Lt. Commander
# 11
01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
As for Furmark, it stresses the GPU(s) to about 98-99%, which means it works as well as Prime95 does for the CPU. It renders a lot of fur the way Ati tool does to generate heat/load, only it renders an even more obscene image (in terms of required processing power, that is ), and works great to test hardware. No program will ever pass Furmark for GPU load. In fact, that program gets my GPUs up to almost 90C, while Crysis/3dmark/STO will only ever get them up to the low 60s (65 max), and it does it for both of them, too.
Yup, it looks like a good package. ATI Tool can max GPUs too, as it's not capped on framerate, so it's fuzzy cube processes thousands of frames per second on top end GPUs. Still 100% usage of the GPU. But ATI Tool isn't designed to do "torture tests" per say, it's just designed to confirm overclocks, etc. FurMark looks like a better design for GPU torture testing.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
A long time ago when I used to work on aircraft, we had this saying:

"If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway."

Put that PC's feet to the fire and if something does fail critically then you know what the culprit is, as the weakest link will usually rear it's ugly head quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulda View Post
A long time ago when I used to work on aircraft, we had this saying:

"If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway."

Put that PC's feet to the fire and if something does fail critically then you know what the culprit is, as the weakest link will usually rear it's ugly head quickly.
Exactly

Again, too, PCs have failsafes built in, so a critical failure will only be a BSOD, lockup, or reboot, as opposed to, say, a giant flame coming out of your computer
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
(...) as opposed to, say, a giant flame coming out of your computer
Now you're cooking. My rig runs on flames... I need some sort of vapor to cool down my Core i7.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Liquid cooling is your friend.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulda View Post
Liquid cooling is your friend.
Hmmm.. let's try nitroglycerin.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Ran Furmark for about 4-5 mins. Seemed to be okay, no rebooting, no artefacts.

SpeedFan reports my voltage averages as:

Vcore: 1.13V
+12V: 11.56V
AVcc: 3.31V
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFN View Post
Ran Furmark for about 4-5 mins. Seemed to be okay, no rebooting, no artefacts.

SpeedFan reports my voltage averages as:

Vcore: 1.13V
+12V: 11.56V
AVcc: 3.31V
Those are very solid. The 3.3v rail is above spec even under load for you (it doesn't vary that much anyways), and 11.5v on the 12v rail is still 96% of optimum voltage, which under load is very good. My general rule is that your in trouble with power if you get below 10.5 on the 12v rail. As for Vcore, I can't comment, as that's different for every machine, but as long as Prime95 says your stable if you run it, you're doing just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-20-2010, 09:27 PM
If your having this problem what the solution another guy came up with was to do /maxfps 30 or whatever number you want. there is no frame rate cap in this game which for some gpu's is like a horse running itself to death. I had this problem and i do /maxfps 20 and i see no diff in the gameplay so its great game looks and plays the same so i hope this helps.

BTW to many of us are having this problem so it is NOT a cooling issue, my gpu fan works and never gets hot in other games donno why but this one with no fps cap just kills it.

Hope this fixes the issue they really need to sticky it as a possible solution btw you WILL have to do this every time you relaunch the game as it doesnt save the fps cap you set for some reason.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks, JToney3449, for letting me know people have the same problem as well. Misery loves company.

So people are rebooting for no apparent reason?

Quote:
Those are very solid. The 3.3v rail is above spec even under load for you (it doesn't vary that much anyways), and 11.5v on the 12v rail is still 96% of optimum voltage, which under load is very good. My general rule is that your in trouble with power if you get below 10.5 on the 12v rail. As for Vcore, I can't comment, as that's different for every machine, but as long as Prime95 says your stable if you run it, you're doing just fine.
That was actually after I shut off Furmark

I ran Furmark for a bit longer this time, and it while the other values were the sale, the 12v rail was steady at 11.46V throughout. The card was reported to be 76C, which I believe is well within the tolerance of an 8800GT.