Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
When the new hangar pet user interface in the HUD was announced, players asked about the Galaxy class saucers getting their own UI HUD. The answer was no. I don't remember if a reason was given other then "No".

For a while players had requested it. So I'm going to put out another request for it.

The damned saucer is hard to keep track of, mainly because it prefers to wander around aimlessly on its own, but when it is actually doing something a UI would make things easier to heal it and recover its shields like we can with hangar pets.

Edit: To be honest the separated saucer needs major AI improvements also.

Last edited by monkeybone13; 03-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Captain
# 2
03-09-2014, 07:31 PM
I would say this is true for separated parts in general, not just with the Galaxy saucer, but also with Odyssey Aquarius and Chervon, MVAEs separated parts, the Klingon Bortasque's separated Attack Craft and the Romulan Haapax and Hakonas separated ships.
The AI on these parts are ridiculous, once you cut them loose you have no control over what they do or where they go, they're fine if you are only fighting a single target, but in an area where targets are spread out and you are trying to concentrate in one area at a time, you often have your detached part wandering off, aggroing a group you didn't want to deal with yet and your only options are to throw heals at it and hope for the best, let it get itself destroyed or call it back to reattach, you can't even direct it to attack or assist your target.
The whole point of having these functions was not merely to be able to say "Oh lookey my ship can separate just like on TV". It was to have a functional asset in battle. As it is I feel like Robin Williams in Robots with his head on the floor looking at his body wondering off and saying "Hey Idiot. I'm over here!"
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Captain
# 3
03-09-2014, 07:37 PM
The AI needs to be fixed, I've noticed that my Ho'sus will use it's DHCs in it's alpha run, but then just circle afterwards using only it's turret.
They tend to die a lot, from various things like warp core breach and you can't see if they are dead or not so having a UI would help there. I would also like to set them between attack mode and recall when I don't want to aggro everything on the map.

Harden up Princess
Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
www.ausmonauts.com
Career Officer
# 4
03-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I would say this is true for separated parts in general, not just with the Galaxy saucer, but also with Odyssey Aquarius and Chervon, MVAEs separated parts, the Klingon Bortasque's separated Attack Craft and the Romulan Haapax and Hakonas separated ships.
The AI on these parts are ridiculous, once you cut them loose you have no control over what they do or where they go, they're fine if you are only fighting a single target, but in an area where targets are spread out and you are trying to concentrate in one area at a time, you often have your detached part wandering off, aggroing a group you didn't want to deal with yet and your only options are to throw heals at it and hope for the best, let it get itself destroyed or call it back to reattach, you can't even direct it to attack or assist your target.
The whole point of having these functions was not merely to be able to say "Oh lookey my ship can separate just like on TV". It was to have a functional asset in battle. As it is I feel like Robin Williams in Robots with his head on the floor looking at his body wondering off and saying "Hey Idiot. I'm over here!"
Good point about the other ships. I don't own any of them so I forgot, or didn't realize, they had separation abilities and such.

The problem I'm having is that after a while I notice my saucer isn't attacking anything. When this happens I think ti wandered off to the other side of the map, only find once the event is over and the last enemy ships fade out, oh look!, it's over there, DEAD!. Had I known it was taking heavy damage I would have healed it.

And that's another thing. I'm starting to not separate my saucer anymore because it gets killed to quickly.

I really think something needs to be done about these things. It's stupid to have it in game as nothing more than a gimmick. It has to be effective for it to be worth the price I payed to get the Dreadnaught Cruiser from the c-store, then a fleet ship module for it, as well as a fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit. And that's both on the same character. He has a fleet avenger battle cruiser too, which actually IS useful, instead of being just a gimmick.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
When I deploy my Aquarius/Ho'Sus I or use the Saucer Separation I set the pet as focus, that way I can see it's status and send over heals if needs be. I know it's not perfect by any means, but it does help an awful lot . If you don't know, you can set a target as your focus by clicking on the little pin icon to the left of the target box thing with it's shield/hull displayed.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Commander
# 6
03-09-2014, 09:06 PM
it would be extra helpful if the saucer just targeted whatever it is you have targeted so its serving as a distraction pulling a lil bit of the aggro away from yourself. also its quite weak in both power and hull/shields ..also a control like we get with hangar bay pets would rock.

Fix those things and you have a REAL DREADNAUGHT.
Captain
# 7
03-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufpterrell View Post
When I deploy my Aquarius/Ho'Sus I or use the Saucer Separation I set the pet as focus, that way I can see it's status and send over heals if needs be. I know it's not perfect by any means, but it does help an awful lot . If you don't know, you can set a target as your focus by clicking on the little pin icon to the left of the target box thing with it's shield/hull displayed.
I know about that but it only half works for the MVAE and it ties up the focus function, besides we shouldn't need it when when we have an existing carrier pet mechanism that could easily be used to give functionality to these separated parts, it isn't perfect by any means but we could at least put their random AI on a leash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownvic2door View Post
it would be extra helpful if the saucer just targeted whatever it is you have targeted so its serving as a distraction pulling a lil bit of the aggro away from yourself. also its quite weak in both power and hull/shields ..also a control like we get with hangar bay pets would rock.

Fix those things and you have a REAL DREADNAUGHT.
If the AI was locked into "Attack My Target" mode at least you wouldn't have to worry about it going too far and it would be far easier to keep track of, but I think it is deployed in "Intercept" mode so that it will automatically seek out the nearest threat, which isn't very helpful with the AI being dumb as a post, often diving into a fight even if it's health is near destruction.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Career Officer
# 8
03-10-2014, 01:23 AM
I wish it was set on defend, if I am attacked, it attacks.
=/\= Commodore Champion1701 =/\=

=/\=USS Lindsey Stirling =/\= NCC-116747 =/\=

=/\= Liberty Task Force =/\= Diplomatic Advisor =/\=
Captain
# 9
03-10-2014, 04:17 AM
I cannot proof what I'm about to say as it's a thing of the past, but I think if I remember correctly the reason for those pets not getting the Hangar UI was that hangar pets are supposed to be superior and seperation pets are only supposed to be a gimmick as you have to pay/work for the first or something like that.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Lieutenant
# 10
03-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Although I only own a Galaxy, I think this is a must.

+1