Lt. Commander
# 11
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CainRae
Hi there! I'v been playing STO on my stationary computer for the last several days and decided to give it a spin on my new laptop, out from the specs i would think ( I'm definatly no expert on the subject) that i would be able to run it on a pretty high end, but the game pretty much lags unless the graphics are set to low.

My laptop is a HP Pavillion dv7;

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
4 Gigabytes of Ram
Intel Core Duo P7550 2.6 GHZ, 2.27 GHZ
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Thanks ahead!
-Cain
everything is good, except your graphics card isn't the fastest thing around... but it should be fast enough for this. May laptop has similar specs, but a better GPU (Geforce 9600GT), and it runs fantastic, even pumping stuff up past 100%... I put view distances and a lot of stuff on Max. I'd suspect that default settings would play decently on that machine if its properly built for long term heat dissipation. A lot of laptops are not designed as gaming machines, or to do anything that creates a lot of heat for several hours, and can have problems, or get too hot and downclock their processors automatcally.... your best bet is to just try it out and see what happens, it shouldn't hurt anything to try.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I play on a sony vaio laptop, gets a bit hot, default settings with widescreen aspect. Only time I had crashes is when I tried to limit FPS with /maxfps command line option. The game seems to runs smoothly on this low/middle range laptop card, havent tried to jack up the settings, since the heat output is quite noticible.

Intel dual core 2.26Ghz P8400
Vista
2GB memory
ATI Radeon mobility 3400 series driver version 8.474.0.0
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Like any new game, most issues with it are usually solvable just by updating the drivers. The card itself should work great, and the newest version of Catalyst works just fine with the game minus the AA issue (which I will gladly take over the "studdering" issue the Nvidia guys are having )

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
everything is good, except your graphics card isn't the fastest thing around... but it should be fast enough for this. May laptop has similar specs, but a better GPU (Geforce 9600GT), and it runs fantastic, even pumping stuff up past 100%... I put view distances and a lot of stuff on Max. I'd suspect that default settings would play decently on that machine if its properly built for long term heat dissipation. A lot of laptops are not designed as gaming machines, or to do anything that creates a lot of heat for several hours, and can have problems, or get too hot and downclock their processors automatcally.... your best bet is to just try it out and see what happens, it shouldn't hurt anything to try.
Actually the Mobility Radeon HD 4650 is much faster than the Geforce 9600M GT. In fact, if you look at the actual game benchmarks at Notebook Check, the 4650 actually outperforms the Geforce 9700M GTS. It's a very, very fast GPU, especially for the price, though, granted, it's not as fast if not paired with GDDR3, but that's true of all mobile GPUs, most of which are sometimes paired with ordinary DDR3 or DDR2 to reduce prices.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CainRae
My laptop is a HP Pavillion dv7;

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
4 Gigabytes of Ram
Intel Core Duo P7550 2.6 GHZ, 2.27 GHZ
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Thanks ahead!
-Cain
Those are pretty good specs for a laptop. You should have no issues with the game.