Lt. Commander
# 91
01-24-2010, 08:37 AM
I have a 9600GT running windows 7 32bit.

The only thing I have turned off in the game are shadows everything else is set to max and looking at my card heat its running at about 65-70 C

so I dont know if this is effecting newer cards, something to do with the coding or maybe something with the game code and nvidia drivers.

I use a program called EVGA precision I dont know if this works with all Nvidia cards.

but idle its running about about 41C core clock is set at 650mhz I played another online game can't remember what it was but the game used to crash out and reset my pc 2-5-20 mins into the game.

This may sound stupid but when I dropped my cards core clock to 550mhz the game was stable and never crashed.

If someone wanted to give this program a go and alter some of there card settings see if it makes a difference and report back I would try it myself but I dont have any problems at the moment getting the game to run and run stable.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryden88 View Post
Again, another person rags on someone giving advice or asking for help. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you open your mouth. My GPU was going got 90-100 Celsius. Using his fix got it down to an average of 75-78. Riddle me that genius boy. Stop belittling everyones suggestion just because you are not having the problem Einstein.
you are correct make Shir you know what you are talking about be for you try and tell. people that do not know any thing about graphics card. that sto has a bug that .makes you card red line.
you will have then spread all acors the net that sto is melting video cards which is not the case. the newer card are made for maximum operating temperature is 105C . my bud works ofor msi . i seen his gx2 get to temps of 120c and 130c. . he xplaned to me that the cards were made to run this hot stock seating from msi. so if you over clocking your card. which there is no need to over clock an msi card. cause that are over cloaked form mis. the gx2 and her sister cards the 280 and so on get this hot be cause there is 2 gpu in such a confined space. if you are so worry ed bout temps just go to a water cooled system . and you do not have to worry about it. you will want to check with of ever made your card. msi ,bfg, and so on to see what they have set fore your cards max operating temperature is.
my MSI gx2 is set for 125c.when i play sto it will stay at 20c . but thats with a water cooled system
but its max load tep is set to run at 125c
Lt. Commander
# 93
01-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICRageman
My cpu AMD 6400 + with core temp was going 80 c the 2 core's .
My cpu aint that great no more still dont get how that game can stress my system like that i have no probs running crysis all max video setting .
I am shure it is the last patch that hase some thing to do with it .
its not sto at all or any patch just use a tool like ati tool and watch the 3d spinning cube a while this replicates sto
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakster View Post
I can confirm in my case and hardware setup using the command /maxfps 60 (for example) works

works in the way of limiting the no. of FPS being drawn when no graphics are being drawn too

to all those who said you have a crap piece of graphics card and not the software - EAT ME !
What is it you people don't understand? Setting that limit is not FIXING STO to run right and therefore not overheat your card. Using that command LIMITS THE SOFTWARE TO "DUMB IT DOWN" so it won't overheat your poorly heated card. You're not FIXING anything. You're scaling it back from what it normally is to compensate. Like an engine that can't handle a normal RPM, so you put a rev limiter on it. It's not the limiters fault the motor couldn't handle normal RPMs.

You're putting the buggy before the horse. Anyway, I'm tired of people who think they know what they're talking about and, in reality, have such a twisted view that they might as well be calling the sky pink and honestly believing it.

I truly pitty you. To live in such ignorance and wallow in it day after day is such a waste of a mind. I'm done wasting my time on you noobs.
Lt. Commander
# 95
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroesWar View Post
I have a 9600GT running windows 7 32bit.

The only thing I have turned off in the game are shadows everything else is set to max and looking at my card heat its running at about 65-70 C

so I dont know if this is effecting newer cards, something to do with the coding or maybe something with the game code and nvidia drivers.

I use a program called EVGA precision I dont know if this works with all Nvidia cards.

but idle its running about about 41C core clock is set at 650mhz I played another online game can't remember what it was but the game used to crash out and reset my pc 2-5-20 mins into the game.

This may sound stupid but when I dropped my cards core clock to 550mhz the game was stable and never crashed.

If someone wanted to give this program a go and alter some of there card settings see if it makes a difference and report back I would try it myself but I dont have any problems at the moment getting the game to run and run stable.
OMFG!

You lowered performance and have no idea why it could have made it more stable! You have no idea why older cards are having less problems. Newer cards are faster.. faster means more heat... more heat + insufficient cooling = instability.

Christ, were some of you people dropped as an infant? It's commonsense.
Lt. Commander
# 96
01-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Strangeness! I was having constant crashes on ground missions, unless I turned on half resolution, or underclocked my GPU to litterally half it's normal clock speed. I took it out, made sure it was clean, checked all the other fans, was all good. Then I tried moving it one step down from my CPU, and right against my PhysX card. I figured it wouldn't be any better, but might as well try. It helped. Then, with some log information from GPU-z, I noticed that my memory temperature was the one getting the highest, so rather than lower the clock speed on the GPU, I lowered it on the video memory by about 10%. Problem solved.

Here's where I think we might be having a problem with STO that other games don't have: Memory bandwidth. With all the special post-processing effects it has, most of which use a lot of buffer accesses, it's possible that the heat issues are coming from the memory getting exerted more heavily than other games. Some are big on GPU power, others on memory pixel-pushing, and if I recall, most of these effects are very pixel-pushing intensive. For example, using lower screen resolutions, but cranking up your special effects, polygons and textures will work well on a powerful GPU with a low bandwidth memory bus, but not well on a slower GPU, with a larger bus. High resolution and high anti-aliasing requires a huge memory bandwidth, and cards with big ones can handle it better. Something about texture/polygon fill rates vs. pixel fill rates. I'm sure one of you experts out there can verify this, but it seems to fit.
Lt. Commander
# 97
01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spots
Strangeness! I was having constant crashes on ground missions, unless I turned on half resolution, or underclocked my GPU to litterally half it's normal clock speed. I took it out, made sure it was clean, checked all the other fans, was all good. Then I tried moving it one step down from my CPU, and right against my PhysX card. I figured it wouldn't be any better, but might as well try. It helped. Then, with some log information from GPU-z, I noticed that my memory temperature was the one getting the highest, so rather than lower the clock speed on the GPU, I lowered it on the video memory by about 10%. Problem solved.

Here's where I think we might be having a problem with STO that other games don't have: Memory bandwidth. With all the special post-processing effects it has, most of which use a lot of buffer accesses, it's possible that the heat issues are coming from the memory getting exerted more heavily than other games. Some are big on GPU power, others on memory pixel-pushing, and if I recall, most of these effects are very pixel-pushing intensive. For example, using lower screen resolutions, but cranking up your special effects, polygons and textures will work well on a powerful GPU with a low bandwidth memory bus, but not well on a slower GPU, with a larger bus. High resolution and high anti-aliasing requires a huge memory bandwidth, and cards with big ones can handle it better. Something about texture/polygon fill rates vs. pixel fill rates. I'm sure one of you experts out there can verify this, but it seems to fit.

The problem with this post is that most people will start to read it and their eyes will glaze over and get that "deer in the headlight" look and none of it will make sense so they will just go back to blaming STO.

All techno-babble aside... the short story is.. People are overheating!
Lt. Commander
# 98
01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
The overheating issue is somthing to do with the game engine really hitting the GPU hard for no apparent reason.. my card runs at 85 to 90 playing this game yet with crysis and other similar games it runs at 75 to 80 max.

So the question is why does this game hit the GPU so hard when the graphics are not all that hot.

Turning off post processing solves it for me but others have to do different things.

My case is not dusty at all the cooling works fine on more graphic intensive games so it all points to somthing up with this game.

Now with the last weeks mid week patch they had actually fixed the issue, i could run everything maxed out and my card would happily sit at 78 and not really move from that. With this weekends patch they have reverted the fix and now my temps are gonig sky high again so off went post processing effects and its fine.

So to all the people screaming saying its the persons fault because they dont air condition their pc please stop..
Lt. Commander
# 99
01-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldrin View Post
The overheating issue is somthing to do with the game engine really hitting the GPU hard for no apparent reason..

So the question is why does this game hit the GPU so hard when the graphics are not all that hot.

So to all the people screaming saying its the persons fault because they dont air condition their pc please stop..

You sir. got it right.
Lt. Commander
# 100
01-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldrin View Post
The overheating issue is somthing to do with the game engine really hitting the GPU hard for no apparent reason.. my card runs at 85 to 90 playing this game yet with crysis and other similar games it runs at 75 to 80 max.

Turning off post processing solves it for me but others have to do different things.

My case is not dusty at all the cooling works fine on more graphic intensive games so it all points to somthing up with this game.

Now with the last weeks mid week patch they had actually fixed the issue, i could run everything maxed out and my card would happily sit at 78 and not really move from that. With this weekends patch they have reverted the fix and now my temps are gonig sky high again so off went post processing effects and its fine.

no parent reson really?
people what the bling bling in space. so the game is going to pull as much power as it can out of thos cards for the bling bling
all new cards are made to run hot 80c is not hot for the newer cards . thos who have old cards yes thats hot and may not want to run the game at the highest settings.
Closed Thread