Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I did the Step beyond the stars mission three times so have the Solonae set which I'm going to leave on my free 4th anniversary Dyson Destroyer and I'm now currently crafting the Aegis set from Memory Alpha which I'm going to put on my Vice Admiral ship.

Turning now to the reputation missions I've started the New Romulus storyline first as that was the first one I stumbled across but I notice there are another three, are you supposed to do them in a set order so that you don't become too powerful too quickly?

I would hate to get all the way to the end of the New Romulan story only to find that I've now got the best set of ship devices in the game and there's no point doing the other three storylines, do the devices get better in order or is each set so completely different from each other that it doesn't matter which order you do them in?
Commander
# 2
03-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Too powerful - most people look for the easiest way through them. The one with the best variation in good ground and space gear is the borg/omega one, also the omega marks are easily obtained in the space elite STF Conduit and Vortex, so the standard advice is do that one first.

Dyson marks are easily obtained in large bunches in the ground battlezone; rom by the epohh tagging, which takes weeks to get through as you're only allowed to do one run per day; nukara in crystalline elite.

The problem with doing all at once is a new toon will run out of XP and/or EC, additional toons can have a sponsorship token that halves the cost iff you have an account bank( 1000 zen). If you plan on kitting out a ship with rom plasma weapons you might want to do that first.
Career Officer
# 3
03-09-2014, 10:07 PM
If you look under the Episodes they pretty much are in order of how you'd get them as you level up. Starts with the Klingon arc and ends w/ the Dyson mission. Each set is, for the most part, separate stories so you don't have to do KDF before Cardassian, for example.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2014, 10:19 PM
The short answer is that there is no order.

All of the XII rep gear is considered endgame rewards (although some is better than others). Pick the space set that matches your goals and skill tree. Do you want to squeeze every point of DPS out of your ship? Is your ship a healer? tank? ect. Having multiple sets is great With the new loadout system. For example, I use the Jem'Hadar set with polaron weapons and Klingon Honor Guard/Adapted Honor Guard with a torp heavy ship. So the long answer is how you use the sets makes them better or worse than each other.

Also, there is no such thing as becoming too powerful too quickly . But you can always change the difficulty level if you are plowing through content and want a challenge.

Check out my two part fed foundry mission series "Requiem for a Dream". Both parts qualify for dilithium rewards.
Captain
# 5
03-09-2014, 10:25 PM
The "best" set for your ship probably depends on your build...

For example, Adapted MACO / KHG from the Omega rep chain is great for control Science people. the Omega set from Omega rep is good for shield drainers as it essentially adds a tetryon proc to all your weapons. The new Dyson Sci-royers really love the Solanae set. Plasma builds almost need a Romulan set. Etc. Etc.

Therefore, you might want to poke around and figure out what set you need to get you going on your build, then focus on running that rep...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Storywise the romulan reputation is chronologically set before than the dyson reputation, and I guess the Omega rep is set before than romulan rep, maybe shortly after the cardassian episodes. I have no idea where the nukara rep fits the storyline.

On the other hand the dyson reputation is supposed to be friendliest for newcomers, since you don't need to buy consumables, and doesn't need too much xp.

But if you don't care about the storyline, as other people said, you can do in any order you want, read a bit about the gear you can get from each rep, and pick the rep with the gear you think is more useful for your playstyle.
In every time,
in every place,
the deeds of men
remain the same...
Career Officer
# 7
03-10-2014, 01:10 AM
the order they were introduced is

borg/omega

tholian

romulan

dyson.

but there are events and stories in several of the arcs that sort of intertwine. i would go with what ever fits your play style (weapons, as well as what you like to do the best ie. cc, tank, heal, kill) all the sets have their strengths and weaknesses.
Captain
# 8
03-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserkacto View Post
On the other hand the dyson reputation is supposed to be friendliest for newcomers, since you don't need to buy consumables, and doesn't need too much xp.
Romulan Rep is friendliest to newcomers, because it requires no combat or equipment whatsoever. Every other rep requires that you have a passably equipped character or ship, although Dyson can be done with just a gun. But Romulan doesn't even require that you have a gun, as you can progress through the entire rep without a shot fired, so you don't need to have a ship, or a weapon at all. This makes the entry barrier much lower than other reps, which require that you be armed or flying something other than your Miranda.
Captain
# 9
03-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggermoon View Post
the order they were introduced is

borg/omega

tholian

romulan

dyson.

but there are events and stories in several of the arcs that sort of intertwine. i would go with what ever fits your play style (weapons, as well as what you like to do the best ie. cc, tank, heal, kill) all the sets have their strengths and weaknesses.
I thought the romulan and Omega reps came out at the same time in the start. Tholian was released with legacy of romulus. Nukara did come out with season 6 but the rep was after the romulan one.

Harden up Princess
Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
www.ausmonauts.com
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
03-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Romulan Rep is friendliest to newcomers, because it requires no combat or equipment whatsoever. Every other rep requires that you have a passably equipped character or ship, although Dyson can be done with just a gun. But Romulan doesn't even require that you have a gun, as you can progress through the entire rep without a shot fired, so you don't need to have a ship, or a weapon at all. This makes the entry barrier much lower than other reps, which require that you be armed or flying something other than your Miranda.
On the other hand dyson rep requires a lot less energy credits and XP, if you are a newcomer most likely you are not going to have them. so even if you don't need a gun for grinding marks, you will need at least an averge build for farming energy credits and XP

Also if you are a newcomer you might find the mark grinding frustrating, sure, you can get them easily by breeding epohhs, but that takes a few days, and the rewards from the queues don't worth the effort, so even if it's the easiest, is not the friendlier, not for a newcomer anyway
In every time,
in every place,
the deeds of men
remain the same...