Ensign
Hey everybody, i've got this question for the pro's out there...
How do i calculate the real final bonus that results from all my "+X% plasma weapon dmg" ?
I do know that you don't end up with like 120% Bonus for 4 purple mk12 consoles.
At least thats one of the many versions that i've heared from other players.
But anyway... How much Bonus DO i get?
Captain
# 2
03-03-2014, 09:24 PM
There are no diminishing returns on tac consoles, sort of.

Basically, say your weapon does 100 damage. Then you have 5 consoles which add 20% damage, it comes out to 200 damage. Each just adds 20% base damage and stacks.

If you hear someone say damage consoles do have diminishing returns, this is what they mean:

So the first console returns +20% damage at 120 total -> 2nd +16.7% at 140 -> 3rd +14.3% at +160 -> 4th +12.5% at 180 -> 5th +11.1% at 200.

Each console does technically boost by less damage than the previous one.

However, if you're going to be that particular about such things, you're probably a min/maxer and you're using energy weapons only and one type only. So it's a mute point.
44th Fleet/44th Assault Squadron
Captain
# 3
03-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Each tac console of the same type, mark, and rarity adds the same amount of damage; in other words, the damage output of the weapon varies linearly with the number of tac consoles. The exact amount of damage added depends on the base damage of the weapon (this is not shown in the UI in most cases) and your weapon power.

Here is an example:

Starship Weapons Training: 129
Starship Energy Weapon Training: 99
Weapon Power: 122
Up to 3 blue Mk XI phaser relays

Let N denote the number of phaser relays and D denote the damage output by the beam array. The increase in D per additional console is shown in round parentheses below.

Phaser Beam Array Mk I
N = 0, D = 549.6
N = 1, D = 614 (+64.4)
N = 2, D = 678.4 (+64.4)
N = 3, D = 742.7 (+64.3)

Phaser Beam Array Mk XI [Acc]x3
N = 0, D = 818.2
N = 1, D = 882.6 (+64.4)
N = 2, D = 947 (+64.4)
N = 3, D = 1011.3 (+64.3)

For further details, see the posts below:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=170
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=172
Republic Veteran
# 4
03-03-2014, 10:53 PM
imagine if the damage mod of weapons actually added to base rather then on top. Then I'm sure people would find this mod more desirable.

But yah they add the same exact damage % of each console to each weapon, based on the base damage of said weapon. Thous linear progression. The only other thing is other damage bonuses add theirs on top rather then from the base, like cloak ambush.
Captain
# 5
03-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkeeper0 View Post
imagine if the damage mod of weapons actually added to base rather then on top. Then I'm sure people would find this mod more desirable.

But yah they add the same exact damage % of each console to each weapon, based on the base damage of said weapon. Thous linear progression. The only other thing is other damage bonuses add theirs on top rather then from the base, like cloak ambush.
mmh? Flat damage is always better than base damage. A 10% basedamage-increase it negletible, a 10% Flatdamage-increase is very powerful.
Thats why, for example, EptW does more damage-increase than a MK XII purple tac console. And if I remember correctly, dmg adds only 5% to base, not to top.
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...
Ensign
# 6
03-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Okay... I think i got it.
Thanks to all of you guys
Republic Veteran
# 7
03-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwhity View Post
mmh? Flat damage is always better than base damage. A 10% basedamage-increase it negletible, a 10% Flatdamage-increase is very powerful.
Thats why, for example, EptW does more damage-increase than a MK XII purple tac console. And if I remember correctly, dmg adds only 5% to base, not to top.
If it added to base damage, then Tac consoles would give larger bonuses to overall damage so instead of it being just tacked on damage that isn't calculated into the extra damage percentage of the Tac consoles.

It honestly depends on how you calculate the damage. Instead damage mods are calculated at the same level as Tac consoles.

I might be wrong but, from my experience that's what happens, its doesn't actually change the base damage just adds it a tac console stage like this.

(Base damage * Tac consoles/damage mods/ skills) (Attack pattern omega and ambush)

That's basic rep of the math at work, if it were like this it would be alot different.

((base damage*damage mod)* tac consoles etc) Attack pattern omega etc.
Captain
# 8
03-04-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm not even sure what you guys mean by "base damage" and "flat damage". The usual definition for "base damage" is the unmodified damage of a common standard (Mk 0) version of the weapon. Base damage depends only on weapon type (e.g., beam array, turret, etc.); it does not depend on mark, rarity, or weapon modifiers. For this reason, you will almost never see the base damage listed in the game's tooltips.

The base damage of various weapon types can be found here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=172

An explanation of the math behind various damage bonuses can be found here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=170

A longer discussion can be found here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1033481