Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Captain
# 21
03-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Quote:
You dont need to do em in order. You can do em at the same time.
That's what I'd recommend.

Doing them one after another will just drag it out. If you do it right, you can run the big projects on each rep system each day, without more than 30 minutes of daily ingame time.
Commander
# 22
03-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
That's what I'd recommend.

Doing them one after another will just drag it out. If you do it right, you can run the big projects on each rep system each day, without more than 30 minutes of daily ingame time.
You're not gonna get enough dyson, romulan, nukara and omega marks in 30 minutes. A new player will find himself short on more than one mark and possibly short on expertise.
Riker has NO class
Ensign
# 23
03-13-2014, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uryenserellont View Post
You're not gonna get enough dyson, romulan, nukara and omega marks in 30 minutes. A new player will find himself short on more than one mark and possibly short on expertise.

Yes a new player will run out of exp trying to do all 4 at once... I've done this before and it's worked nicely:

Run nuk and rom at the same time: on Rom queue up an Azure Rescue (take Rom marks...), then do the sector patrol (am i the only person who perfers to do the Nequencia System trading over combat ones?), then a second azure if ready (take Rom marks again), then transwarp to K7, hop over to Nukara, queue up all available medium missions and a zone wide thinning,beam to bravo, complete the mediums, go back to base camp...

Result: 100-130 of each mark type... plus 10 fleet marks total time ~45-60 minutes. Thats almost enough to do 2 days each of the level grind rep tasks.... though you need the items which can get annoying if you don't have enough EC as an new player, but Azure and Nuk loot does sell decently enough that I've never had issues.

Also if you can always get the sponsorship token from a friend for whatever grind you are doing... save half the work!

You can also add in Eppoh tagging on New Romulus but i find that very frustrating and too long myself, yes it gives a nice payout in marks but I can get that many in far less time doing other things.

Red Alerts on New Rom can also be worth doing but they are hit and miss...

Once you are done Nuk and Rom, jump to Dyson or Omega, but only one at a time, just be aware that Omega is by far the slowest grind (ive done all 3 others in less time than Omega).

My other tips:
Grind all the way up before buying items... there's a bonus pool for getting to level 5 and that can instantly fill some of the item tasks.

Stay away from ground combat mission instances on New Rom... they are all hard, all give injuries, are long time wise and mostly give poor rewards. Especially stay away from the Warehouse mission in the staging area... who the heck designed that one!?

On nuk prime, the interior cave missions are a good way to nab a few extra marks if you have some time, but stay away from the hard level unless you have good anti-tholian gear.

AND Unless you are REALLY REALLY REALLY desperate for Dil, do not do any of the trade marks/item for Dil "upgrade" tasks... you will need those marks/items later guaranteed!

And when you are done all this you can start the worst grind of all... Fleet Marks

Last edited by northstardc4m; 03-13-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Quote:
I disagree. I have just hit lvl41 with my next toon and I have only just started the Romulan story line. The speed of leveling is insane in STO. But that also means, I have many many story missions before me which will provide all the expertise needed.
Career Officer
# 25
03-14-2014, 05:49 AM
I second the notion that the Dyson rep is the fastest way for a new player to get up to speed. Go into the ground battle zone, claim your missions from the NPC, then run around and find a group you can follow (it's easier when you're new if there's multiple people on a capture point). Remember to use your kit/captain powers, and use Aim (X) and Crouch (C) when appropriate, and you'll be fine. Good Voth antiproton guns are pretty cheap on the exchange (for now anyway), and are great for their bonus damage vs. Voth. This rep is also the prototype for the revamped reputation system, so the way it works is overall nicer and less time/resource intensive than the others. The sets you get, while possibly not optimal for every ship and play style, are at least adequate so they can get into Elite STFs and not explode. They have the advantage of being easy to earn. You can get something more appropriate later.

New Romulus is almost easy to the point of tedium. If you're really not feeling combat and want to just veg out and tag some epohhs and scan stuff, that's your rep. I've gotten my alts through it entirely on epohhs. You just have to be careful to make sure you're also doing something that will earn you Expertise, or you will bleed yourself dry of it. This is something that should be fixed when the other reps are revised to use the Dyson Rep's commendation mechanic.

Omega (Borg) is where you'll spend a lot of time. I don't know how many times I've done ISE among my characters. There are a lot of options for space and ground sets here, and they're all good. You'll have to work for them though, so it's best to have at least some decent gear before coming in, which Dyson can provide. New Romulus can get you a good set of guns too.

Nukara... ugh. The tedium. The poor efficiency of earning marks. The lack of rewards. Do this last, if at all.
Captain
# 26
03-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
I second the notion that the Dyson rep is the fastest way for a new player to get up to speed. Go into the ground battle zone, claim your missions from the NPC, then run around and find a group you can follow (it's easier when you're new if there's multiple people on a capture point). Remember to use your kit/captain powers, and use Aim (X) and Crouch (C) when appropriate, and you'll be fine. Good Voth antiproton guns are pretty cheap on the exchange (for now anyway), and are great for their bonus damage vs. Voth. This rep is also the prototype for the revamped reputation system, so the way it works is overall nicer and less time/resource intensive than the others. The sets you get, while possibly not optimal for every ship and play style, are at least adequate so they can get into Elite STFs and not explode. They have the advantage of being easy to earn. You can get something more appropriate later.

New Romulus is almost easy to the point of tedium. If you're really not feeling combat and want to just veg out and tag some epohhs and scan stuff, that's your rep. I've gotten my alts through it entirely on epohhs. You just have to be careful to make sure you're also doing something that will earn you Expertise, or you will bleed yourself dry of it. This is something that should be fixed when the other reps are revised to use the Dyson Rep's commendation mechanic.

Omega (Borg) is where you'll spend a lot of time. I don't know how many times I've done ISE among my characters. There are a lot of options for space and ground sets here, and they're all good. You'll have to work for them though, so it's best to have at least some decent gear before coming in, which Dyson can provide. New Romulus can get you a good set of guns too.

Nukara... ugh. The tedium. The poor efficiency of earning marks. The lack of rewards. Do this last, if at all.
1. You dont need to use AIM mode on the battlezone, in fact, its NOT recommended.

2. You dont need special anti - voth weapons, any XI or XII weapon will sufice. In the case of science captains or engineers, anti-voth weapons are more useful, but in the case of tactical captains, there is absolutely no need of an anti-voth weapon.

3. You dont need reputation or fleet equipment to do elite STFS, any decent XII wear will sufice. Of course as always, better equpiment helps, but it is not NECESSARY, on the contrary a lot of people says. Its something similar about PVP, it doesnt matter what equipment you wear, you can be destroyed in 2 seconds even if you have the best shields of the universe.

4. Again, there will be no FIX about exp issues. Everything is just fine about earning experience. This game works as any other games, if you want to earn exp points, you need to do something else, no get stucked in the reputation zones. If you want to farm dilithium and dyson reputation, yes , stuck to the battlezone, but if you want experience, you cant do that all the time. Its that simple. And its exactly the same as other games. In other games, experience is gained doing a variety of things, that gives you exp, the same applies to STO.

5. Nukara is the FASTEST reputation system to complete. You can earn about 200-300 nukara marks in a short time (1 hour or so) just doing the easy/medium missions on Nukara prime. Thats the first reputation i completed, i was amazed on how fast it went, but in the end, this is intended, since the Nukara reputation system is maybe the weakest one in terms of equipment.

6. Defera and omega reputation, on the opposite, its ideal to earn experience + omega marks, since there are 2 or 3 missions on Defera invasion zone that gives you ONLY expereience points and cant be repeated a few times a long the day.

Last edited by edgecrysger; 03-14-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Commander
# 27
03-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by embrosil View Post
I disagree. I have just hit lvl41 with my next toon and I have only just started the Romulan story line. The speed of leveling is insane in STO. But that also means, I have many many story missions before me which will provide all the expertise needed.
It might not provide enough. It depends on how much you play each day. People have hundreds of thousands if not millions of excess expertise, but at the same time if you're progressing an alt through the rep system and don't play him a lot or do doff missions you might run short on expertise. I actually ran short myself on an alt I didn't play enough.

It's marks that are the real problem. In 30 minutes you will not earn enough marks to do all eight daily reputation missions. Maybe if you're tier 0 or tier 1 in all you might be able to, maybe.
Riker has NO class
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-14-2014, 07:29 AM
no order

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=590121

For the very best online gaming experience on star trek online. Join Task Force Spectre

http://youtu.be/a6qPTWoh3fM
Captain
# 29
03-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Quote:
It might not provide enough. It depends on how much you play each day. People have hundreds of thousands if not millions of excess expertise, but at the same time if you're progressing an alt through the rep system and don't play him a lot or do doff missions you might run short on expertise. I actually ran short myself on an alt I didn't play enough.

It's marks that are the real problem. In 30 minutes you will not earn enough marks to do all eight daily reputation missions. Maybe if you're tier 0 or tier 1 in all you might be able to, maybe.
This is a problem. I posted a thread long time ago, but its the way it is. STO is designed for players that spent several hours playing the game almost every day. If you are not in this case, but you are not in a hurry, you can just play the game step by step. It doesnt matter how much time it takes you to gather all the mark you want. But yes, of course in STO the more valuable currency is TIME.
Career Officer
# 30
03-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
1. You dont need to use AIM mode on the battlezone, in fact, its NOT recommended.
Need, perhaps not. But how is it not recommended to get bonus damage from a free buff with no CD? The only reason not to be aiming is if you need to move, like if mortars are targetting you or you need to get over to where the action is. I really don't understand why people take issue with this.

Quote:
2. You dont need special anti - voth weapons, any XI or XII weapon will sufice. In the case of science captains or engineers, anti-voth weapons are more useful, but in the case of tactical captains, there is absolutely no need of an anti-voth weapon.
You don't need, no, but they don't hurt, and it's a cheap way for a new player to get a decent gun. Remember, we're talking to new players, not grizzled veterans who can run ESTFs in Mk X green gear.

Quote:
3. You dont need reputation or fleet equipment to do elite STFS, any decent XII wear will sufice. Of course as always, better equpiment helps, but it is not NECESSARY, on the contrary a lot of people says. Its something similar about PVP, it doesnt matter what equipment you wear, you can be destroyed in 2 seconds even if you have the best shields of the universe.
Again, maybe not need, but handy to have. Dyson set gear is easy to earn because of the big mark and dil payouts, and will give new players a leg up. This is the Academy forum, so I make my recommendations toward newbies. New players don't have skill yet, so they depend more on their gear. I would not tell somebody who just dinged 50 on their first character to leap into ESTFs with junk story and exchange gear, they would be a liability. I did that on my last alt and was fine, but I know how to build and fly a ship after two years of experience and a lot of research.

Quote:
4. Again, there will be no FIX about exp issues. Everything is just fine about earning experience. This game works as any other games, if you want to earn exp points, you need to do something else, no get stucked in the reputation zones. If you want to farm dilithium and dyson reputation, yes , stuck to the battlezone, but if you want experience, you cant do that all the time. Its that simple. And its exactly the same as other games. In other games, experience is gained doing a variety of things, that gives you exp, the same applies to STO.

5. Defera and omega reputation, on the opposite, its ideal to earn experience + omega marks, since there are 2 or 3 missions on Defera invasion zone that gives you ONLY expereience points and cant be repeated a few times a long the day.
Dyson uses commendation tokens for the daily Rep XP project, which does not require an Expertise input. You can level the entire Dyson rep without spending a single EXP or EC if you don't run the hourly project. The devs have stated that the Dyson system, if successful, would be retrofitted onto the other reps. That would constitute a "fix" for the EXP drain the rep projects currently cause new characters.

As far as earning expertise, you can do that by playing just about anything which involves combat and/or gives a mission clear reward. Or Doffing. The pitfall is when you're logging in, filling New Romulus rep projects, tagging epohhs, then just screwing around or logging off. As long as you remember to actually go play the game somewhere, you'll be fine. That's all I'm saying there. Don't just tag epohhs, go do something else too. That's how I ran my Romulan alt down to 0 Expertise, which sucked, and we don't have the old Mirror event to farm it up anymore.