Lt. Commander
# 11
01-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
X1600s and X1900s are known WIne graphics issues.. so don't expect too much...

I have never seen it prompt for DirectX... if it does, you do NOT want to install it, even if it works, Wine will run faster using its own directx files, and not MSes.

Answering yes to the script errors is needed... I forgot about that...

I also noticed a bug when i tried to do a full install from scratch, that occasionally the patcher would disconnect and close... it was odd... but when starting again i never had DirectX pop ups.

If you had it install any DirectX files, you need to start over again with a clean version of the wrapper... do not let it install anything DirectX related if it prompts.
I think I know what I was doing wrong, moving the install locating of the file. After the installer finished I used your other directions to put the Cryptic Studios folder into Star Trek Online.app and setting the correct .exe for the wrapper. When I reopened the the app it launched the STO launcher, this time it patched up to 1GB of 10GB and closed, though that might be because I selected "No" to the script errors since "Yes" didn't work out well before.

I might try again tonight but if it keeps giving me problems I think I'll just wait till down the road if STO is a success and they make an official port.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I've updated the post to list a couple of work arounds I found to make the graphics issue a little more tolerable if it happens a lot on your machine.... I need to figure out exactly whats causing it and attempt to make a specific fix for the actual Wine build here.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper358 View Post
I think I know what I was doing wrong, moving the install locating of the file. After the installer finished I used your other directions to put the Cryptic Studios folder into Star Trek Online.app and setting the correct .exe for the wrapper. When I reopened the the app it launched the STO launcher, this time it patched up to 1GB of 10GB and closed, though that might be because I selected "No" to the script errors since "Yes" didn't work out well before.

I might try again tonight but if it keeps giving me problems I think I'll just wait till down the road if STO is a success and they make an official port.
I also haven't run from a full install yet... last time I full installed it was back when it failed a lot.. I found a fix, but never used that install, i copied over my main install, but theoretically it will still work fine to install.

I will mess with it more, and hopefully get more feedback from others who try.. but I do recall it all of a sudden closing on me during patching a few times.... but it'll pick back up where it left off. Looking at the logs it seemed the program just had a time out and closed, and the error wasn't on my side of things... but not 100% sure.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I've updated the post to list a couple of work arounds I found to make the graphics issue a little more tolerable if it happens a lot on your machine.... I need to figure out exactly whats causing it and attempt to make a specific fix for the actual Wine build here.
I noticed that if you click on the chat window and change the tab to combat, then back, the issue occurs a lot less frequently. Not sure why, but it's an easy work around.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm definitely interested in testing and helping out with this. I'll download it when I get home.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Running on a Macbook with a Geforce 9400

The game runs, says unrecognized hardware then give you the option to load low settings or default.

Choosing either will have the game crash at the game's loading screen (The one with the star trek logo) and give a CrypticError box.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterSlayer View Post
Running on a Macbook with a Geforce 9400

The game runs, says unrecognized hardware then give you the option to load low settings or default.

Choosing either will have the game crash at the game's loading screen (The one with the star trek logo) and give a CrypticError box.
on what OS? How did you install?

thats the same place I had crashes for awhile... but I disabled GLSL in Wine and it never crashed for me again... it should be already disabled in what you downloaded unless you went in regedit and turned it back on... or reset the wrapper or something to change that setting.

It wont pick any card up right... using Default still should work though
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-22-2010, 11:27 PM
wow- great work- sound and everything. i'm getting the ghosting thing everyone is seeing in sector space, but other then that it's quite good. This is on a hackintosh i7 running 10.6.2 w/ a geforce 275.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Well I got it to work =D. The launcher must have closed on me at least 10 times, most of them occurring in the last 500MB, but I finally got all the patch data and was able to successfully launch the game. It doesn't look pretty but is very much playable. Experienced some of the graphical draw issue, the client closed after I moved the camera around too much when the graphics were going all wonky.

The fact that I was able to get it up and running was enough for me tonight, I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow. Thanks again doh123.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-23-2010, 01:17 AM
really appreciate this!
Closed Thread