The Romulan Praetorian Guard (RPG), otherwise known as the Tal Prai'ex, is a relatively new fleet for STO that launched with the Legacy of Romulus expansion. Most of us played STO when it first hit open beta and we still thought Romulans would be a playable faction at launch (as the STO site had the Romulan Star Empire symbol under its factions page at that time, together with the Klingon and Federation symbols). We also have a sizable number players completely new to STO, which is a good sign. What binds us together is that we all love the Romulans from the TV shows.
As the name implies, the fleet is an organization within the Romulan Military (specifically the Romulan Star Navy) with obvious similarities to the old Roman Praetorian guard created by Augustus. Learning the truth about the destruction of Romulus and the new allegiance of the Tal Shiar, the Praetorian Guard has decided to form an alliance of convenience with the Romulan Republic.
Who this guild is for:
- Players who love the Romulan Star Empire and the Romulans from the shows. Ruthless, cunning and with a massive superiority complex, yet with a moral compass and a strong sense of duty, pride and honor. The interesting villains that we have come to love basically. Most of the officers of the Praetorian Guard don't share the love D'Tan has for democracy and unification with the Vulcans, and if they have the chance they will simply restore the former Romulan Star Empire. With them in positions of power, naturally.
- Players who feel an alliance with the Federation and doing pacifistic missions for them simply doesn't fit the Romulans. The Romulans have allied with the Klingons before, either with the entire empire (TOS era military alliance) or with a specific house (House of Duras, TNG era) so it makes (more) sense for us to seek an alliance with one of the Klingon houses if not the Klingon government itself.
- Mature, friendly people making a new start as Romulans and looking for a family guild with a social focus. The aim of the guild is to simply have fun together while immersing ourselves with our Romulan characters through RP events, exploring the PvE content, building a starbase together, and doing various other activities like PvP or simply questing.
- All play styles are welcome! Are you a working adult without the time to put 10 hours a day in a game? No problem. Do you have more time to play? Great! Obviously our recruitment focus is on players who intend to RP their Romulan characters, however we also have a place for those that do not RP their characters but simply want the ambiance of a Romulan themed fleet, as long as the following conditions are met:
- Romulan or Reman captains only.
- Romulan/Reman ships only. (Klingon ship designs that are used by the Romulans like the D7 are naturally allowed, as are the Tal Shiar lockbox ships or any other future Romulan ships designed by Cryptic)
- Romulan/Reman suitable name. (We are not overly strict with this, as how does one define a Romulan or Reman name, but if your character is named EmperorShiiinzon you best move on.)
- In the future there will also be a recommended ship and uniform coloring, (darker than the traditional colours used by the RSE) which is voluntarily.
To apply to our fleet, please post an application on our temporary website.
The Romulan Praetorian Guard, otherwise known as the Tal Prai'ex, is one of the most prestigious organizations within the Romulan Star Navy. Originally created as the personal guard of the Emperor, the increasingly ceremonial role of that office as opposed to the growing power of the Praetor resulted in the Tal Prai'ex falling under direct command of the Praetor, although formally its primary task is still to enforce the will of the Emperor or Empress and to protect the royal family.
Although technically part of the normal chain of command within the Romulan fleet, the Tal Prai'ex ultimately only answers to the Praetor.
Though the officers of the Praetorian Guard are well known for their honor and respect to the common people, they also embody the romulan traits of ruthlessness, xenophobia, a contempt for non-Romulan species and an affinity for political intrigue: During the Reman coup led by Shinzon of Remus, the Tal Prai'ex was quick to lend its official support to Shinzon, whilst plotting with the part of the Imperial Fleet that refused to support Shinzon to have him assassinated on his return-trip from destroying Earth. After Shinzon was killed by the combined efforts of Donatra and the Enterprise-E, the Tal Pai'ex openly chose the side of Donatra in her power struggle with Praetor Tal'Aura.
When the Hobus supernova destroyed the Romulus system, the ships of the Praetorian Guard in orbit of Romulus refused the order from Admiral Taris to warp out of the system, their commanders preferring to die with their planet over the shame of failing in their ultimate duty.
In 2396 several surviving ships of the Praetorian Guard took part in the blockade of the planet Kevratas. General Tebok refused a direct order from Taris to fire on civilians, marking the beginning of the end of her political career. Six years later Sela appears with her fleet over Rator III and deposes Taris. The Praetorian Guard aligns itself with Sela who proclaims herself Empress.
However in the years that the Tal Prai'ex has been in service of Empress Sela, aiding in her plans for the restoration of the Romulan Star Empire, an uneasy friction has build up between the Imperial Star Navy and the Tal Shiar whose power under Sela's rule has increased exponentially. Recently a dark secret has found its way to the command staff of the Praetorian Guard, followed shortly after by the withdrawal of all their active vessels from disputed sectors. Several Federation intelligence reports mention battles between ships of the Tal Shiar and the Tal Prai'ex, and a sizable fleet has been reported heading for Klingon space, but to what end remains to be seen...
Due to lack of Interest, we will be merging with "Imperial Romulan Fleet" on the morrow. However, as the Tal Prai'ex is still an independent organisation, we, or I, will continue to up date this thread as such.