto and i will only be able to use mobile broadband here in the uk.
the company i will use offers 7.2 mb download but unfortunately after i have used 5gb download they will slow my acess to just 56k.
can anyone help me figure out how far i might get into the month on 5gb or how much download is used in an average hour of active gameplay.
any kind of guess about how quickly my 5gb might get used up.
lets say per hour of play.
dont worry about how many hours i might play.
thankyou
Lorcis
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2010, 05:33 AM
best thing you can do here is get something like this >>

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemeter/

<<

and measure how much you use in 1 hour. Then add a bit of math and you will see how long your 5G will last.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Some time ago i had a UMTS connection to the internet with 5 GB capacity and i was playing Lord of the Rings Online and also some shooters which took more bandwith per hour. At first i also was in trouble about my limited 5 GB of traffic.
If i remember correctly i played about 6 hours of LOTRO and produced traffic of approx. 250 MB and by the way i also used Teamspeak. In reference to my experience in my way of timecapacity for gameplay it was enough to play at anytime i was able to.

5000 MB / 30 Days = ca. 166 MB per Day = ca. 4 hours of gaming a day
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Actual gameplay shouldn't be a problem, I would guess that would give you about 3-6 days of playtime (which works out to about 2-4 hours a day). That doesn't leave much room for patching though, and especially soon after launch we will likely be patching often. The usual target for each patch is 100-200MB, but we have had 2GB patches before (not saying we will again, but you never know). Can you use a library connection or something when you need to patch the game? That won't help much at first, but as we hit a more stable patching schedule it would be something at least.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2010, 10:37 AM
if i had a 5gb download cap i would commit suicide!!! ahh!!! you poor poor child! Stat someone get me some fiber optics or were gonna lose him!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM
PS. My monthly download usually hits about 1TB with my upload just above or below it
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Perhaps it's time to switch to a competant ISP.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
i am currently on mobile broadband here in the uk and am playing the beta with it, i would say i have played about 8hours in the last 2 days and maybe used 400mb at the absolute most, this is using mumble/vent with it so it should go pretty far if you have 5GB. as other posters have said patched are going to be the limiting factor
Lt. Commander
thanks everyone,i will be moving to a place where fibre optic is not available and i wont have a landline,that leaves mobile broadband,the best i found was vodafone uk london advertising 7.2mb down and unlimited usage,in thier very small small print it said,5gb fair usage policy applies.
i told them it is supposed to be unlimited and they said it is,i can have all i want,only after 5gb they slow down my access to 56k.
the other comapnies have even lower limits and mostly slower speeds.
i have waited since star trek legacy for this game,i hope i can play it.