Career Officer
# 1 Driver updates
04-30-2014, 06:27 AM
So Season 9, like most people has given me major graphics issues.

I've had to resort to running the game with both sliders set to 'low'

This shouldn't be the case as I'm running a Quad Core Mac Pro with 12GB of Ram and a Nvidia GeForce card.

Anyway, I was looking at graphics card updates, when I found that Nvidia had brought out a new driver. So I've installed that, along with Cuda to see if it makes much of a difference. It's interesting that I now have an icon in my toolbar that allows me to switch between the Nvidia driver and the OSX standard one.

Early indications are good. I'm still not able to run at max, but it's better at least.

So far, I've only had time to walk around Drozana for a bit. Later tonight, I'll give ESD a go, as that seems to be causing problems with the new layout. If all goes well, I'll try the Undine Battlezone.

I know most of the graphics problems are at the Cryptic end, but any improvement is a good one!
Career Officer
# 2
05-01-2014, 03:00 AM
So I have done a bit of playing and I can now run most of the time with post processing turned on at least. That's a big change from before.

Only main exception are places like the Undine Battlezone where my frame rate drops ridiculously low, even with PP turned off.
Ensign
# 3
05-17-2014, 04:22 AM
If the developers read this:
Please optimize the engine or alter what it prioritizes for rendering STO.

It would be nice if they had the engine programmer optimize the performance a lot further.

The engine already seems to cut off most of the special effects (like weapons fire and torpedos), when there is a lot happening on the screen.

There has to be a lot of ground that can be won with stuff like drawcall batching or at least tweaking it so that your weapons (the local player) and nearby enemy fire (targeting the local player) gets prioritized before randomly selecting things to not draw.

This would go a long way to making combat feel more responsive (why are my weapons not firing? oh wait they are I just can't see it) and keeping important torpedos visible (instead of the invisible torpedos instantly killing you).

nVidia has a nice profiler to make the process easier, which the programmer could use to check what is causing the FPS drop.

Next up would be to fix the z fighting in the dyson sphere, seriously I thought it was my mobile geforce but now I am seeing the same thing on my desktop GTX 760 (whql 335.23 and beta drivers 337.50 and 337.81).
Captain
# 4
05-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymclaughlin View Post
So I have done a bit of playing and I can now run most of the time with post processing turned on at least. That's a big change from before.

Only main exception are places like the Undine Battlezone where my frame rate drops ridiculously low, even with PP turned off.

Any chance you could tell me which drivers you installed?

I am using AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB,.. I seem to have the same issues as you?