Lt. Commander
# 21 DxDiag 6
01-25-2010, 06:04 AM
DxDiag link added to my original post.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-25-2010, 06:45 AM
That was a lot of text file spamming, LBellouny. Next time, you might want to try something like Pastebin and then just link the text here. It's much easier for you and much easier for everyone else to read as well.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
That was a lot of text file spamming, LBellouny. Next time, you might want to try something like Pastebin and then just link the text here. It's much easier for you and much easier for everyone else to read as well.
I realize that, and I apologize for it, but I didn't know of anything that I could've used. I'll keep that in mind.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-25-2010, 08:07 AM
The issue just happened again. This time without the Nero Services starting or stopping. Had my ATi CCC open, adn teh temp of my card did not spike over 48C. the ATi Overdrive is disabled on my cards. Any clues?
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBellouny View Post
The issue just happened again. This time without the Nero Services starting or stopping. Had my ATi CCC open, adn teh temp of my card did not spike over 48C. the ATi Overdrive is disabled on my cards. Any clues?
Not a heat issue then. I did look over your DXDiag report and everything looks good from a quick scan. Correct drivers, decent hardware, etc. Your pagefile is a little large, but I suspect that's just because you're running Vista, and that OS tends to be a little bloated.

What type of crash is this? If it's a complete system reboot/freeze to black screen (or no video signal), then it might be a dying/defective video card. If it just crashes to the desktop, it might be software related.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I should clarify the heat, It peaks at 48C at desktop.

Running the game at the tick just below Quality, it would stay rather steady at about 63C, and peak at 68C.
Bringing it to the tick just above Speed it would stay steady at 58C and peak at 62C.

It's teh Video signal cutting out, but the sound continuing in the background. There is no crash to desktop, and no video driver recovery. It requires a reboot, either by hitting the reset button or by holding down the power button until it shuts off, and then rebooting as per normal.

I find it hard to believe that it's a dying/defective video card as I can play Dawn of War 2 at high settings without a hitch, and that at least to me, seems to have a bit more going on on-screen at any moment than when this issue occurs.

It seemd that turning the video quality down a tick to alleviate the issue, until I started The Ultimate Klingon mission series, when it occurred again as soon as I got inside the Klingon Reasearch facility on H'ataria.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
I should clarify the heat, It peaks at 48C at desktop.

Running the game at the tick just below Quality, it would stay rather steady at about 63C, and peak at 68C.
Bringing it to the tick just above Speed it would stay steady at 58C and peak at 62C.
What is 48C, 63C, 58C, etc.? Please specify GPU, CPU, ambient temps, etc. 68C for a video card is fine, but 48C for ambient temperature inside the case is not. 68C for a CPU is too high, while 58C for a CPU is high, but ok.

Quote:
It's teh Video signal cutting out, but the sound continuing in the background. There is no crash to desktop, and no video driver recovery. It requires a reboot, either by hitting the reset button or by holding down the power button until it shuts off, and then rebooting as per normal.
AHHHHHH!

I've seen this many, many, many times before with other games. In fact, I went through that nightmare almost a year ago with my video cards and the LOTRO MMO. It was with my GTX 285. Blackscreened (no video signal), but sound still active, had to do a hard reset to get it back. I went through a lot of troubleshooting until I RMAed that 285. Second one, same problem. Complained to EVGA, RMAed it again, and sure enough 3rd one was fine! I then did the EVGA Step-Up program to swap it for a GTX 295 for about $100. Others over on the LOTRO were having this problem too. A kinship member of mine (guild member) had the same problem with a GTX 280 or so and sure enough, a replacement fixed it.

Bottom line: defective video card. Sorry, that's the symptoms of it. It can happen within minutes or gaming or within hours of gaming. Mine was much more sporadic with sometimes 15 minutes, then sometimes hours. Is that video card still under warranty? If so, swap it. If not, you'll need to buy another.

And it will be random in different games.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Those temps refer specifically to the GPU.

And if it was really a defective video card, how come this issue only started occurring yesterday? I had been playing the game from 6:30AM to 9AM since Thursday of week before last without any issue.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
What is 48C, 63C, 58C, etc.? Please specify GPU, CPU, ambient temps, etc. 68C for a video card is fine, but 48C for ambient temperature inside the case is not. 68C for a CPU is too high, while 58C for a CPU is high, but ok.

AHHHHHH!

I've seen this many, many, many times before with other games. In fact, I went through that nightmare almost a year ago with my video cards and the LOTRO MMO. It was with my GTX 285. Blackscreened (no video signal), but sound still active, had to do a hard reset to get it back. I went through a lot of troubleshooting until I RMAed that 285. Second one, same problem. Complained to EVGA, RMAed it again, and sure enough 3rd one was fine! I then did the EVGA Step-Up program to swap it for a GTX 295 for about $100. Others over on the LOTRO were having this problem too. A kinship member of mine (guild member) had the same problem with a GTX 280 or so and sure enough, a replacement fixed it.

Bottom line: defective video card. Sorry, that's the symptoms of it. It can happen within minutes or gaming or within hours of gaming. Mine was much more sporadic with sometimes 15 minutes, then sometimes hours. Is that video card still under warranty? If so, swap it. If not, you'll need to buy another.

And it will be random in different games.
Considering that I have no problems in other games, and that getting a new video card isn't really an option for me, can you think of any other possible explanation to look in to? Or a way to test the card that would determine if it is faulty beyond running a game and seeing if it crashes?

Regardless, thank you very much for your input.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I have the same problem with my ati 4850. I have tried many thinks to get it working. Thought i had it last night. I installed the catalyst control center. It installed a driver, and the computer could play STO for hours. And I could play it with all the sugar on. But the next day, it was the same problem as always.

Could the problem be related to the ati2dvag error? It was the only problem I had when I could play the game for several hours. It is something with the card getting to hot. I waas about to try and play it with an extra cooler on the card. But that is when I had the same problem that everybody with the ATI 4850 card installed