Lt. Commander
# 81
01-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cillic View Post
I have a brand new PC with a lovely new Radion HD 5850. Turned the graphics all the way up in STO and I would crash to desktop repeatedly, especialy in ground combat. Saw the following in my guild's forums and VOILA, all is good. I can now play STO with all of the settings maxed out, card runs cool and clean.

If you havent manually set your FPS with /maxfps command; then you are redlining your card without even knowing it. Apparently STO has a huge bug where it sets your GPU to try and attempt an infinite framerate which bottoms it out. Even if you arent running hot you are still doing damage since its redlined. To fix this serious problem log into the game and type /maxfps if it comes up 0.000000 then you have been running redline for days most likely. Just type /maxfps(space)# between 30-60 for fps. Then type just /maxfps to make sure it took.

The /showfps command may still show zero but thats bugged so dont pay attention to it. After you set your maxfps you should notice markably increased performance, less heat if you were running crazy hot like me, and the ability to set more stuff to max if you were unable to before.

LAST TIP VERY IMPORTANT. Dont forget that every time you log in you must set your fps again or it will go back to 0.00000.

This has helped 99% of the guild members who tried it and the other 1% did it anyway so they wouldnt keep redlining so I hope it helps yall. Have fun and see you....out there.
The above applys to everyone I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 82
01-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cillic View Post
I have a brand new PC with a lovely new Radion HD 5850. Turned the graphics all the way up in STO and I would crash to desktop repeatedly, especialy in ground combat. Saw the following in my guild's forums and VOILA, all is good. I can now play STO with all of the settings maxed out, card runs cool and clean.

If you havent manually set your FPS with /maxfps command; then you are redlining your card without even knowing it. Apparently STO has a huge bug where it sets your GPU to try and attempt an infinite framerate which bottoms it out. Even if you arent running hot you are still doing damage since its redlined. To fix this serious problem log into the game and type /maxfps if it comes up 0.000000 then you have been running redline for days most likely. Just type /maxfps(space)# between 30-60 for fps. Then type just /maxfps to make sure it took.

The /showfps command may still show zero but thats bugged so dont pay attention to it. After you set your maxfps you should notice markably increased performance, less heat if you were running crazy hot like me, and the ability to set more stuff to max if you were unable to before.

LAST TIP VERY IMPORTANT. Dont forget that every time you log in you must set your fps again or it will go back to 0.00000.

This has helped 99% of the guild members who tried it and the other 1% did it anyway so they wouldnt keep redlining so I hope it helps yall. Have fun and see you....out there.
The game doesn't make your GPU run on "infinate" FPS, it means that the game will run at what ever your GPU hardware will allow. No limit on FPS is standard in any game
can you show me the trend were a devloper gave you this informations..??. becasu i dont think some one knows what there talkign bout calming this is a bug
people. the cards are made to run hot . if you are so worried about heat just go to a liquid colling system like i got . no porbs
Lt. Commander
# 83 Really?
01-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Again, another person rags on someone giving advice or asking for help. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you open your mouth. My GPU was goin gto 90-100 celcius. Using his fix got it down to an average of 75-78. Riddle me that genius boy. Stop belittling everyones suggestion just because you are not having the problem Einstein.
Lt. Commander
# 84 Wow
01-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Again, another person rags on someone giving advice or asking for help. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you open your mouth. My GPU was goin gto 90-100 celcius. Using his fix got it down to an average of 75-78. Riddle me that genius boy. Stop belittling everyones suggestion just because you are not having the problem Einstein.
Lt. Commander
# 85
01-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryden88 View Post
To all of you doubting me let me make this clear. Crysis and many other high end graphics gulping games run blazing fast on my PC. Were you honestly comparing all these games to STO? What on this gods green earth could this game be doing to cause a high end card to skyrocket in temperature..
For comparison sake, my computer used to run Crysis nearly maxed out graphics happily with no crashing.

When I started playing Age of Conan, my computer would randomly restart/crash to desktop once every 20-40 minutes. I also experienced the same problem playing Company of Heroes and World in Conflict.

I found it strange that I had these problems in a game such as Age of Conan but yet not in Crysis and I could also run Prime95 and OCCT for 4+ hours with no crashes or problems. For whatever reason Age of Conan was making my computer do something that these other programs didn't. I started looking for answers by asking the game developers if there were any known issues and there were not.

Upon further investigation I found that my RAM timings were a little too tight for the sensitive 790i chipset. Relaxing my RAM timings for my 4 DIMMS of OCZ RAM got the problem down to weekly, then with a little more tweaking the problem has been gone now for over 1 year. I have since posted these stable timings on the OCZ forums as several other users were also having problems with that RAM and chipset combination (RAM manufacturers posted timings were not correct for the chipset, or when combined with another kit of the same type and brand).

The point of the story is that Crysis, while it is considered "modern", does not necesarilly make use of video cards in the same way as other games or applications. For whatever reason *** was utilizing my RAM differently than Crysis just enough to reveal the weakness in my configuration.

If you are experiencing these kinds of problems (overheating, lockups, reboots, shutdowns) then you have come across a game that has revelead a weakness in your current configuration. If the problem is gone since a patch, thats great, but that just means that the new patch is being "softer" on your systems weakness. The weakness is still there. This miracle command fix that is correcting the problem for some people is just changing how the game is utilizing your video card enough to reduce the heat being produced by it.

No matter how many years of technical support you have done, and no matter how many degrees or certifications you have, once in a while computers throw a wrench into your train of thought for you to overcome and figure out. I have been working professionally in IT for over 10 years relating to both hardware and software, there are always things you will come across that make you go "Huh?"
Lt. Commander
# 86
01-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Well would you look at that. After this latest server maintenance and patch my Pc is running STO just fine. Wow. My 7 years of Tech Suppot and help desk mean nothing I guess in diagnosing this issue. I mean I wasn't saying it had something to do with the game or anything. You know saying I told you say doesn't seem to cut it in this case. But I told you so.
Calling that orange a banana?

I'm glad the latest patch helped you. I don't know what your original problems were, but if they were in-line with the thread regarding overheating, it's still a problem on your PC. If your PC was overheating (ie: video card, CPU, or anything else) when playing STO and now it's not with the latest patch, then that only means the new patch streamlined code so that it won't max out GPU/CPU. If your PC was overheating with STO in the past, then it will overheat with anything that maxes out your GPU, CPU, etc.

Try some stress testing and see why your PC was really overheating.
Lt. Commander
# 87
01-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Quote:
What on this gods green earth could this game be doing to cause a high end card to skyrocket in temperature.
The game isn't causing the overheating. It's your GPU being maxed for processing that is causing it to overheat. This game is still a beta (though it's getting too close to release for comfort), and therefore many things were not streamlined yet (ie: bluky, bloated code that runs slow and requires more processing than it may need). Any software that peaks your GPU is still going to cause your video card to overheat.

In the end, it looks like the beta of STO beat the cr*p out of your video card and should have made you realize that its cooling wasn't adequate when maxed for extended periods of time. If you don't care about having a PC that can overheat, then that's your prerogative. For the rest of us techies, we know better, thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 88
01-24-2010, 03:53 AM
Future GPU's wil be stress tested on STO sinds its so hich tec and demanding game ROFL

I am not in IT still from these posts i can tell there giving out degrees .
Some have no problem playen the game sinds thay live on the north pole in a iglo .
A patch fixed the problem so ....
Stunds like that is good for the hardwear market .
Lt. Commander
# 89
01-24-2010, 04:48 AM
It does not matter if a graphics card dies because its not enough cooled for continous 100% operation or not.

Cryptic is causing the problem with their code, plus...

Every graphics card will die earlier if its running all the time with 100% than it would running at 70% all the time.

Cryptic is decreasing the lifetime of our graphics cards, so they are constantly doing damage to them with their coding.
Lt. Commander
# 90
01-24-2010, 05:31 AM
I can confirm in my case and hardware setup using the command /maxfps 60 (for example) works

works in the way of limiting the no. of FPS being drawn when no graphics are being drawn too

to all those who said you have a crap piece of graphics card and not the software - EAT ME !
Closed Thread