Lt. Commander
Every time I boot up and load Star Trek, even if I have previously restored and excluded the crypticerror.exe from being removed, Norton Internet Security 2010 deletes this file and gives me the alert of:

"crypticerror.exe (crypticerror.exe) detected by SONAR - Quanantined"

This also happens when there has been a patch while the PC has still be on even if previously excluded in the same pc session.

So, my question is this. Is there something that you have to do on your end about this crypticerror.exe so it is not deemed a suspicious program? Or is this something you need to inform Symantec about so they can update their data. Or is this something we have to contact Symantec about ourselves?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I get a similar message from Norton 2010, but it asks if I want to allow or deny the program. Of course, I allow it and it works fine. I get a warning message on almost every patch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Simple. Norton sucks. Use another antivirus such as AVG or Kapersky.

Not sure how to fix the current issue tho, if its not accepting the .exe into the exclusions list then Im not sure. You could try to mark the .exe as 'read only' and maybe that will prevent it from deleting it... not sure if that will work either :/
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2010, 09:32 PM
>Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs> Fine the Norton Entry (Usually about 10 of them) > Uninstall....Fixed

Norton = Bad evil resource hog - and driver killer..

Pretty much all AV software does this but Norton is king. Avoid using anything that active scans, if your going to hop on the web, turn it on, but if your gaming, shut it down - Just remember to flip it back on before you go DL'n whatever it is that you DL. If you have a laptop or other desktop I'd use one of those for browsing tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaell View Post
>Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs> Fine the Norton Entry (Usually about 10 of them) > Uninstall....Fixed

Pretty much all AV software does this but Norton is king. Avoid using anything that active scans, if your going to hop on the web, turn it on, but if your gaming, shut it down - Just remember to flip it back on before you go DL'n whatever it is that you DL. If you have a laptop or other desktop I'd use one of those for browsing tbh.
Actually, 2010 is not a resource hog. Norton's is the only AV program I have never gotten a virus infection while using, where-as I've had my pc get viraled out using McAffe, Kapersky, AVG, and Zone Alarm.

360 and 2010 were designed to not be the resource hog other versions were.

Thanks for your tips, but I have no performance issues what-so-ever with Nortons. It runs seemlessly in the background on any game I have played. It even goes silent when I am gaming, hence I do not even see that the crypticerror.exe file has been Quarantined until I either minimize the game or quit playing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, honestly.. AV apps are useless imo. I havent used one in quite some time (but do scan from time to time..) and have never been bitten (knock on wood) What I learned - stay away from sites that look fake. Dont DL illegal s**t. Dont open emails that you dont know. Follow these simple rules and life can be better (and a faster PC too..)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelissa View Post
Simple. Norton sucks. Use another antivirus such as AVG or Kapersky.

Not sure how to fix the current issue tho, if its not accepting the .exe into the exclusions list then Im not sure. You could try to mark the .exe as 'read only' and maybe that will prevent it from deleting it... not sure if that will work either :/
Because free stuff ALWAYS works better then something you actually have to pay for. I can't name how many times I have had to clean off someone's computer who used AVG. on the other hand Kaspersky is listed as one of the best AVs out on the market. Norton is still very good, I have seen less problems with them then most other AVs out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaell View Post

One word, McAfee.

Norton is no where near as close. To give you an idea, some other legit AV programs call McAfee malware, you know it is bad when it is rated like that. Trend Micro is a close second with Norton being WAY down on the list from them (especially since 2010 released)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelissa View Post
Well, honestly.. AV apps are useless imo. I havent used one in quite some time (but do scan from time to time..) and have never been bitten (knock on wood) What I learned - stay away from sites that look fake. Dont DL illegal s**t. Dont open emails that you dont know. Follow these simple rules and life can be better (and a faster PC too..)
two things:
first, as nice as it would be for everyone to follow these rules that is not the case.
second, you have been very lucky as some of the malware out there tends to hit you from legit websites that have been hacked. to give you an example, my previous laptop about a year ago was hit with a very nasty malware right after i had reinstalled the OS, so of course no AV yet (was online to DL an AV), the virus came from a very legit and usually clean website, Google. they killed the hack fast of course, but my computer was hit before they stopped it, ended up having to re-reinstall the OS again to clean it up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Any word on this Cryptic?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Norton is a TERRIBLE program. Like others have said, get another one. We know the guy in the PC store told you it was the best, but that was so he could get his commission from it. There are so many free V's otu there, that do a much better job than norton.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Norton is a TERRIBLE program. Like others have said, get another one. We know the guy in the PC store told you it was the best, but that was so he could get his commission from it. There are so many free V's otu there, that do a much better job than norton.
Actually, I have used a verity of Norton's products for about 15+ years now. I am sorry you do not like Norton, but please do not tell me what AV program I should be using when I darn well know from personal experience that no other AV program can protect you as well as Norton's can. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I have yet to have ever been infected with a virus while using any Norton's products. On the other hand, I have had numerous infections while trying nearly all the free ones on the market as well as McAfee.

My sister is a Computer Technician and has Network Systems Manager under her belt, we have worked together for years on computers, and we'll both agree, if you can afford it and your system can handle it, get Nortons. As well, as I also stated, 360 and 2010 were designed to not to use as much system resources as previous editions. I can say first hand, that this is true of NIS 2010.

While using McAfee, AVG, and Kaper, we experienced long boot up and shut down times as well as performance loss when something is detected or a scan is underway. This is not the case with NIS 2010, on our machines anyway. It runs seamlessly in the background and even goes silent while gaming if you prefer.

So, with that said, I thank you all for your suggestions on me using some other product, however that is just not going to happen. I am not looking for opinions on these products, I am looking for an answer to my question in the Original Post.

Thank you for your time.