Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
01-21-2010, 11:27 PM
My System Stats

My Case http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4592/dscf0002.jpg

Phenom II 955 at 3.5ghz with stock voltage, can take 24 hour prime no problems, cooled with a Zalman 9700
Sapphire Radeon 5850 stock
8gigs ram
SIX hard drives, totaling 5TB of space

I played STO yesterday with every option cranked to the max. Bloom, AAx8, AFx15, 1920x1200 res, post processing on, everything

The highest my videocard got was 70C, in a 80F room. Videocard highest it recorded in use was 90% activation, I pushed it as hard as I could, fan went up to 28%

My CPU was at 35C after a hour of playing, fanspeed was recorded at 1800RPM

My CPU idles at 29C and fan at 1400RPM, my GPU idles at 53C and 24% fan speed

The highest I have stressed my system was Prime + Furmark, which pushed CPU up to 40C, and GPU up to 76C, recorded 370watts drawn from the wall

Furmark alone draws 270watts from the wall, Crysis draws 350 watts from the wall, Mass Effect draws 330watts from the wall

The highest I have seen, to date recorded on my UPS was 267watts drawn from the wall on a ground mission, which means my computer baring the 85% effecency of my PSU is only taking 227watts to power my system

This game is peanuts to run, this game works my system very little, WoW worked my system harder then this game, pulling 290watts from the wall in cities etc

This game CANNOT work your card harder then furmark will

To those saying your systems are "fine" no they arn't

Also to those with aftermarket coolers, those aftermarket jobs may be fantastic for keeping the GPU cool, but your voltage phase modulators are MASSIVELY undercooled with aftermarket jobs, if your System keeps rebooting and your GPU and CPU is cool and you got a aftermarket cooling solution for your videocard, get a program like Everest and monitor the heat coming from your voltage modulators, I bet they are easily heading up to 100C+ with aftermarket jobs
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytek
Im running a evga Nividia 9800 GTX+ and its runnin around 125 to 130F. Is this an acceptable temp
Yes it is, you are nowhere neat maxing out the thermal envelope for that videocard, thats around 55C, GPU's normally can take around 80C before problems
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
01-22-2010, 02:03 AM
Some of you guys act like your stuff doesn't stink and I think it's hilarious. I'm running a.. look at sig.. and I simply use RivaTuner. When I load up STO I go into the Low-level system tweaks and set the fan duty cycle to 100%. I run the game on max everything with no FPS cap and I peak at 68c.

Stop blaming STO. Your cooling is insufficient. Stop whining and fix it.

I can't believe that Cryptic's devs are having to resort to basic PC Support on these forums. PC maintenance is something everyone should know that owns a system and if you don't and you try to "build" your own system without any professional education then I suggest to start listening to the people who DO have an education in IT and drop the holier-than-thou act.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
01-22-2010, 02:56 AM
No it is not my rig its the patch I have 2 different STO games installed one from fileplanet and one from steam , now there is a big difference playing the game under steam STO thus not heat up ???


Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
01-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulda View Post
Some of you guys act like your stuff doesn't stink and I think it's hilarious. I'm running a.. look at sig.. and I simply use RivaTuner. When I load up STO I go into the Low-level system tweaks and set the fan duty cycle to 100%. I run the game on max everything with no FPS cap and I peak at 68c.

Stop blaming STO. Your cooling is insufficient. Stop whining and fix it.

I can't believe that Cryptic's devs are having to resort to basic PC Support on these forums. PC maintenance is something everyone should know that owns a system and if you don't and you try to "build" your own system without any professional education then I suggest to start listening to the people who DO have an education in IT and drop the holier-than-thou act.
Your system stinks m8 !!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
01-22-2010, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICRageman
No it is not my rig its the patch I have 2 different STO games installed one from fileplanet and one from steam , now there is a big difference playing the game under steam STO thus not heat up ???


You're completely missing the point! It doesn't matter if you're overheating on STO or Hello Kitty, if you're overheating then your cooling isn't sufficient. It doesn't matter why.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
01-22-2010, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICRageman
Your system stinks m8 !!!!
At least it's properly cooled.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
01-22-2010, 05:31 AM
hate to tell some of you guys but if most of our rigs are only dieing on this game then guess what, it aint our cooling. Clean out my case is the best they can say? really?

No game i have ever played has made my 8800gtx go to the temps it has in STO, the /maxfps cap helped but now after todays patch after protracted periods it will overheat again aka like 4 hours of game time.

Ive built my own pc's for over 8 years now, i have 0 cooling issues with this case, card, ram and proccessor, till now. They need to fix this issue before the game goes live you cant simply say oh its our fault for X reason or for XX reason.

And no GPUs are not meant to run at 100% for the entire length of a game, they are ment to be able to go up to 100% to handle sudden graphic intense times then back to a stable temp. If a car runs in the red line for to long guess what it blows the motor no diff with this.

Im not even running 100% settings just nice decent settings as the game looks great without having to go to max that says something. And anyone who says we that are having this issue are just lazy criers with bad cooling.... think what itd be like to have this issue in only 1 game ever with nothing else coming close to these temps.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
01-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToney3449 View Post
hate to tell some of you guys but if most of our rigs are only dieing on this game then guess what, it aint our cooling. Clean out my case is the best they can say? really?

No game i have ever played has made my 8800gtx go to the temps it has in STO, the /maxfps cap helped but now after todays patch after protracted periods it will overheat again aka like 4 hours of game time.

Ive built my own pc's for over 8 years now, i have 0 cooling issues with this case, card, ram and proccessor, till now. They need to fix this issue before the game goes live you cant simply say oh its our fault for X reason or for XX reason.

And no GPUs are not meant to run at 100% for the entire length of a game, they are ment to be able to go up to 100% to handle sudden graphic intense times then back to a stable temp. If a car runs in the red line for to long guess what it blows the motor no diff with this.

Im not even running 100% settings just nice decent settings as the game looks great without having to go to max that says something. And anyone who says we that are having this issue are just lazy criers with bad cooling.... think what itd be like to have this issue in only 1 game ever with nothing else coming close to these temps.
I'm running the game right now at a GPU core temp of 58c on a very overclocked GTX 260. In your own words.. that says something.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
01-22-2010, 06:22 AM
I've got a Intel Q9550 as processor running at its default speed 2.83ghz, 4GB of Ram Corsair at 1333, a very nice Antec PSU and my Graphic card is a Asus GTX 280 (The first version).

My previous computer had a GeForce 7800gs. I never had overheating problem with it, even if the case was not for gaming solution. The thing is the 7800gs doesn't produce the same heat than the GTX280. Not at all.

The case I have with this new computer is nice, has medium to good airflow but again it's not really for gaming. 4 games cause the failsafe mode to kick-in on my GPU: Lords of the ring Online (Which it never did on my other computer), Call of Duty modern Warfare 2, Star Trek Online and Dragon Ages origins. What ? dragon Ages Origins ? I saw Temp with CODMW2 going up to 135 C for MCP and 90 C for the GPU. Before starting each one of these game I set the GPU fan to 100% in the NVidia Control Panel (With the Performance/System Monitoring TOol Add-ins installed). Even with that CODMW2 and STO cause the GPU failafe to kick-in. So just before Christmas I bought a 15$ solution at Wal-Mart. A small floor cooling fan. On this computer and even my previous one, the panel is never close, so I just put the cooling fan near the opened panel and blow air at low speed, not even medium or high and my GPU never goes beyond 65C and the MCP stays at 105 C. Cool solution.

Here's the thing, physics law can't be changed. The amount of air that is pulled or pushed into your case must at least be the same goes out. And there must always a constant flow of air in your case. Blowing air (ambient temp) in an opened case at a certain angle so the air is not always pushed back into the case is a simple and enough solution.

Yes it's true some coding might be needed, yeah like giving an option to set the AA to 16x but in fact behind the scene the game set it to 4x so the GPU computes less and produce less heat, but as someone said in some previous reply, this is the PC world, the best rig last only a few days. There a thousands CPU/RAM/GPU/Motherboard solution out there it would take many years to code something so everyone is happy at a certain point of time and at that time that hardware would be obsolete. If you want to play games that never overheat a system and on which the hardware never change sfor years, then go with a console and stop whinning about your PC.

I've never whinned about a game causing problem on any of my PCs, what I do is I look for solution on my own.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 PM.