Lt. Commander
# 61
12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana169 View Post
Hi!

I'm thinking of picking up the new macbook air soon, but was wondering has anyone tried this on an air?

I'm looking at the 13" 1.3GHz i5 with intel HD4000 graphics and 4Gb of RAM.

If anyone has tried, i'd be interested in knowing if it's playable, preferably with graphics at least a bit above the minimum.

Thanks!
The new Macbook Air has an Intel HD 5000.

But yes, the HD 3000, 4000, and 5000 can run it. The last two can run nicely at medium-high settings too.
Ensign
# 62 10.6.8?
12-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Thank you STO developers for making this available for mac users, however...

it seems to me based off of my browsing in the forums, that many people are stuck in the same boat as me: OS X 10.6.8 and unable to update. Is it possible that once these bugs in the beta are sorted out that a version for 10.6.8 users could be released? If not does anybody have a way for us to play too? I have tried wineskin, but it doesn't seem to want to work for me...

any ways thanks team! and I hope to be playing one day soon!

Koiish
Ensign
# 63
01-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I am in exactly the same boat koiish and others are in: Mac Pro 1.1 running 10.6.8 and unable to update further due to the loss of Rosetta in subsequent versions.

My Mac Pro is pimped out with upgrades and easily exceeds the minimum hardware requirements, but the OS requirement of Lion takes me out. I find this extremely disappointing.

There are A LOT of Mac users still on 10.6 that are being excluded, a lot more than I think you guys realize.

I'm not saying you have to make sure everything works perfectly in 10.6, just that it has the chance to OPEN and RUN! I'm sure the only thing holding it back is something simple like an OS requirement check in the code.

STO Mac Devs: PLEASE at least let 10.6 be available to run it. You could simply say that it's not recommended.
Ensign
# 64 would these graphics work?
01-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Hello,
I have a mac pro that has all the system requirements bar one.

My graphics are nvidia 9400M. However the minimum requirements state that it needs to be a 9600M. So would it work?

It has a 256 mbz like the AMD as well.
Ensign
# 65 Recommended video mode?
01-28-2014, 11:35 PM
I have a 27 inch mac display.

What is the recommended resolution?
It seems to crash on ever version, windowed or full screen

Is it because my video card is not one of the ones listed?

System specs:

OS X 10.9.1
2 x 2.4 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon
16 GB 133 MHz DDR3
my HDD is a SDD if that matters

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 VRAM

I have a fiber optic connection to the internet.
Not based in the US
I get a ping test of 150ms to California
23.68 mbps download
26.92 mbps upload
Ensign
# 66
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
All of you running OS 10.6.8 and not wanting to upgrade (assuming you are running an actual Mac): Make a partition in Disk Utility and run the installer from a flash drive on boot up; this will allow you to install 10.9 on a separate partition.

You need to download the disk image version of 10.9 Mavericks. You can get this through the App Store. When you click on download or install, the download will place an icon in your Applications folder. Using 'Show Contents' and with a few other tricks, you can make a bootable USB install drive to do this: http://www.macworld.com/article/2056...all-drive.html

First, make sure you use disk utility to partition your main drive into two. Run the installer and select the new partition. Install.

To switch back and forth, reboot your Mac, and when you are first starting up hold the Apple key to bring up the fast-switcher. You can also do this in System Preferences.

I'd recommend at least a 50GB partition, possibly more depending on the size of the ST:O install and whatever else you want to run under Mavericks.

For those stuck using 10.6.8 for specialized apps or something else, you can follow an opposite version of this. You can create a new partition for Mavericks, restore to that partition using Migration Assistant all of the stuff from your old partition and then use Mavericks as your primary OS and revert to 10.6.8 for anything you need in those applications. Don't hold me responsible, but the migration should just copy everything to the new Mavericks partition and leave it all alone on the old one. BACKUP. Apple has pretty much nailed the migration and upgrade process, but you can never be too prepared.

I highly recommend OS X 10.9 for anyone stuck on 10.6.8. If you have software you need that doesn't run on 10.9 then, chances are, its not a terribly good piece of software or one that is no longer supported or will soon not be. Rosetta was great for those that needed older PPC applications when Apple switched to Intel, but that was 6+ years ago. For most people, there are apps that will do the same thing (faster and under current development) and other apps that enable file-format migrations.

For hackintoshers. Use Windows! You have a perfectly capable and (mostly) supported Windows machine that just happens to be running OS X. I assume since you completed the hackintosh process, you are familiar with how to do these kinds of things (partitioning, multiple boot volumes...). You were willing to pirate the copy of OS X you have, so Windows shouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure that, if there isn't already, there will be a hackintosh version of OS X 10.9 you can run.

Final note, OS X 10.9 Mavericks is perhaps the best thing to come to the Mac in a while. Fancy looking iOS-style apps and non-aqua scroll bars are a total misrepresentation of the work that went into Mavericks. There are, as mentioned by another user, a whole host of other changes under-the-hood, so to speak, that make everything faster and more efficient. Before Mavericks, a lot of older Macs would be locked out of upgrades at 10.7.5 for not meeting system requirements. Mavericks has overhauled so many things that the vast majority of previously unsupported Macs were brought back into the fold and allowed to upgrade again. Those computers (I run a 2007 iMac with Mavericks now) are even faster than they were at their end-of-life. This is due to the many backend changes.

Do not discard Mavericks because you can't run your older software on it. You should consider discarding that software to get Mavericks, as if you're throwing out CS5 to get CS6. Or, you can follow the stuff above to get both.
Ensign
# 67
05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Mac Minimum System Requirements:

• Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo
  • RAM: 4GB+
  • Hard Disk: 10GB Free Disk Space
  • Graphic Display: Intel HD3000 / Nvidia 9600M / AMD HD2600 with 256MB+ VRAM
  • Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
Then why doesn't the client work well with an i7 Mac Mini?

CPU: Way beyond minimum reqs (i7 2,3GHz quad core)
RAM: 4GB, Minimum, but within reqs. (16 will be installed later)
HDD: More than enough!
Graphics: Intel HD4000 1024MB, more than reqs.
Network: As if someone would like to play a MMORPG without a Broadband connection. It works fine on 3G mobile connection, by the way.

Everything is within requirements, but IT DOESN'T WORK! I only get about 15-20 minutes of game time before it freezes up like it was spaced from an air lock.